1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2011 TE 250 or 310 ?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by montanaman, Sep 23, 2011.

1. montanaman Husqvarna
    A Class

Honing down my search. I have settled on the TE over the KTM 350 EXC-F as those bikes are getting full sticker and thats over 9k before the tax man comes around. That said I am now torn between the 250 and 310. Is there that much Hp and torque difference to justify a 1000k premium? I can get a new 250 for about $ 5500 plus tax. The 310 is more in the $6800 range. I will am getting it to primarily noodle around off road in So Cal and Arizona. Not a lot of tight tree riding. No racing..might one day want to do Barstow to Vegas. I am not new to motorcycles and have a BMW 800GS that I take off road but I want something light and powerful enough to have some fun in the soft stuff and can take a beating. Thoughts?
  2. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    The 310 is punchier, however I didnt think the price difference was worth it, but you are talking a better 310 price than I have seen elsewhere. I went with the 250 and find it powerful enough for my purposes .. and I weigh 250+
  3. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Add a JD box to a 250 and a Leo Vince full system and you have as much power as a stock 310 for less money.
  4. montanaman Husqvarna
    A Class

Great ! Thank you. I just put the deposit down on the 2011 250 ! Getting it tomorrow. Dealer is offering to put the "power up" kit on it which I guess means putting the 40 sprocket and bigger chain on along with "un-corking it". Got to pay about 2 hours labor on it. Should I do the power up immediately and remove the throttle stop and all that? Thanks
  5. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes. It also includes removing the cat (slips between header and silencer) and O2 sensor, removing the maze from the airbox ... and I think the jumper on the O2 connector ...mine was already done. You should get two sets of sprockets and chain for low and high gearing setup.

As Scotty suggested your first upgrade should be the JD PowerSurge box so you can tune the FI. It is a $200 bargain. JD Jetting I have one for my TXC511 and will add one for the TE250 shortly.
  6. montanaman Husqvarna
    A Class

thanks ... should I have them put the other sprocket and chain on from the get go?
  7. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Depends on where you are riding.
  8. ktmhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

For the tight woods, I like 12 50. For the fast stuff, 13 50 is good IMHO
  9. montanaman Husqvarna
    A Class

at first mostly fire roads, open desert, some hills and bumps at OHV areas in California and AZ.
  10. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    I would start with the low gearing sprockets ( I dont remember the combination, but the bike came with 2 sets) as they are good for normal use up to 50-60 mph. If doing any sustained street speeds then use the tall set ....
  11. montanaman Husqvarna
    A Class

Can I out the JD PowerSurge on myself. I am about a 6 on a 1-10 scale mechanically speaking
  12. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    The 511 kit is about a 2 on that scale so I dont image the 250 is very tricky. Instructions in package are pretty thorough. I ordered mine through Kelly at Motosportz (motosportz here if you want to contact him), he seems to work pretty closely with JD...they are both in Washington state.
  13. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None right now :(
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Sweeeeet! I recently got a 11 TE 250 and LOVE IT! It has exceeded my expectations on every level!
  14. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    The hardest part with mounting the JD tuner is getting the connectors between the injector and the ECU to lock. One of them was a real bear to engage completely. I used wd40 and some slip joint pliers to ease the connector completely into place. I think some of the connector's internal rubber weatherproofing material is just a tad too long and has to be compressed with a bit of gentle force.
  15. husky bom Husqvarna
    A Class

s
    So Scotty what your saying is that you can get a JD box and a full leo exhaust for under $1,000.00 and gain a extra 5/6hp and you have a 250 that is the same as a 310.....sorry mate but your wrong...

a full leo system aprox=$1,000.00 and again of 2hp max
    a jd box aprox =$ 250.00 and a gain 2hp max with out a dyno tune
    dyno tune = $ 350.00 and you would pick up aprox 2 more hp
    so for all $1,600.00 you will pick up 6hp
    so all this out weighs the $$$$$$ to justify a 250 over a 310 you dont have to be Albert Einstein to work it out

have owned and ridden both 250 and 310 and have dynoed both bikes back to back

i like my 250 but the 310 is a better all round bike

if you get a 250 put a power commander or jd efi box and you have a better 250 not a 310

Montanaman.. i think a 310 would be a better bike for you as your say your doing a bit more open dirt riding it your choise ride both bikes if you can before you by
    robertk61 likes this.
  16. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am selling a full Leo Vince stainless system and the JD box for $650 to my customers as a combo. Using the current rebates IN CANADA, the 250 with these goodies is still $500 less than a 310.
  17. montanaman Husqvarna
    A Class

Is the Leo Vince system your referring to the same as the stock version that is coming on the 2012's ? Will you send to the US?

Man I am torn. I wanted to pull the trigger on the 250 today ( they have one left). There are very few 2011 310's around ( probably because they were more popular?) The difference on paper seems so minimal between the 2 that the new 250 at 6.5k, powered up , plated up, tax, DMV etc etc seems like a good deal. I have also heard that the 2012's will not come with the "power up kit". It will be extra. Any one know what that is worth?
  18. husky bom Husqvarna
    A Class

Yes a stainles full system is a lot less $$$$ ....but there is very little hp out put to the stock exhaust and only aprox .37kg lighter than stock true?? even with the goodies and at $500 less than a 310...the 250 is only going to be a little bit better and not even close to a 310 except for the $500

So at $500 differance between the two bikes the 310 is still ahead

just go and buy the 250 dont spend lots of $$$$ trying to make it a 310 it will end up costing you more than a 310 is
    or just get the 310 i know it is a little more$$$$ but you won't have to spend anything

NOTE... both 250/310 are verry good bikes you will like either
  19. montanaman Husqvarna
    A Class

Got the 250 today.Thanks everyone here. The deal was just too good to pass up. The dealer had pretty much "un-corked the bike except for the charcoal canister which seems pretty easy do it myself. It felt a little sluggish on the test ride but when it warmed up it got better. I am told that these motors need to break in before they can hit peak HP. Any thoughts on that and how the break in should be treated?

I had the dealer put on the 50 rear sprocket.. wow.. what a difference. I have only done 10 miles on the tarmac but it is winding in 4th at 30 mph. If I was going to ride much on the road the 40 would go right back on ! I know all this is going to take some getting used to as my primary ride is a 800GS. The only issue I am going to have to remedy is the height. I am on my toe nails and even though I will learn how to one foot it I need at least an inch off. So the choice becomes .. shave the stock seat an inch or so, Get the OEM low seat ( loses 35mm or an inch and change) or see about lowering the suspension. On that note I was told by the dealer that the suspension will sag more in time so ride it for awhile before messing with it. Also.. is this a bike that should be "set up" suspension wise? I am 170 pounds geared up?

More to follow. Needless to say I am pumped !! IMG-20110924-00008.jpg
    WHITEROCKET5.9 likes this.
  20. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    +1
    But since you already got the 250 it's a moot point.

Should satisfy for awhile depending on how much open riding you do and how aggressive you get. I'm still happy with my 250XCFW but will most likely put a 300 kit on it the next time the top end needs rebuilt. The extra punch just adds to the fun factor.
    One of my riding buddies that's new to dirt just got the 310. He's been a street rider. He bought a WR250F and rode it once, decided he needed a plate. For the X-lite the bigger one is without question the first pick.