1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2009 Te250/310 Fuel Pump Oem Vs. Zip Ty

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by smur3, Oct 14, 2017.

1. smur3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hello Folks! I sure hope the knowledgeable people in this community are willing and able to please help a riding brother out :) Here's the details...

Been away from riding over a year due to medical/spine situation, which is now resolved (WOO HOO), and I'm dying to get back in the dirt on my TE250-turned 310. Problem is, bike won't start.

The engine turns over strong with the sweet long-lasting lithium ion battery BUT does not start. Took to Husky dealer realizing this is gonna cost but had no idea what I was in for. Figured bad gas was the culprit due to length of time sitting in the garage (I did add sta-bil but maybe its effect wore out over too much time). I also started it up and rode around the neighborhood every few months and it always started strong...until I was finally able to take it out again...and then it would crank but not start.

Mechanic diagnosed it as a bad fuel pump, OEM cost over $700 plus labor. Wow!! Mechanic was awesome and found me an aftermarket fuel pump at Zip Ty Racing for more like $150. I ordered that and had it sent to the shop thinking I had just saved some money. After it arrived, I received a phone call saying it will not work, after all, because it does not include a pressure regulator. Crud! Back to the $700 part, plus now have already spent the $130 on un-useable aftermarket version.

Question I'm hoping you can help with...is there any way around this $700+ OEM fuel pump? I still love my low-mile Husky but I suspect its age is a contributing factor to the crazy costs. Even without the fuel filter part price, the estimate was over $600 just to get it "race ready" again. The aftermarket $130 Zip Ty part Part # is 8000H2930, SKU: FP-HUS-F.

Thank you for reading and RIDE ON.
  2. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Get the Zip Ty pump.

Make sure you get SUBMERSIBLE fuel line. Doubt you can reuse the stock line. You should get a new fuel filter too. Search the FI forum. You need a high pressure filter. Some use the KTM filter.

BTW, The $700 price is most likely the whole pump assembly mount filter and all.
  3. Elkyjason Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha 1100
    Hopefully you didn’t spend the $700. Ca cycle works sells fuel pumps, and fuel pressure regulators. I am actually dealing with this exact same issue you have. My 2009 te310 has been sitting for about 3-4 years. I purchased a new fuel pump from ca cycle and still no fire. I will be receiving the regulator tomorrow in the mail. So hopefully that will be my solution. I guess they have 2 types of regulators. One with a tube and on without. My bike has one with the tube. Hopefully this will be your solution! It surprises me that after calling 2 of my local dealers in so cal, not one new any of these aftermarket parts existed, it’s frustrating.
    http://ca-cycleworks.com/fpr35x
  4. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    I do not believe your fuel pressure regulator ('09 310) has the tube (which is a hose fitting for a return line).

but the good news is: it should work just fine. I *think* you can use that style of regulator in either situation. And if for some reason you cannot fit the regulator in, you can probably remove the hose fitting (I'm thinking it's just a press-fit).

I've revived a non-working pump using carb cleaner and a naphtha in a similar situation.

good luck.

regulator ca cycleworks.jpg
    Scootskipper likes this.