1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2011 Te310 Fuel Pump Issue -- Or Is It?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by ADHD, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ADHD Husqvarna
    B Class

Had my 310 for about 4 months now - lovin it. But...yesterday out riding for about an hour or so in a HOT & HUMID NC trail system when this happens... I'm going through a tight area and stall it in 2nd gear at low rpms. No big deal, done it plenty of times. But this time it seems to make a much more noticeable "clunking" sound when it stalls, hmmm. I try to restart it and it starts fine and revs for a second and quickly stalls. Try again - same thing. After a few more of this it will not fire at all. At first I'm really worried that the motor has lost compression but I let it sit for about 5 mins and it starts up again and runs with seemingly no problems. Ride it for about another 15 mins and stall it again under similar circumstances. Once again no restart. This time I notice the buzzing noise when the fuel pump primes seems to sound a bit different, like its struggling. Let it sit for a few and viola, back to life. Ride it back to the parking lot and take a break. After about 10 mins go back to restart and now I don't hear any buzzing sound from the fuel pump at all and of couse the bike won't start. I can clearly hear the relay clicking but no priming sound from the pump. I figure fuel pump failure and pack it in for home.

24 hours later I try to start it again and no problems-runs great, fuel pump before startup is buzzing as normal. Rode it around the block a few times and no issues.

Sorry for the long description but I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm taking it back to the dealer for service but I'm afraid he'll say he can't find anything wrong and later on it'll just do the same thing -- probably once the warranty has run out.

Ideas???

FYI-the bike has the power up performed at the dealer and only has about 20 hrs on it.
  2. DG Harv Serv Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sounds like fuel starvation ? The fuel pumps on 011s are different to older models , they have a different Filter system too .

I would remove pump unit from tank , and check .

The different sound is probably the unit pumping "air" until system under pressure ( same as after removing Fuel Tank ).
  3. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Sounds exactly my symptoms, when fuel pump got corroded/sticky inside, heat would make the problem worse. I've had zero problems since I replaced just the pump with aftermarket.
  4. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Yea I am kinda leaning toward fuel starvation, or vacuum/pressure in tank. What kind of vent hose/valve do you have on the fuel cap? Try a straight hose and see if that helps.

I hate to think the pump is going bad- but I am optimistic and always start with the small/ free or cheap problems.
  5. DG Harv Serv Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good call ! I once had one of those little "Beathers" on Fuel Tank vent hose on a TE 450 and had some dramas ! Went back to standard piece of pipe and cured all the problems .

I will never fall into that "bling" trap again !!!
  6. ADHD Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks for all the responses. It did occur to me at the time that it may be a venting problem so I did loosen the gas cap and listened for a rush of air but nothing. Also the vent hose I have is just the straight stock hose. I think I'll try giving the fuel pump a good cleaning and see what happens. Maybe ethanol gas gumming up the works is the culprit.
  7. DavidB Husqvarna
    A Class

Who makes an aftermarket fuel pump and where can I buy one? I have a 2011 310 and I don't want this problem. Thanks.
  8. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    13TE300Berg,07KTM525EXC,13 HusWR165
    HuskyTaylor likes this.
  9. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    ADHD, did you every get your problem sorted out? I'm always interested to hear the conclusions to people's bike issues.
  10. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:
    G450X, HP2E, 10 R12ADV, GasGas280
    That one won't work on a '11 Xlight 250/310, different pump assembly on the '11

I would pull the tank off of the bike, set it on a cart next to the bike with tank empty lay it on it's right side, remove pump assembly from front left lower lobe and then stick the pump assembly in a 1/2 gallon of fuel with the fuel filter and lines visible and not submerged.. Then engergize the pump and see if you get any leaks from the system. If you have a bad filter then according to Husky it means replacing the whole pump assembly, however I'm working on sourcing the OEM filter directly today as a matter of fact. There is also a mechanical fuel pressure regulator at the output of the tank (where the fuel line to the injector connects to) that can also be suspect. If you have no visible leaks from the filter, make a fuel pressure guage set-up with some hose and a barbed T fitting so you can monitor what PSI the pump/regulator are supplying the injector and if you have any immediate bleed down of pressure after shut-off/key-off. There should be residual pressure for at least 20-30 seconds and nominal PSI should be around 40psi in a good working system, once it gets below 38-35psi there will be a low-end bog.
  11. Dave W Husqvarna
    B Class

