1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2011 TXC Cutting out when engine hot

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Dirtbikeerdad, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Dirtbikeerdad Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC 511, 2012 TXC 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    GasGas 300, 1974 Hodoka Super Combat
    Love my husky's but, this one has been the most challenging so far. Initially I had the flame out like most everyone else but, with a little tweaking to my map and igot that resolved. I ride/race woods and road a bit through the winter then, the first day it was 70 degrees out my bike started cutting out after riding it about an hour and got so bad I had to stop. Once it cooled down it ran great and got me back to camp. Bypassed my power commander, changed plug, checked wiring none seemed to help. Next day of trip decided to ride fire roads to try and keep it cool and salvage what I could of trip. Ran okay ( not great but manageable) for about 3 hours then went back to running like crap. Barely made it back. Cutting out spittin and sputtering. Like coil is getting hot and breaking down. Got it home it was only 45 degrees out so I covered the radiators so I could get it up to temp. Usually started acting up at about 146 degrees on water temp. It ran fine had as high as 200 degrees ( water temp) my thought and question is this: it seems I have to have the actual engine temp/oil temp hot before acting up. Like when it is warm out and I'm in tight wiids and feeling heat off engine. Any ideas guys??
  2. kenaroo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TCX 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha super Tenere
    might be the stator when it gets hot it stops the charging.
  3. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    We just had one of these dong the same thing with over 75+ hours diagnostic time and swapping every single component includeing wire harness and adding a extra ground wire from plug cap/coil ground to frame it still did it ?We bolted on a used fuel pump and could never get it to die again its being tested right now to see if that fixed it,Good luck.
    Trenchcoat85 and Tinken like this.
  4. Dirtbikeerdad Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the tips, very discouraging, right at the hieght of riding/racing season. Will let you know when resolved.
  5. eddychecker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TCX250 & 2013 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KTM 450XCW
    Maybe a fuel filter is clogged, overheating the pump?
  6. kenaroo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TCX 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha super Tenere
    any update on fix?
  7. Dirtbikeerdad Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Update, Sent to Hall's (Best Husky dealership) Heck best dealership of any kind I have ever worked with and been dealing with them over 20 years. They were unable to get it to repeat due to the dang cold weather we keep having. (if Jay could hear it, he would know right away) anyway they ended up replacing the coil. I finally took it out yesterday, it was about 75 degrees out. rode about 40 minutes, got in the woods to get bike as warmed as I could about 175-190 degrees (fan kicks on at 200) was running great, thought it was resolved. Then, another 5 minutes or so, right back to the sputtering and running like crap. I so love this bike when it is running but, starting to get a bit discouraged. I did stop the bike for a minute and noticed a whistling (was the pressure in fuel tank, thought I had it figured out but, no deal, loosened cap and no change) Next I will see it the pressure on the fual tank was sucking in or outward, I did not pay attention. Calling Jay in a few minutes, I am very confident he will get it figured out and when he does I will post again. He really knows his stuff, rarely does he get a stumper, this bike must be female ha! Like the idea on the fuel pump overheating, that is a very good therory I will ask. Bike has a condensor at rear of cylinder not sure about it and an air box temp switch. I am going to change out the coolant switch tonight and if weather is hot enough going to test that out because I already have one and for $15 it's worth eliminating but, not expecting any positive results from that. If you think of anything let me know. My thoughts right now are leaning towards the fuel pump. Mike
  8. Dirtbikeerdad Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hey Kenaroo, good point. I will inquire on that as well. It's really hard to tell if it is fuel or ignition sometimes they are difficult to differeniate.
    Eddy Checker, Thanks for the tip on the fuel filter/Pump idea. I will see what they have to say, back to the shop it goes. Arrg.
  9. eddychecker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TCX250 & 2013 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KTM 450XCW
    Mostly I say good luck. I hate it when my trips get ruined because of gremlins.
  10. Dirtbikeerdad Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just found out today. They changed out lower tank ( houses the fuel pump and filter assy) and resolved problem. To be sure they put mine back on and problem returned. The Verdict is faulty fuel pump. Their going to get just a pump to save cost and add some heat shielding for added security against the heat from engine. Hope to have it for this weekend trip to summit bluff in Missouri. Yay
  11. Dirtbikeerdad Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Another good suggestion. Was the first thinged they changed out after the ignition coil didn't fix it.
  12. Dirtbikeerdad Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well after all the diagnosing and head scratching apparently it's a faulty fuel pump. Hard to diagnose when having intermittent issue or should I say only acted up when outside temp above 70F and heat from engine triggered it to spit and sputter. If it's ready this Saturday I will be picking it up and giving it a good test in the hot weather of Missouri if we don't get rained out. Not that rain will stop us. Lol. Thanks guys for all the good tips. I hope this helps ya'all out. I have seen fuel pumps online with lifetime warranty for around $70.00 US. If your doing your own wrenching.
  13. Rick Clark Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TCX 250i
    Just had the same problem with my 2011 TXC 250. Had trouble with starting bike after getting hot, noticed fuel pump would not run until bike cooled down. Will replace it. However have a question have never seen my fan run ever, is there a way I can check it to see if it does work ?
  14. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    We work with Hall's and Bills Motorcycle + who actually called this earlier in the thread. Both great shops. Some of those online fuel pumps are not so great. The CaCycle works pump is really good and we have them in stock, your CH discount applies to them. :thumbsup:
  15. Shovelhead85 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400R, '75 DT400B, FLH Shovel, CT90
    hunh. I was gonna guess a venting problem (the header tank uses the vent for the main tank; both have long runs). And in the category of "too little, too late" I would submit: didja insure that BOTH petcocks were fully open. <-- that one is gonna bite someone in the ass someday, 'specially if a petcock is open just enough to refill the header tank in, say, a half hour or more. :banghead: The bike probably would run great for 10-20 minutes or idle for an hour maybe (longer then most shops would test) before sputtering to a stop.

Congrats on the solution, nevertheless.
  16. Dirtbikeerdad Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I forgot to mention. There was a bunch of black crap in the bottom of my tank and also the filter which, of course they cleaned tank and now has new pump and filter assy. I do have a question/idea. I am searching for a screen/filter bag or something that would slip into my duel tank at the filler under the cap to prevent any crap from filling at a station when I have to. I have seen them for other bikes but not husky's at least not anything but 2014-15 models. Something like this. Would be awesome when forced to fill up directly from pump. http://justgastanks.com/index.php?cPath=153_881
  17. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    http://profill-australia.com/e-store/HOME.html

Get one of ProFill's filters. I have had one on my 310 for months now and perfect fit, Not sure how fine the debris in your tank but these filters a good preventative remedy for anything that may make it's way past the filler cap.
  18. Shovelhead85 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400R, '75 DT400B, FLH Shovel, CT90
    What about an inline filter between the tanks? Can anyone think of a good reason for not doing it?