1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2012 TE310 Surging

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Snoho310, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Snoho310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Been lurking for awhile & unfortunately found a reason to post. Bought the bike new in 2012 and it was uncorked and powered up by the dealer. Had the typical starter & flame out issues and a different dealer fixed that along with re-flashing the ECU to European specs. The bike has run flawlessly until this weekend when it started to surge between 7,400 & 8,000 rpm when trying to hold rpm at cruise.Any other RPM there is no issue and when watching the tach the RPMs actually drop about 400 and then go back every 5-10 seconds. The problem does not happen if I roll through the rpms while accelerating.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Probably a little lean.

Richen uo CO1 and CO2 a bit.
  3. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    What oil are you using?
  4. Snoho310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    I am using Castrol RS 4T 10-50 Synthetic, the same oil since new. I would guess adjusting the CO levels would require a visit to the dealers which I am trying to avoid because I want to go riding this weekend. I was hoping a loose ground or a ecu reset by disconnecting the battery is the fix but I suppose that is wishful thinking.

Thanks for helping.

Brian
  5. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    You might want to try switching to a lighter oil like Mobil 1 0W40. There have been some cases of oil starvation at the main bearings at sustained high RPM. I'm wondering if your surging is not an early warning. Might possibly be a failing fuel pump as well?
  6. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Maybe a dirty injector. Possibly some techron or other and run it through the revs a few times prior to any fueling changes. Mobil 1 0w-40 will increase idle speed at startup but not sure if would affect actually running/fueling at high rpms.
  7. Snoho310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    I had added center mount hand guards and a bar pad since I last road & went back over everything to make sure I didn't knock a wire loose. I noticed the vent hose had kinked where it goes under the pad and when releasing the gas cap I heard a little woosh. The weird thing is the problem goes away above 8,000 rpm or below 7,400 so I have a feeling it is ECU or TPS related but I will go for a ride tonight and find out.

Thanks for the help, I do have seafoam & techron might add a little it can't hurt.
    Brian
  8. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Pssst...don't say "Seafoam" around Tinken...
  9. Snoho310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Thanks for the warning. I am guessing WD40, Bailing wire & Duct tape also should not be used in a sentence describing a possible fix. Well at least I know a Zip Tie is not off limits.
  10. bensl Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610, te310
    Other Motorcycles:
    ducati diavel
    did you sort this out? my 12 310 has surging problems too. only seems to happen in a certain rev range but is very noticeable. any ideas on a solution? do i need a ibeat or something? bit beyond my knowledge these efi bikes...
  11. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    So snoho, you say your dealer reflashed a TE310 ECU? Ummm, that would be a first since they are locked and can't be re flashed. The modifications that can be done to a 2012 TE310 ECU is changing the CO levels and eliminating the lambda which doesn't do much. The only way I know to really address the poor ECU mapping is to replace the ECU with a TXC model and swap out the fuel injector to a 12 hole version. Doing this will dramatically change the bike. Re flashing to Euro mapping is a KTM thing and doesn't apply to your bike so it seems your dealer is telling you a mis truth?
    Mike-AK and Alberto like this.
  12. Snoho310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Let me clarify the words re flash were mine not his, so I guess the correct word would be settings which he changed. The dealer only deals in European bikes so he referred to the changes as European spec. Sorry for any confusion but I am pretty sure I did not tell anyone to go out and get their ECU re flashed as a fix to a problem. To answer Bensl question the problem still persist occasionally but it is rare that I stay at that rpm for any period of time. Does anyone know if disconnecting the battery would reset the ECU & TPS?
  13. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    ibeat software is what you need to properly setup the TPS.
  14. HuskyKT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310 & 2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    4 Suzuki GV1200 Madura
    I am late getting in on this but I just found something major. My 310 ran like shit till I had the 12 port and new ECU. Then it was a dog. Halls richen end it up and it ran better. Then it went back to running like shit. I am old school so I started looking at the basics. I found the throtle butterfly closing tight against the bore so I adjusted the stop screw. Better but still spit and sputtered below 8 grand. I took off the TPS/MAP/ATS and found the problem. There was gunk, grim, carbon plugging the holes that go to the MAP sensor and the O ring was dissolved in places. You can't buy the seal so after a good cleaning I took 1/16" thick O rings and supper glue and mad a seal. It is now a new bike. No spitt-n-sputter, no stalling takes off from a stop with very little throttle. :) But :mad: That the dealers did find this. The sensor is on the left side of the throttle body.