1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2011 Te310 Starter Problem

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Coyote1000, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Coyote1000 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 Tiger 800 XCX
    I have a 2011 TE310 and the starter was working great, started right up no problems. I was out on a ride and the starter started to not engage. It just spins like the bending is not engaging. Looking at the parts list these starters have a worm gear. I’m not familiar with that system so I thought I’d ask for any wisdom before I pull it apart. There isn’t any grinding or odd noises just the starter spinning. The battery is new and charged. Are the starters the same for 2011 to 2014, I have looked for parts and the worm gear is unavailable for the 2011 but appears that it has been superseded to the same as the 2013. Thanks in advance for any help. Jeff
  2. xliteredhead Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te310 red head
    If the starter motor is spinning and engine not cranking, i would definately pull the stator cover (left) and check that the locking key between the flywheel and crank is in place, as well as everything else between the worm gear and crank, like sprag clutch, etc.
    https://shop.italhusky.com/en/products/2011/tc-te-txc-250-310
  3. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    A bad sprag (AKA starter clutch) would be my first guess. A broken ring gear might cause your issue, but there should be bad noises too. next, (but way down the list) would be the key and/or nut for the bevel gears (the key actually drives the gear here; it's not for alignment).

I am assuming it kick starts and runs fine (which would pretty much eliminate the rotor key being sheared).

The starter drive train should be the same on the xlites (2011-2014) I would think. They updated the worm/ring gear in 2013 because of failures.

you could try putting it in gear and rolling backwards slightly... and gently. I've never heard of this, but if you do it gently it won't hurt anything. gently. (btw: bike off, clutch out).
  4. hhdwtmtw He who dies with the most toys wins...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE300, '11 TE449, '10 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
    Check out the post on http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/sprag-clutch-part-numbers.41148/

If you have trouble sourcing the Husky part then try a sprag clutch from a 2005 honda crf250x (part number 28125-MT7-004). Turns out it's a common OEM item used in lots of makes of bike.

Make sure you note the direction of the pawls in the sprag clutch and put the new one in the same way. It's a one way clutch so you'll need to ensure you install it the right way.
  5. Coyote1000 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 Tiger 800 XCX
    Thanks for the info guys. I have been reading all the posts I could find and the one way clutch sounds like the culprit. I am going to order those parts and a flywheel puller. My second issue is that I tried the starter a few times to see if it would catch and the solenoid started clicking with no starter actuation. So I probably have to order that too. Oh well. Jeff
  6. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    The solenoid is just a relay- could be bad (pitted) but check first.

Same with the sprag- make sure its bad before you replace this $90-140 part.

You're gonna need a puller for the rotor too. oops- skimmed your post too fast. Looks like you understand what you're gonna need.

Lotsa threads on this poorly designed starting system. Read up on it; ask questions. You should get plenty of help here- lots of us have been through it.

Good luck.
  7. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    two quick things:
    • does your bike kickstart and run okay?
    • take lotsa pictures when we start getting into the technical questions.
  8. Coyote1000 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 Tiger 800 XCX
    Thanks, ya it kick starts first kick almost every time. I appreciate the help. It’s nice to have the kick start so you don’t have to panic about fixing it. Part of the fun is learning about the bike.
  9. xliteredhead Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te310 red head
    I had this exact same thing happen to me, and it was just a flat battery! So i recomend to check that. Dont be as stupid as me and only check for 12,7 volts or whatever. You need to crank the battery in a device that checks volts during cranking power, wich i believe is 350 w or something. I thought the battery was fine and took the starter motor apart. Didnt "see" anything wrong in there, put it back together and connected another battery, and it worked. Put it back in the bike with a new battery and it turned, but i had assembled the magnet cylinder wrong, so it just spun the sprag clutch in the wrong direction, leaving the crank not turning. Learning by failing as they say! Lol
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  10. Coyote1000 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 Tiger 800 XCX
    So I finally got around to pulling my bike apart. Assumed it was the one way clutch so ordered that and a flywheel puller. I pulled the starter off and discovered that the little woodruff key on the starter planetary gear had sheared off. It had just spun at first but then a piece of the key got stuck in the gears. There appears to be no damage so I ordered a new key and a couple of extras to keep on hand.
  11. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    this is the key in the bevel gear to the starter you're talking about? (and not the on the flywheel?)

very cool. you got off cheap. look for other damage just in case- I'm thinking the worm and the ring gear here, maybe the case where the starter drive bolts into.

bevel gear key.jpg
    Dangermouse449 likes this.