1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2011 TE310 replacement starter gear part number?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by DRCA, May 20, 2019.

1. DRCA Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310, 2013 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR650R/Scorpa SY250F/Gas Gas TXT Pro
    Ok, my 2011 TE310 has the dreaded e-start problem, here are the details:

• Bike kick starts on the first kick when using the kickstarter
    • Electric starter can't turn the engine over (you hear the relay click and depending where the engine stopped in the stroke the estart might be able to move the engine a few degrees)
    • If I take the sparkplug off, the e-start is able to turn the engine over (altho not with much gusto!).
    • I checked the exhaust valve clearance (0.022) and went one shim size up to bring it to 0.017. That didn't help!
    • Jump starting of my truck battery doesn't help (so at least it's not the battery)
    So next thing is probably changing the worm gear set (and if that doesn't work then the starter itself).
    I have the following part number for the kit:
    Husqvarna OEM Starter Transmission Kit - 8539725
    Can someone confirmed that this is the part number for the updated (hardened) parts and that's for the kit?
    To replace the gears, I'll need a flywheel puller (M26 X1.5 RH Female) and what else? Flywheel holder?
    Thanks.
    DC
  2. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

!'m sure all the starter gears in stock at this point are hardened.

ZipTy Racing makes an awesome flywheel holder.

I have one.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  3. DRCA Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310, 2013 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:

I ordered the gears and a flywheel puller, took everything apart swapped the gear, put the flywheel back in and... the starter turns the engine over now! I just need to put the cover back on, fresh oil and I'll see if it's enough to start the engine.

For the flywheel holder, I ended up making my own :)

2019-05-29 19.11.26 (Custom).jpg

Attached Files:

Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  4. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    is that wood?

hell, why not?
  5. WWWRU Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310

So it this the correct part#?
  6. DRCA Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310, 2013 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yep, worked for my bike. Pretty easy job if you have the flywheel tools. Got mine from MotoSport.com, they have them for $131 + Free ship!
    WWWRU likes this.
  7. WWWRU Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    DRCA, do you have any issues with the bike flaming out?

Mine is shearing flywheel keys when it flames out, so I ended up going kicker only (removed every estart component), but I really miss the magic button, especially in the middle of a nasty hill climb!! Just trying to see if there is a way to have a reliable estart TE310.
  8. DRCA Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310, 2013 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Flameout is bad... The funny part is that when the bike flames out, it resets the odometer day trip (talk about a big spike in the electrical system).

My bike is a 2011 TE310 and I have upgraded to the 12 holes injector and TXC ECU, but that doesn't solve the problem. I've been thinking about messing around with electronic setup (I have the cable and software), but I just don't have the time (and it's not a bike I ride very often anyways).

The e-start is pretty weak (even with a bigger battery) but on the plus side, kick starting is pretty easy and reliable.

I haven't had any problem (yet?) with the flywheel key. But I don't see how using the e-Start vs the kick start would affect the flywheel key.

I am probably going to sell the bike in the next few weeks anyways, might put back the old injector and ECU and sell them separate (they are impossible to find these days).
    WWWRU likes this.
  9. xlite250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE250
    you should look at getting your starter motor rebuilt at Ricks Motorsport Electrics, they rebuild my starter for 2010 TE250. I also had my valves reshimmed to .006"/.15mm, turns over no problem now.
  10. DRCA Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310, 2013 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, after changing the worm gearset for the starter the starter was able to turn the engine over, but barely.

So before sending the started for a rebuilt (close to $200 when all taken into account), I took the starter apart, sanded the area where the brushes make contact with the stator (this was really glazed over) and sanded the tip of the brushes too (length was fine). Put it all back together and mounted in the bike.

The I traced back the connection between the starter motor and the battery (positive lead) and sanded ALL the connections to insure proper connection. I might run a thick lead from the negative of the battery to the starter body next.

Put everything together, pushed the starter button and the starter whiiiiiiirs along happily. Only problem: the starter freewheel / clutch is dead now, so the engine wasn't turning over. Arrrg!

Found a reasonably priced one on eBay, so I'll wait to get it to test again.

Bummer!
    xlite250 likes this.
  11. RomanNoven Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te250 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    djebel 200
    so if starter rotates engine half or full or tow times and then stops like something is balk or stuck...

i should change 1- stator 2- freewheel 3- worm gearset ??