2009 TE 250 Problem

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by lil_mouse, Jun 27, 2016.

1. lil_mouse Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 250
    8000B0369.jpg
    So, I couldn't find anything on the problem here, if there is and I didn't see it I apologize.

I am new to the site, my name is Christian and I am also new to riding in general. So, please excuse my newbieness.

I financed a 2009 TE 250 less than a month ago and started making this strange metalic clanking noise a few days ago. It also started to say FAIL, when I started it up. So, I ran some sea foam through it and that helped with it saying FAIL.

However, it did not help with the "clanking" noise. While I was riding down the road yesterday it made a strange sputter noise and than cut off on me( it had gas and oil). I pulled off into a big 5 parking lot and noticed the engine was covered in oil/ coolant. When I turned the engine over, part #22 from the pic above would move up/down and spit out oil and coolant? I have no clue whats wrong and was curious if anyone on here might now? Honestly anything would help.

Not sure if it makes a difference but when I disconnected the hose from the engine a lot of coolant came flooding out.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Attached Files:

2. hhdwtmtw He who dies with the most toys wins...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE300, '11 TE449, '10 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
    Part 22 is the cylinder head cover. It shouldn't move up and down. Remove the cover and see what has happened underneath. It's possible you have a blown head gasket or something has broken and cracked the head causing coolant to leak. I would also check the engine oil to see if it is contaminated with coolant. Clanking noises are not a good sign. I would take the bike to a knowledgeable mechanic to check it out before trying to start the engine again.
  3. lil_mouse Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 250
    So, I opened the engine up and found that the metal piece the cylinder head cover screws into broke off. On top of that there is other pieces that I don't recognize that were in the engine. To top it off the engine is filled with tiny metal shavings. The pictures are of what broke off inside the engine. Any ideas on what these pieces are and if it is possible to replace them?
    IMG_20160628_105518895.jpg IMG_20160628_105444617.jpg
  4. hhdwtmtw He who dies with the most toys wins...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oh dear. That is half a bearing and a broken camshaft bearing retainer. This is not simply a case of replacing parts. You have lost a camshaft bearing and have metal fragments in your engine.

This will require an engine strip down and rebuild.

Sorry to see this happen to you. Do you have any warranty from the seller?
  5. lil_mouse Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 250
    No warranty what so ever. I got it used from a non husqy dealer. They are 2 hours from where I live as well. The only good thing so far is they agreed to pick it up for free.

How do they even brake anyways? Also, is it possible for those pieces to brake within a month?

Thank you for the response I greatly appreciate it!
  6. hhdwtmtw He who dies with the most toys wins...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm only guessing but it sounds like the camshaft bearing failed as it is in 2 pieces. This could have been caused by a number of things;
    - Camshaft bearing failing due to wear or lack of oil. Once it disintegrated it took out the bracket.
    - A valve could have dropped, hit the piston and smashed the camshaft holder as a result.
    - The timing chain might have stretched or failed causing the valves to hit the piston, etc.
    - If the engine is over-revved the valves can't keep up and can hit the piston, etc (I.e. Flat out in 6th, clutch it, change to 2nd and dump the clutch)

You will only be able to tell what caused it once the engine is pulled apart and you see what else is worn, missing or broken.
  7. lil_mouse Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 250
    So, I had the mechanic who looked at the engine send me pictures of the damage. Though, I haven't the slightest clue whats the first pic is about/of? How does a broken camshaft bearing do that?

It seems like a lot of damage though?

IMG_4419.JPG
    IMG_4421.JPG
    IMG_4422.JPG
    IMG_4424.JPG
  8. lil_mouse Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 250
    Here's the last 2 I was sent

IMG_4425.JPG
    IMG_4423.JPG
  9. hhdwtmtw He who dies with the most toys wins...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    How's the rebuild coming along?
  10. lil_mouse Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 250
    Its alright I guess. They just gave me an estimate the other day. Their estimating its going to cost $1,850 for parts and labor. When I asked them why it was so high they said, "Oh, its because we had to look for the parts from all over the world". My biggest problem was that they were pretty much dodging me for a couple day. They kept telling me they were working on getting the bottom half of the engine open to diagnose. Than after a few days of that, they finally told me that they had not even started to work on it yet and would get back to me. Right now I am waiting to get a hold of their general manager. I love the bike to be honest, but I did not even get to ride it for 30 days before it broke down on me and it cost me $4200 to finance it. It has just been very irritating, so before they continue with the rebuild I need to talk to the general manager. I will update when I do though!