2006 TE610 - No Spark

Discussion in '610/630' started by TripleThreat719, Nov 6, 2016.

1. TripleThreat719 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    Searching for Ideas...

Brief history - Bike only has 4000 miles - Bought it off my brother who clearly didn't ride it much. Had it out on a dual sport ride and ended up with an undetected leak in a coolant hose which allowed the bike to overheat, which caused a head gasket leak, which pressurized the system keeping coolant in the overflow bottle, so the leak went undetected. Ended up overheating the bike enough to end up with two stuck exhaust valves - They didn't get bent, or contact the piston.

So, I had the top end rebuilt. After reassembly, the bike fired up and ran, although it didn't want to idle. Did a carb rebuild to check for any junk in the carb preventing the bike from idling. After reassembly, the bike fired and ran for a couple of minutes and then died. It will not restart.

It's not getting any spark at all...

I've replaced the plug... Nothing

I've checked the resistance of the coil and it falls within spec.

I've checked continuity between primary and secondary winding... it's there...

I've checked the 15 AMP fuse... It's good

Any ideas?
  2. scudster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 1090 Adventure R, DT250, CBR900
    Check the condition of the plug cap and HT lead. Could be earthing someplace. Is the coil securely fitted and grounded? Check the pickup coil also.
  3. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    I would inspect the pick up coil as mentioned above. Mine was faulty when hot.
  4. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

Have you made any progress with your no spark yet?dan
  5. Raaron12 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 sm610
    Not sure if the pickup coil and CDI are the same thing but everytime I had a no spark condition on a carbed bike it was due to the CDI being dead.
  6. scudster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    Pickup coil is seperate and is located in the left engine casing housing.
  7. TripleThreat719 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    Pulled the left side case this morning and it became painfully obvious why I wasn't getting any spark...

Something's missing here...
    [IMG]

These do not look like they should...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Fortunately, Hall's had everything in stock and I should have the parts to complete the repair soon...

In all likelihood, when the coolant leak resulted in the overheating and the exhaust valves sticking, the heat probably caused the epoxy that holds the magnets to the flywheel to lose adhesion and the magnets came loose.
  8. scudster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    That'll do it alright. Not the cheapest of problems to resolve but repairable none the less.
  9. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Made in China parts. Shouldn't have come apart like that even under those circumstances. Glad you got it sorted and hopefully the debris didn't make it through the engine!
  10. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    I wonder if it could be swapped with the updated stator and flywheel from the 2008+ 610/630?
  11. TripleThreat719 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    According to Hall's... no updated stator available, although there is an aftermarket flywheel/rotor available if I wanted to upgrade. I'll take my chances with OEM replacements. Should be fine...

Pretty sure that the debris stayed contained inside the flywheel/rotor assembly, but I'll be able to tell more once the flywheel puller arrives with the parts and I pull it off. Obviously an oil change and filter replacement and screen filter cleaning will be in order and then another one fairly quickly just to be certain.

The top end was just gone through when the stuck exhaust valve issue was addressed. New rings installed, and the cylinder walls and piston were flawless. It only ran for a couple of minutes since that refresh, so it should be in good shape...

Parts arrive Friday, so I'll probably get it all installed on Saturday or Sunday. Hopefully we'll have some decent weather to be able to get out for a short blast after I get it back together. Not ready to admit that it's starting to look a lot like winter... Maybe if Santa brings me that Warm & Safe heated gear I've been hoping for, I'll get to extend the season a while longer...
  12. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    The 2008 (or 2007) 610 and the 630 did get an updated flywheel and stator didn't it?
    The magnets look different at least. And the stator cover is also different. The question is, are they interchangeable?
    [IMG][IMG][IMG]
    630/610 updated ------ 2005-2006 610
  13. TripleThreat719 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    Should have clarified, Hall's said no upgraded stator available for the 2006.

Not sure that the FI flywheel will fit a carbed bike...
  14. TripleThreat719 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    Stator assembly arrived on Friday and I got it installed when I got home from visiting family for Thanksgiving on Saturday night. Solved my issue. Bike fired right up... Now I just need to do a carb adjustment after the rebuild and all will be right with the world...
    mekanik likes this.
  15. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Glad you've fixed the bike!

I remember that, 9 years ago, when they released the EFI version of the 610, I read, on a magazine, that the alternator was more powerful because of the EFI. Therefore, I'm not surprised that the flywheel's different.
    My EFI 610 doesn't have that caramel coloured sort of plastic. It's not the first time that it shatters in a carbed 610 and, according to someone who wrote that on forums, it's a dielectric material.