1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 2012 WR125 floating ground Ducati Energia

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Sissipaska, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Sissipaska Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR125, 2013 TE250R *SOLD*
    I'm in the process of adding a battery and running a new front LED light, and potentially some helmet lights from the battery on my 2012 WR125 with the Ducati Energia 300W system.

On other bikes I've floated the stator ground (cut and soldered a new wire on to the lighting coil ground on the stator "plate") thus having two AC leads running up to a new REG-REC with two AC inputs. Then removed the frame ground for the lights on the main loom.

I'm a bit confused which wire to cut on the stator.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

1:
    BROWN: to AC-IN on REG
    2:
    BLACK: to CDI

I'm leaning towards 2 but not sure.
  2. Sissipaska Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I've started measuring and cutting.

1 and BROWN are connected in the same point. This point is isolated from ground.

2 and BLACK are connected to ground.

2 is looping all the way back to 1 and BROWN, connecting the circuit to ground.

I've cut off 2 from the stator and pulled it straight to be soldered to a new wire going to the new REG-REC. The ground is now floating.

The BLACK wire is left as is, going to the CDI.

My concern now is how to feed the CDI with 12V. If I take 12V DC from the battery I'm thinking I'll need a switch to shut off the power to the CDI.
  3. Sissipaska Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Update: all done. Floated stator ground, new REG-REC with 2 AC power inputs.

Bike works great and is charging around 12.8V at idle with the 25W LED headlight on and around 14.5V at anything above idle. All connections done with waterproof connectors.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

All I need now is s battery tray and a switch for the 12V feed to the CDI. I will hide the switch so it will double as an anti-theft device.

The LED as well as the original headlight has gotten a new 4-pin connector so swapping between headlight masks should be done in seconds in the future.
  4. Sissipaska Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Here's some info on how I did the floating ground conversion:

[IMG]

The lifted ground was just cut from the stator plate and then soldered on some new wire. I use lead rosin core solder and flux paste.

[IMG]

A quick overview how I did the connections. I also made a ground eyelet from battery ground to the subframe to ensure that the kill-switch would work regardless of the battery being connected or not.