1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2013 TE449 Gearing

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Mike Dan, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Mike Dan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nighthawk 650, WR 250r, IT 175, Etc
    I recently purchased a new 2013TE449. I had the "power up" program flashed before I picked it up. The bike runs great, and has good power, but with stock gearing, top end is 78mph. I would like to ride on the highway between trails without taching the snot out of the engine. Has anyone changed the gearing on your 449 or 510? What ratios did you chose? Are you happy with the change? Did it hurt your off road climbing ability.
  2. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    If your bike only goes 78mph, I think your still not running as well as possible.
    Jumper in? Showing "race map"? I hardly ever run mine over 55 or 60 for very long, but
    It has for short distances been past 85 and still climbing strong.
    You can change the gearing, but I really like the lower gearing off road and that is where I
    want top performance. If you still have the catylitic converter in your exhaust, it really
    chokes the bike up....
  3. jasonmt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11' TXC 449, 11' TE 630, 11' TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ninja 1000, ZX7R, 300 XC-W Christini
    With stock gears/power up/Akra can my TXC 449 would hit ~145km/h on the GPS maxed out in 5th, changing to a 14 tooth CS sprocket and adding a JD tuner it will now hit ~155km/h in 6th.
  4. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Stock gears on a decatted Farconni big can on my 511 would reach 97mph before re-flashing the ecu. You must still have the stock exhaust on it.
  5. Mike Dan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've been told that there is no cat in my stock exhaust. I have taken the spark arrester out. It sounds good and seemed to uncork the exhaust a good bit. I agree with you about liking the low gearing for tight woods riding, but I think the bike will pull taller gearing fine. I find myself not using 1st gear, unless I almost come to a complete stop. The bike chugs along on the street in 6th at 35mph comfortably, and I have to shift through the gears like mad under moderate acceleration. Since front sprockets are relatively cheap, I will probably buy one that is one tooth smaller.
  6. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    Gearing is always a choice, but something is still not right if 78mph is "it" in top gear..
    I would find out why, your missing performance.
  7. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    My stock bike does 78 MPH with a 14 tooth counter shaft sprocket.
  8. henson802 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Sounds exactly like my TE 250 haha.. What's the factory Sprocket size for these TE449s? I have an older 450 and use 14 counter and 48.. You may want to try 15 counter and 48 rear maybe??

And what's so odd about top end at 75-80 mph for a 450cc bike geared for off road? That actually seems on the high end to be honest for sustainability.
  9. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    I still would find out why the bike will not pull in top gear. It may indicate a problem that will show up later.
    If the catylitic converter is out, and it is in race map II, you bike is not right, changing gearing to mask it
    Is not wise.
  10. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    It doesn't sound decatted is all.
  11. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    Before I put 17" rims and tyres on my TE 449 2013 it easily went to 85.
  12. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    On what basis are you assuming it is decatted Mike Dan. Decatting the 449 big can is not a trivial matter (unlike the 250/310) is why I ask. Or are you using a different muffler. For the record, my 449 pulls 15/40 gearing on the street just fine without cat, however due to the close ratio gearbox that compromises it for off-road use. Im only experimenting with the tall gear to see how the bike works with more relaxed top end rpms for those short stints on I-5.

On my off-road only 511 I actually drop the CS to 14 so I can use the full range of all the gears..including 6th...when racing.
  13. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    Decatting that muffler requires drilling out the rivets on the end, and some serious cutting.
    Most dealers will not remove it.
    oregonsage likes this.
  14. Mike Dan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    I guess that the catalytic converter is still in the stock muffler, but I think the lack of top end speed is more of an issue with the gearing and engine map. The engine pulls strong until it reaches high rpm. It feels and sounds as if the ignition is being rpm limited. Stock gearing is 15/51. Top speed is the same with the spark arrester in or out. I think if it were an issue of back pressure, I would see a higher top speed with the screen out. I do notice more power throughout the rpm range without it.
    I live in Charlotte, NC and would like to use outer loop 485 to access trails. Cruising at 70 with the current gearing revs the motor more than I like. I just need a better compromise for gearing. I will probably start with a 16 tooth front sprocket.
    I appreciate the comments and advice. I have been looking at the Power Commander and have thought about replacing the huge stock muffler too. Right now though, I think I will spend 20 bucks on a sprocket to see if that helps.
  15. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    It isn't, what's happening is there is a null in the stock map at 7000rpm limiting you to accelerate further. With an ecu map change you will be able to rev to 11,000 rpms but that may also require the change in exhaust silencer. Stock gearing will take you well beyond your limits of speed on the tarmac, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't experiment with your gearing.
  16. motomanic Husqvarna
    A Class

So how do you iron out the 7000rpm flat spot, I queried this on another thread where you said this was my problem, I've the JD tuner and its become very noticeable , need to get rid of it.
  17. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    The bike is choked up, the catylitic converter IS THE PROBLEM.
    look at the thread on here on how to do it, it's free!
    Or get an aftermarket exhaust, then you will see,
    The remap is as cheap as sprockets, and Decat is free,,
    Then change gearing if you like...your engine will pull
    Stronger everywhere, and probably last longer.
    Motochick likes this.
  18. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    I wouldnt call it 'free' I lost a lot of blood and several cutoff wheels in my quest to open up the can :D
    SDPUTTER and James Patton like this.
  19. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    Your right, better to just buy the FMF or something and not fight it, if it's not your thing.
  20. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    In the end I got the stealth setup I was looking for, which an FMF would not provide. Even the TXC Akra can is a bit loud for quiet street use. The blood and time and cutting were 'probably' worth it :thumbsup:
    toolguy1 and James Patton like this.