2006 SM610 to 21" front wheel conversion, SM brakes and fork

Discussion in '610/630' started by hollywoodcrash, Apr 26, 2020.

1. hollywoodcrash Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 Husqvarna SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 KTM EXC300, 1972 Honda SL100
    I have a 21" Excel hub, with the 320mm SM rotor, and the big Brembo calipers on the front of my 2006 SM610 with SM forks. So the set-up is trying to be like the TE. The inside of the caliper is not bronze coloured, it is black. It has been ground down (fairly well done, why is it black?) to give clearance to the left-side spokes. A piece of blue shop towel doesn't slide through the gap between spokes and caliper, that's the clearance there is. 1.5mm is my estimate. Is this how the 21" front conversion is supposed to be? Others here in the forum have this? I'm not liking the super tight clearance at all. The spokes are not shiny like they've been hitting the caliper. While I ask this, is the 21" going to bottom out, with the tire hitting the fender, on hard hits with the difference in fork travel the SM has less than the TE?
  2. hollywoodcrash Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 Husqvarna SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    I shall bump this as it's still intriguing to me.
  3. Ungarisch Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SM510R, 2007 SM610, 2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 Z1000
    when I switch between enduro and SM, I switch the entire front end. It's not just the wheels that are different, the forks are completely different, even the axles are different. Rotor, master cylinder and speedo cable (longer) is also different.

IMG_1749.JPG
    IMG_1742.JPG
    hollywoodcrash likes this.
  4. hollywoodcrash Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 Husqvarna SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Ungarisch I totally get why you do a full change out. I hope to hear from others that are running my SM setup with the 21" front and the brake clearance, but pretty slow around here.
  5. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    On my 07' 510smr I purchased a 21" front wheel and ran an adventure tire for the rear to ride dual sports. I don't remember having to grind down the caliper but have read about others doing so. I do remember it was a very close fit but had not problems. still used the sm brake rotor. be very careful in the dirt with the front brake. one finger braking, literally. no problems with rubbing or anything else and I did some pretty gnarly, rutty trails
  6. hollywoodcrash Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 Husqvarna SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Darkside-you are correct about using one finger in the dirt, I'm working on making that the habit. My '06 SM610 has the 320mm front rotor is why they had to grind down the caliper. I did 50kms off road last week, just FSR, and I didn't notice the spokes connecting with the caliper. Hope it stays that way.
  7. Michel Chaka Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Xr 250 Tornado
    I have the 21' setup on my 2007 610 ie, there is a little gap and no need to grind the caliper. So far so good :D