1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2009 TXC 250 - Steering Stem Bearings Clean & Grease

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by M-Coupe99, Apr 22, 2018.

1. M-Coupe99 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 FE 501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW S1000RR
    I've had my Husky TXC 250 since October 2017 and lately I had been noticing some brownish color grease leaking from the bottom of the steering stem so I decided today to take a look at what's going on in there.

Found out both the lower and upper bearings were very dirty, with a brown water grease / dirt residue on the bearings and inside the steering stem. Cleaned both bearings, the steering stem, and the frame interior with a degreasing agent. Greased the bearings with a white lithium grease. Taking the bike apart wasn't much of a chore since I had already done this to my former Husky TE630 and the procedures where the same.

Attached Files:

NCSteve and xliteredhead like this.
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    I might've used lye-based grease (sodium, bearing grease; lithium and sodium greases are not compatible usually) instead... but really, in this low-rotational application, anything would work. Even creamy peanut butter. It's more a barrier for keeping stuff out than for lubrication.

I would've probably changed the bearings too- depending on how the races look. OTOH, grease it every year or two and you'll be okay.

put the bike a stand and turn the bars lock-to-lock a couple of 3 times, once/twice a year. Anything besides ultra-smooth gliding means take a look (cables and wiring interference can be ignored) and repair. It's weird how a little resistance in the steering stem greatly changes the handling of the bike.
  3. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    One trick is not to tighten the stem head nut too hard. Tighten up snug and firm then back off a quarter turn.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  4. M-Coupe99 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 FE 501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW S1000RR
    The races and bearings looked good, steering was really smooth before I did the cleaning and greasing so I didn't change them at this time. On my former TE630 I replaced them as there was notch when you would turn the bars through dead center, and I could see wear on the races and bearings.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  5. M-Coupe99 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 FE 501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW S1000RR
    I noticed this while putting the bike back together while trying to torque the nut to spec, backed the nut off a bit and the steering was nice and smooth.