2006 Husky SM610 Purchase

Discussion in '610/630' started by LTP10, Dec 14, 2014.

?

Do you think this is a good deal?

Yes 6 vote(s) 100.0%
No 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. LTP10 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610
    Hello, I have browsed these forums for sometime now researching the SM610. Just recently I made my account because an 06 SM610 recently became available. It has about 1500 miles on it and from the pictures looks immaculate. The bike is listed for 3500$. This will be my first motorcycle purchase so I am looking for any and all advice from you guys. Thanks!
  2. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have one. It is a great bike.

The last of the Carb models and in my opinion the best.

Since the bike has such low miles make sure the carb jets are not clogged.

Most owners leave the float bowls full since the drain screws are hard to get to.
    Make sure it has a good battery too.
    Also, run a Iridium plug if it stutters at all.
    JD jetting needles are the hot set up.

Check the came chain tensioner when it has about 4k miles.

Other than that ride and have fun!
  3. LTP10 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610

Thanks for the reply! I don't have any mechanical experience with these engines but it seems to be in perfect running order. I just wanted to make sure Im making a good decision and don't have a premature motard craze! Could you elaborate on what the float bowls..I take it you wouldn't want them to get gunked up? But Im sure I will have an abundance of research and questions after pick it up which should next weekend! Would you say for the price and age that's a fair deal? I appreciate your input thanks again.
  4. grinder96 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    VFR800, XR80
    I have one too, It is a wonderful bike!!! I had an isolated issue that caused me to have to split the cases to fix, but I have not seen the issue anywhere else! It is the bike I choose to run around town and one day canyon rides. I have owned a lot of bikes and the SM610 is one of my all time favorites!!! I liked it so much i went out and bought a TE630 for the dirt!! Just a hoot!!!

As a first bike huh? it has lots going for it. Lower seat, nice ergos, good power band i would just think a 250 would be a better first bike but hey at least your not going for an R1!!!

The price seems great!!! Enjoy and take as many motorcycle classes as you can. I don't know where you are located, but riding a bike in LA takes all your attention and reaction time must be in the milliseconds:eek: !!! I say go for it and enjoy!!!
  5. LTP10 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610

I am located in Ohio and we have plenty of terrible drivers! I know I have a lot to learn but my choices were fairly limited with a wrx being even more expensive and my only other option really being a drz. But its about the same price and I feel like Im getting a lot more with the husky that may be good or bad lol. I will be picking it up next weekend so fingers crossed!
  6. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    13TE300Berg,07KTM525EXC,13 HusWR165
    I have a 2006 SM610, bought it new and still have it! Check the crank nut (inside the right case), the 2006's and 07's had a issue where the crank nut was not torqued to spec and the woodruff key would break and cause a violent studder/vibration. It happened to mine (and many others) but doesn't show it's head until around 3K miles or so. Easy fix but can have bad consequences if not corrected.
    LTP10 likes this.
  7. grinder96 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    VFR800, XR80

My failure was actually one of the two metal screen filters. One of the ends came off and perused through my engine. i would guess from PO oil change and it was not seated properly. Which ever the case the end went into the engine and made a terrible noise on start up!!! Nasty but i have never heard of a similar situation. I split the cases and fixed the problem. It is running beautifully :D
    LTP10 likes this.