1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2004 TE250 seizure advice needed

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Creecha, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Creecha Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 Te250
    I'm new to the Cafe and found it online looking for the best place to find info on Husky's.

I've got a TE250 thats not happy and I'd really like to make it really really happy.

Several years ago it seized up on me and as I was leaving the country I put it in a shed and almost forgot about it. One of my trips back to New Zealand I gave it to a friend who rides to see if it was a quick fix for him to ride while I was away, he got it going and as soon as it warmed up it would just seize.
    He immediately went to change the oil and out came quite a few metal filings.

I'm not a mechanic but I don't shy away from a challenge. I've got the time and space to work on it as a project so I'm going to go for it.

What I'm hoping for is any advice/speculation on what could be the problem otherwise I'm just going to start taking it apart and see what I find.

Thanks for reading this if you have made it this far, any help would be much appreciated and I can't to get back on the trails :)

Attached Files:

2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Could be numerous things but was the engine making any noises before it would seize? Connecting rods might make a knocking noise ...Not sure what the rings and barrel do as far as shedding metal ... Mains are there somewhere.

Tear into it and just start looking ...

--
    I've got an 010 TC250 with an oilfilter filled with metal ... I'm guessing mine are the mains but gotta look inside ... No seizing, just loud engine sound when running ...
  3. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

A 2004 could be having valve issues as well, that was the year of bad valves.
  4. Miezie666 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2x YZ 125, 1x YZ250 2005, XT600 2KF
    could be the conrod or piston... either way you have to split the cases...
    I had a TE 250 2004 which had the main bearings gone- did a good repair- spent some money and since its been such a great bike.
    yours looks newer than an 04 to me- its more an 06 from the way the plastics look like.
  5. Creecha Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 Te250
    So I've got into pulling it apart and I'm stuck trying to get the kick starter off. That stupid little allen key bolt that holds it on is stuck tight and I may or may not have rounded it out :(
    Everything else come off easy and I am gagging to get inside more to find out where the bits of metal were coming from.
    I'm pretty new to the whole engine thing so I'm wondering if the piston head and valve heads are supposed to be so blackened? Would it indicate a problem?
    If anyone has an idea of how to get that f@#Kin kick start bolt out I'll try anything. Maybe get the dremel out and make it into a philips head.....I dunno.

Attached Files:

6. Creecha Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 Te250
    Also where on the engine would a number be to confirm the year of the bike?
  7. Miezie666 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2x YZ 125, 1x YZ250 2005, XT600 2KF
    I had the same problem- i was using a chisel and hammer to rotate the bolt out.
  8. mikidymac Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    You can use the frame number to check the year of the bike. A 2004 TE 250 should be Z C G T E 2 5 0 * 4 V 0 1 2 3 4 5 the 4 before V is the year = 2004.
  9. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Show the walls of the cylinder and the side of the piston to check for any posible seizure on those parts. That is how you identify if you need to change them.. but you have the engine splitted and for the age of the engine it is better to change them anyway. I mean, piston, rings, connecting rod, crank, valves, etc.