I had an issue with my (2 mo) old TE310 not starting. Here were the symptoms and the fix:

Symptoms:
    - Wouldn't start but could here a click when tried to electric start
    - Didn't here the fuel pump "prime" the motor (1-2 second sound)
    - Kick-start didn't work

Diagnostic and Fix:
    - Removed temp sensor (brass plug behind motor) and tried starting. No success.
    - Tested battery voltage. ~12V (down to ~8-9 volts when attempting to start). Not the issue.
    - Removed tank (make sure you have a rag to catch the gas when you unclip the fuel hose.
    - Removed fuel pump assembly from insiide take,

Immediately identified likely culprit. The fuel pump was zip-tied but had "slipped" about an inch above the plastic housing. This was likely causing fuel to go directly into the pump without being filtered first. The pump likely sucked up a piece of dirt. Removed pump and hooked up to the 12V batter directly. No motor spin. Was able to reverse voltage and engage the motor so I knew something was stuck. Keep in mind, you should only apply direct voltage for a second or so when the pump isn't submerged in fuel as it will likely damage it. I took a screwdriver lightly banged on the side of the pump while applying voltage for 1-2 seconds at a time. Eventually that jarred lose whatever debris was in the pump and it spun right up. Reinstalled with a vertical zip-tie so the pump would stay in the filter casing. Has worked like a charm ever sense!

Hope that helps.
  12. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None right now :(
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Good to know and I agree, be careful on applying voltage to the pump itself.
  13. ADHD Husqvarna
    B Class

- Update -

Sorry for the delay but back in August I had the fuel pump and relay replaced (at no cost - warranty!) and no more issues. The bike ran great for 6 months but now the restarting problem is back only this time its worse! The problem began every time I'd have a hard stall (usually during a difficult hill climb). When trying to restart, the bike would turn over but would refuse to fire unless I let it sit for about 5 minutes - then it would run great. Little by little this problem would get worse and recently the bike would not restart even after a very minor idle stall. When I rode on friday the bike even cut off on me 5 or 6 times during a casual trailride like it ran out of gas. Each time I would have to wait a few minutes before a successful restart. Furthermore the exhaust now smells extremely rich! The only culprit I can think of is that the fuel pump has crapped out on me again but 2 faulty fuel pumps in 6 months? Could there be another issue?

If it does turn out to be the fuel pump, does anybody know of an aftermarket pump for a 2011? The one referenced above seems to be for a 2010 and earlier.
  14. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    have you checked the temp sensor?
  15. ADHD Husqvarna
    B Class

Yeah I don't think its the temp sensor because there is no change when I disconnect it. If the temp sensor was the problem then the bike should start with it disconnected, right?
  16. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Me too. mine did the same thing. My brand new pump died when it got hot.
  17. Aaron8 Husqvarna
    AA Class

No resolution here? During a trail ride yesterday my 2011 TE310:

Didn't die mid-ride, but I turned off key to rest. Upon restart attempt-

-No fuel pump sound when key turned.
    -starter spun the crank like a champ, just did not fire.
    -All fuses visual check good
    -Have a one-way tank vent, but no pressure hiss when unscrewing cap. Also tried restart with cap off.
    -Neglected to see if fan was working or not
    -Happened 2x after hard running in 85deg. temps, but not any harder than usual

I pre-emptively replaced the temp sensor a few months ago, but I forgot to disconnect to attempt restart when symptoms arose yesterday.

Anyhow, wait 10 min., turn key >usual pump noise >starts right up. I have a hard time believing it's a filter issue, as it seem temp-related?
  18. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Back in August "Bobby" was going to try to find a pump and filter for the newer x-lites. Any luck?
    Also Bobby stated that low fuel pressure (below 35-38 psi) can cause a low end bog. True?
  19. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Anytime you don't hear the fuel pump whir at initialization (key on or kill button rest to "run"), and then you wait for some cool down to occur, or you splash in some cool gasoline, then the pump is most likely hung up on a thin layer of varnish inside the pump that locks down the pump when heat expands everything. I have tried cleaning a pump that has gunk inside of it and it only helps for a very short time.

Can anyone post a picture of the fuel pump assembly? I am pretty sure the pump, the strainer and the filter can all be sourced independently.
  20. Aaron8 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for your response OHR !
    I'll take and post pics as soon as I get the time to do some work on her.