2006 Sm610 petcock options

Discussion in '610/630' started by hollywoodcrash, Apr 24, 2020.

1. hollywoodcrash Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 Husqvarna SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 KTM EXC300, 1972 Honda SL100
    RE: two petcocks on 2006 SM610 carbureted are leaking
    The OEM parts aren't available new. Ebay has used parts that are really expensive, before conversion to CAD and shipping, I'm not really interested.
    This is the RH petcock with the wire for the fuel light on the wonky digital speedo unit, and the LH threaded petcock-both are leaking.
    So, are there aftermarket petcocks that work ( I can lose the low fuel light), or how have people rebuilt theirs? I might be able to get a plastic T-adapter to bring fuel from left and right sides of tank I suppose.
    Specific to the RH side, are there supposed to be two thrust washers in there to apply pressure to the handle part?
    Thanks.
  2. ceevu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te 610/630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Elefant, husaberg fe501
    I have replaced o ring now twice in rh petcock.(Just black nbr type,so it wont last forever. I believe viton would be better solution) It did get harder to use,but leak was cured. If i remember right,there was two washers in mine also. Cant help LH side,it has held so far.
    hollywoodcrash likes this.
  3. hollywoodcrash Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 Husqvarna SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks ceevu, the O-ring is tight, but there's no inward pressure from the two thrust washers. The pink coloured plastic with the four holes has worn out (from the handle being spun on it for 19000kms) so I beefed it up by cutting out a cork-style gasket and putting it behind there, removing one thrust washer, tightens everything together and seems to work-for now.
  4. john savage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te410 supermoto
    Other Motorcycles:
    Modified Suzuki GSXR 7/11
    Hi, I know it means losing the fuel gauge but I just screwed on a tap off a Drz400, works fine
    hollywoodcrash likes this.
  5. hollywoodcrash Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 Husqvarna SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thank you john savage, I noticed the wear on the underlying plastic, made it all tighter with gasket material behind that. So far so good, for the left side petcock going to try a new fuel tap I bought. So many little things when previous owners don't deal with them, always something to consider.
  6. motosportz mike CH Sponsor

I just looked on the shelf and I have a new petcock for the 610 with the fuel gauge set up.
  7. hollywoodcrash Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 Husqvarna SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    thank you motosportz mike, you could message me with its price if you no longer have use for it?
    I may have repaired the right side petcock-has two positions, on and off. Used gasket material behind the plastic, the low fuel light is still working. Purchased a universal fuel tap for the left side now, going to replace the screw fuel tap there.
  8. love Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te 610 2006 and 2018 701 sm
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 690 enduro
    these petcocks are defective design from husky i have had two go out. i want to keep the low fuel light or im gonna have to start carrying emergency fuel. the petcock is not avail any more i heard that they leak at the wires and to epoxy the wire to the petcock> might help