1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2007 TE-450 to 2009 TXC-450, should I do it???

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by mxracernumber1, Aug 4, 2008.

1. mxracernumber1 Husqvarna
    A Class

O.K. guys, my wife is probably going to shoot off into orbit like a rocket when I drop this on her as I just bought my TE-450 last year (Sept. 23). It isn't even a year old.

I love that bike & would have lived happily ever after had I not seen a pic & some spec.'s for the 2008 TXC's. Then, I saw some pics of the '09's & was totally blown away. I won't be able to sleep quite rite at nite until I have one of those things, so I'm needing a little help with actual experience just to make sure I'm getting what I think I'm going to get 9besides a big fat knot on the head).

I stopped riding the TE on the road a couple of months ago & bought a WR-250R for my work commuter. I had a KLX-250 I was riding to work & sold it thinking I'd just use the TE. Well, up to that point I had been switching up between the two, so I put up with the shortcomings of the TE as a d.s. bike. My ride to work is 32 miles one-way & after a few days on the TE I was wishing I had my KLX back. The TE eats tires, even more street-oriented tires & is always ready to punch a hole in the wind. So, I went out & bought the WR250R for work duty & now just ride the TE on the weekends when I want to beat up on my buddies. The TE is o.k. for short, occaisional stints, but as you all know, it is a race bike first, d.s. seco...well it's just a race bike with turn signals.

After seeing the TXC's I realized that they might be a better fit for what I'm doing anyway. I mean, I'm riding it off-road only, the TXC has the better, lighter chasis, wide-ratio gear box, etc. I don't ride it at night much anymore since I stopped riding it to work, so I don't need lighting (as if I could see in the dark with the TE headlight anyway). I'm thinking this TXC bike is just as if not more, power-packed, lighter, more nimble & has the same gearbox I have come to love on my TE.

Am I looking in the right direction here? I want my TE in a lighter, better handling package. I love the TE, but I think the TXC would be a littler more racey the way I like it kind of deal.

So, what do you guys who have ridden both think I will think about a new 2009 TXC-450 or 510 as compared to my TE? What am I going to miss about the TE? Anything? Is there really that much difference to take the $$$ hit. Remember I just bought the TE Sept. 23 of 2007. By the way, it is mint with 35 hrs. What should I ask for it? Cost on a new T.E. is nearly $7,800 o.t.d. around here.

Damnit! My wife is going to kill me. Why did they have to do this to me???
  2. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    I rode the s out of my 06 TE450 ,,,,in the roughest terrain and in comp.....the 08TXC 450 is a far superior moto and really raised the level of my game. The TE IMHO still has dual sport stamped on it the TXC is real full competition offroad bike. If you want the best street legal dirt bike get or stay with the TE,,,,,,if you want a narrow focused hard core off road bike go TXC
  3. mxracernumber1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Is it dependable like my TE?
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yes. robertaccio is right, the 08 and up new frame etc is a good step up. I love the old platform as well but IMHO this one is a lot better. better handling, feels lighter, better ergos, etc. I find the TXC450 is simply the best bike available right now for a do it all off road bike. Lighting coils and super bright headlights are available if you need it. Fantastic bike.

K
  5. Wetdog Husqvarna
    AA Class

These guys speak the truth.

I did the switch from a '07 TE 450 to a TXC 450 and can't say enough about the increased performance of the TXC. You won't be disappointed if you switch.
  6. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Shoot i forgot about the unused lighting coil,,,,,, a night ride is calling,, to escape this heat
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I was actually talking about a 120 watt upgrade but you can run minimal lights off the stock stator.
  8. mxracernumber1 Husqvarna
    A Class

where would a guy get a 120 watt upgrade for a new TXC? And whatkind of anti-aircraft spotlight would you run on it?
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    We (Motosportz) will be offer it shortly. I took my bike by Trailtech and we test fit some stators. One of the KTM ones fits perfect. it is nearly a drop in but there is a few things to do. I'm putting together instructions to make it EZ. They also have a new light, the X2 which is AWESOME, HID and a 2" spot with a 4" flood. The owner of Trailtech told be it put the 8" bad boys to shame. The X2 is a little back ordered but will be in shortly. if you need something ASAP Email me and I'll get you something.
  10. mxracernumber1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Would I be able to run this setup on my current '07 TE-450 without the high-output stator? I'm guessing it would be brighter than my current set-up with the candle in the jar. I must say though that it was through Coffee's experiment on TT that I found a much better bulb that drastically improved the situation. If I did put this on the TE, would it be as effective without the apgraded stator? Maybe a lighting sticky is in order here?
  11. Chris M Husqvarna
    B Class

As much as I like the TXC's I don't think I would give up my license plate being here in So-Cal. We do a lot of long distance rides, so being able to pull into a little town for fuel is mandatory. It's also nice to ride into town for lunch, and a few coldies :) Also keep in mind the '08's still do not have an oversize tank or stabilizer available yet, as far as I know ? (which isnt much) Also I'm pretty sure the TE & TXC share the same tranny, so no advantage there.

Have you thought about just dumping some of the extra weight (Ie: horn, replacing stock blinkers, tail light assy, pipe, etc) and having your suspension redone on your '06 TE, instead of spending the extra cashola on a TXC ?
  12. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    when i had the plate i never thought much of it,,it was just there....now without, i am seeing the DS guys go on some really cool rides ,, no plate no-go. So the plate is a great point, especially on real dirt bike like the TE. Choices choices,,,
    stabilizer from Motosportz and GPR,, no-big tank (big issue) I was dry in 35 down in Tecate, tranny yes the same as TE. the 06 bike is fantastic when set up without all the street stuff and suspended for all offroad. enjoy your choices and enjoy the ride, R
  13. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    LOL..... I did not start this site to do a bunch of (possibly convoluted) stickies...

LOL

You'll see soon enough. Let me just say we now have a huge sand box to play in...
  14. mxracernumber1 Husqvarna
    A Class

I did not think your lighting tips thread was "convoluted"

Just a suggestion...:confused:
  15. mxracernumber1 Husqvarna
    A Class

As for the plates...I thought about that, but I have a WR-250R. Won't be as fun on the dirt if I have to take it because there's some pavement involved, but I could get by. That damned TXC just sounds awesome...

Maybe we need a sticky for awesome stuff...
  16. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Your suggestion for a sticky was an excellent suggestion.

The good stuff will find a home. But instead of relying on stickies we can make as many sections as we want as long as they make sense. I've been working on adding sections all this week.

The timing was a little ironic, and I'm a little tired, in no way did I intend to offend.
  17. mxracernumber1 Husqvarna
    A Class

thanks. just thought your lighting tips from the TT site would be excellent technical info that would be good to park somewhere. I think this site is on the right track & glad you're doing it.