2012 Husqvarna Txc250 (missing Starter??)

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by William Newton, Mar 15, 2021.

1. William Newton Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC250
    Hey there, new to the group and new to owning Husqvarna. So thanks for letting me join.

I'm hoping somebody can help me out. I recently purchased a 2012 Husqvarna TXC 250. It is electronic fuel injection. Before I picked it up, I did some quick research, seems that they were built with both electric and kickstart.

However when I got to the person's house to pick up the machine, he told me that it is a race bike and does not have electric start. I said okay no problem, kick starts just fine and mechanically everything checks out.

On further inspection I can see clearly that the right handlebar control switches have the electric start button. Additionally he provided me the official owner's manual that came with the bike along with the title of ownership. Even the owner's manual, in the engine start procedure section, it walks you through priming if the engine is cold, and then it says to press the electronic start button.

So I am at a loss, when I press the electronic start button, nothing happens. Both the owners manual calls out the electronic start and the handlebars obviously have the start button there.

Did they make models of this bike that did not have electric start? And maybe they just had the button on there in case it was added? Or is it more likely that I am just missing a sequence to hit the electric start properly or maybe there is just an issue with the wiring or the starter motor.

The other confusion is that I am having a difficult time identifying the location of the starter motor. I know sometimes they can be built into the motor quite well and not very visible.

I will appreciate any input, information, resources, pictures, anything at all. I would just really really love for this to be electric start. I'm hoping that someone can at least verify that this model definitely came with an electronic start, additionally if someone can verify the physical location of the starter motor and where I can find the necessary wiring to start troubleshooting, and basic steps to start troubleshooting if it should indeed have an electric start.

Thanks in advance, hope to get some good information out of this.
  2. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    He took it off to race OR it failed as many did and since it started nicely with a kickstart never replaced it. There was a factory parts recall of some sort
  3. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Pics
    this is a 2012 TE310. Not that you can tell but it has a TXC ECU and 12 pt injector. The starter motors can probably survive if the valves are adjusted properly (exhaust). If you have a question you can research it on here...a LOT of threads. Many people got parts and rebuilt starters but the “cure” IMO was the exhaust valve adjustment. My dealer, George Erl @Uptite did the adjustment before It ever was a problem. I don’t know how he knew to do it but I think he could see the starter motor struggling against the high compression...714-889-1576 is George’s number. 8-5M-F

Attached Files:

4. William Newton Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC250
    Thanks a lot, those pics are helpful. It definitely makes sense that someone might pull it if it had issues or they raced. I'll be able to confirm when I get home, but based on your pictures - I'm thinking that mine is definitely missing. So based on what you said - if the starter isn't there. He likely just pulled it or the original owner pulled it. So you think this motor/bike was definitely meant to have an electric start and I should be able to install one if it is missing? Also, if he pulled it out, I should probably see an exposed/open area where the starter motor would need to connect into the motor gears to fire it up yea? How many screws / bolts hold in your starter? I can try to spot some empty bolt/screw holes in the engine case, that might help me
  5. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    William Newton likes this.
  6. William Newton Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC250
    Just sent to you an email, you can just respond to that. Thanks a lot, really appreciate it.