1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2009 TXC 450 Shifting woes

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Cookies, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Cookies Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Had: 78 390 Auto, 83 cr250 84 cr250
    haven't had any issues in the past, but this last weekend went for a trail ride and was having a hard time shifting from 1st to 2nd and vice versa. Tried shifting with and without clutch, didn't seem to make a difference. The slower I tried to shift, the harder it was. If I was racing thru the gears, seemed a lot better, if I was casually shifting I would hit neutral between the shift.

My pan is to change the oil and check for debris, any other things I should look for?
  2. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You can take the clutch out and check the shifter mechanism the lives behind it. Sometimes the little dogs get a burr that can be polished off or the nut holding it can also loosen up, use loctite if this is the case.
  3. JPinNC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KTM 300 XC-W
    Just to be sure, check the hydraulic fluid, my shifting was acting up and it turned out to be the well documented slave cylinder leak, I refilled and bled the system and all is fine for now. I believe there are also threads in Cafe Husky about the shifting mechanisms getting loose and causing similar problems with the Huskys in your model year.
  4. Cookies Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not a good sign, went to change the oil and this metal was on the drain plug. I checked the filters and they look clean. I also pulled the clutch front cover) and the clutch/shifting rod looks bent (the rod that pushes the clutch out).

next step, I have never attempted any bottom end work ever (other than clutch plates), I am a little intimidated, so who in Southern California would have do the work, I am out near the riverside area?

Attached Files:

5. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    FYI thought, further in trouble shooting after working from the outside stuff in....these 450/510 engines use a billet alloy shifter drum. the top tier SM race teams would actually change them out after one race weekend......for us different story of course. Mine went close to 300 hours and still shifted fine but it was worn and replaced at rebuild. The shift forks were perfect with never an issue. do all the easy stuff first of course work your way in.
  6. Cookies Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC450
    Other Motorcycles:
    my next question, where would a I find transmission parts for this one I dig into it? I still prefer to take it to someone if possible.
  7. rappster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tc449 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    rmz250
    I went through moto exotica great help for tranny parts
    Another thing to look at first the 5mm hex bolt in the shifter/clutch side can loosen up and cause problems
    Check that before
  8. Cookies Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Starter washer.jpg well digging into this I found two issues, the springs in the shifter selector are warn, so I am going to replace these, but the metal that was in engines is from the Starting gear, there is a washer that has four ends that bend over to keep in place, three were broken off. Take a look at the pics.

Not sure what would cause this, but glad it isn't in the gears.
  9. Shovelhead85 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400R, '75 DT400B, FLH Shovel, CT90
    Looks like it was spinning and wasn't supposed to.
  10. Cookies Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC450
    Other Motorcycles:
    it certainly was spinning independently to everything else.
  11. Shovelhead85 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400R, '75 DT400B, FLH Shovel, CT90
    Well, there you go. This diagnostic stuff ain't shit. :D