1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2010 TC250 -- 500 hour ring+piston replacement

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by ray_ray, Dec 25, 2017.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    This bike has a CARB and is the ~last TC\MX racer before FI was applied...

Little history on the other bike I own of the same model... Not sure on the 200HR difference in the ring replacement between the 2 bikes OR why one needed a new big end bearing at ~400 HRS and this bike is past 100hrs on that mark? We'll see if I can get another couple hrs out of the rod

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/300hr-ring-replacement-2010-tc250-husqvarna.78941/

--
    This second bike has a rekluse but has not been ridden any less harder than the WA bike talked about in the thread above, but engine wise, it certainly has been a better bike... The WA bike has turned better, probably due to its' stock suspension... This latter bike had its' suspension setup for a heavier than me I think... Both ride well for this country boy from the Great State of AR...

_
    No pics, but a friend was riding the bike and it lost all compression and quit running... This bike never used a drop of oil or seemed ~weak on power... Started and sounded well; I knew it had hrs on it but I'm not a fancy guy and use engine sounds and feel for my bikes...

Removing the jug revealed the piston was scared as if something went in VIA the CARB...

I also noticed one of the mains had a slight, slight bit of slack, so I replaced both mains... And left the connecting rod intact... Ever listen to the real "PROs"? Mitch Peyton said recently they tear a bike down and what ever is out of spec, it is replaced... If in spec, it is used again... Does the wallet wonders for future events...Like stopping working at a reasonable age...

Went with a Vertex piston and ring set to save about ~$100.00... Hate getting off OEM but WTF? Is this gold or what? I realize I'm the only Husqvarna rider here who has purchased parts successfully for over a decade, and I did notice a slight up-tick in parts costs but it did seem like the ktm

The thread above also has a break-in procedure, that I followed again and so far, this Vertex setup is performing great and no oil usage yet... I'm sold and down with this engine-braking procedure for setting the rings ... Hate to talk well on Huskies here but this bike is bada$$ all over again...

Yea Italian Husqvarna... ~period...
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  3. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

500 hours from a piston is pretty good economy.
  4. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Edited the BS out for you ;)
  5. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My 2010 TE250 has about 200 hrs on it.

Runs perfect but makes a little more noise than my 100hr TXC310.

I think the valves are looser.

Starts 1st kick. Never flames out.
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    That 500hr mark, as calculated by these hr meters, is ambiguous at best, I'd guess. First, not sure but I'd guess these hr meters record engine 'firing time' and has nothing to do with engine RPMs... Meaning an hour idling is recorded as the same ~hour as an engine at 10K RPM. Tractors have hr meters also. But the meters I was around growing up took into account the engine RPM. Low engine RPMs time was recorded on the meter slower than full throttle engine running.

Next, is my riding style. Have not hit the REV limiter in ~yrs maybe. 8-10K RPMs and I'm shifting. Also, do alot of hardtop riding now due to the tons of cement poured out in the mountains in the last ~4 yrs or so. Unless I'm in a SM mode, I'm not gonna burn my dirt bike engine up on hardtop. Also, roll down alot of mountains roads towards the bottom, with the engine idling or dead to save gasoline. Lastly, in an effort to same my knobbies, I'm pretty sure speed (and hard braking) on any hardtop (hiways here) accelerates tire wear. Another reason for me to keep the RPMs down in the ~5k range. And I still out-pace most bikes and traffic here.

All this I feel adds up into longevity in my machines and a hr meter that is rolling. The other bike in the 300hr ring replacement thread, now needs rings again and I went past the hr mark I was intending to use, and it now has close to 700hrs on it, including the piston, if not a few more. Both bikes were purchased as used models so the actual time the previous owners had is a guess. Planning on new rings on that bike any day now. Just gotta do it.

This all applies to my oil changes also....~10 hrs just is too short for me on most days but around the 18-20 hr mark, I do start seeing more dark stuff in my SS filters so I do not ever intent to go past 20 hrs between oil changes.

--
    My bikes start AOK after one needed the cam that has the spring on the auto-decompresser replaced when I first purchased it. Both still need a TDC kick for some reason I can't solve. If not a TDC kick, it is a wasted kick a very high percentage of the time.

--
    R_Little, 100hrs on a husky is just broken in from my dealings with them... My 012 TC250 has about ~60 hrs maybe and is very very hard to crank over with the kicker.
    Big Timmy likes this.
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Claiming success here on all fronts, including my break-in procedure... ~15 hrs on the bike and no oil consumption, no leaks, starts like a ~hondo, and as expected, bada$$ 010 250cc Husqvarna dirt bike performance ...
    guscycle and Big Timmy like this.