1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 2004-2010 WR250 opinions

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Woodsknight, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Woodsknight Husqvarna
    AA Class

Alright guys, I will make this pretty short. I am getting a new Husky 250f fourstroke for my race bike next year. Mine as well have two of the same brand soo I am selling my other bikes and most likely picking up a 04 WR250 2smoke this week that is in great shape for 1700bucks.
    What can I expect from the 04 model? My plans as of now are to add the auto decompression head, pipe, and give the suspension to my suspension guy.
    Will the 300 kit go on this year motor and how much is it?
    Do they make a decomp head for the 300? or are there only two (250, 360).
    Will the newer style plastic adapt to the older 04 frame if I were to change tank/seat and all that?
    Also, did the 04 model come with a hydro clutch?
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    2002 and up WR250's are great bikes. VERY reliable, fast and SOLID. A bit heavy for a 250 2st but built tough. You do not need the decomp head, it is an EZ starter. I would also stick with the older plastic. Better tank design (carries more fuel and lower), slim and does not trim the trail bushes like the newer stuff. No hydro clutch and they do not need them.

i had a 99 and 02 and LOVED them.

[IMG]

Even the old style can look cool...

[IMG]

Just picked up an 94 and love it too...

[IMG]
  3. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    My local Husky gurus say the pipe on the WR's are pretty good. They need to be jetted correctly ( stock specs are right on) and you need to get rid of the spark arrestor to make it run properly. Suspension will help.
    I love mine:thumbsup:
  4. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    My buds got an 06' and I love that bike. It is the reason I own a Husky today.

It flat rips:thumbsup:
    Great power, great brakes, great turning, great trail manners... the whole package!
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

+++1 to what Kelly said. Keep the 04 plastic, it is much better than the newer stuff. I converted my 06 to 04 plastic and loved it. WR 250 rips, I don't know that you need the 300 kit and you certainly don't need the decomp head. I have it on my 360 and that is a good application. Definitely send out the suspension, but then ride it:thumbsup:

Walt
  6. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    You are going to like that 04 if you get it. I sure don't want to part with mine.
    When I first got it I thought I wanted to update the plastic and decided to wait. I'm glad I did cuz the blue/yellow is so Husky.
  7. Woodsknight Husqvarna
    AA Class

This is what had me wanting the auto decomp head. http://www.husky.com.au/html/archives/sidetrack/wr250/wr250.htm

I should have mentioned that I doubt I will race this bike. She will get juiced up correctly but it will just be for winter riding with Trellies and a practice bike. Pretty much sealed the deal with the guy today and i should be able to get the bike this week. NO its not a super light new ktm200 like I have in the garage now, but I expect this thing to stick to the trail like glue and have a great motor. I'm getting sick of Ktm's. I have owned and raced them for over 2 years now. Im burnt out on them. A brand new leftover 09 TXC250 for 3,800 bucks and a low hour 04 WR250 for 1,700 bucks should make a great arsenal for 2010. I see good things in my future. The only down side to all this is that I could end up turning AA this year in the points if a few guys drop out of the points. If that happens, I wont be making any Husky bucks in the aa class. Im on a husky kick though, Im as excited to get the 04 as I am the new one. Damn I love dirtbikes!
  8. gixxerw1 Husqvarna
    A Class

This decomp head, i have seen them in the past but could never find one to buy. Where is everyone getting them link?
  9. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I bought my 360 decomp head from R & D Husqvarna in AU. They don't list one for the 250 so I assume they don't make it anymore. Send them an e-mail and they can give you the straight skinny.

Walt
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    the 09 TXC qualifies for husky bucks i believe. And be careful, those WR250's can be addictive and cause other bikes you intended to ride / race sit in the garage.

they are freaking crack for me. :D
  11. fury1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

check the kicker.mine was sloppy and needed to be replaced on my WR250,its pricey and I would check the rear linkage for slop,other than that it was a great bike and the only thing I wished it had......6th gear
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I don't know why they went away from the excellent trans in my 94 WXC as it will crawl up a tree and still do 80 in 6th
  13. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Yes, they really need to rethink that six speed thing at Husky. I love my 6 speed. I road a GP the other day and it had a long road run that had all the other bikes sounding like they were going to bust a lung, but my WR was still pulling at the end.:thumbsup:

If these WR250 /300's came with Provini valves, JD programmable ignitions, auto clutches and six speed gearboxes again standard, they just might be the ultimate dirt bikes. :banana:
  14. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    Fixed it 4 ya!:thumbsup:
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I think we will see an all new 250/300 platform within the next 2 years.
  16. DoctorDemento Husqvarna
    B Class

I hope so. That kinda what I've been waiting for. Not that I'm currently in a position financially to run out and buy a new WR250/300, but I don't want to go out and get one then have them totally redesign it the following year. :banghead:
  17. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I don't think it needs a new frame, I like this one better than my 510's. A Keihin carb, yes ( I forgot that) but a new frame, no.
  18. Woodsknight Husqvarna
    AA Class

I rode a 2001 WR125 tonight. I tell you what that thing ripped on the topend. Seemed like a fun little bike. I liked the chassis. The bike seemed well thought out. Still waiting for the guy with the 04 to get back to me to setup a time to see the bike. I just emailed R&D Husky in Austraila. I will post back on the years and models and how much it is to get it to my door.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    It does need a new frame. The current one is heavy, set up for a right side chain, and does not, IMHO have the turning prowess of the 08-09 frames. I will say I was pretty surprised how much better the 09 WR300 turned than previous WR250's. The new triple clamp for the 50's must have a different offset or something.
  20. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

We wont see a new WR250/300 until 2012 at the earliest. I think a 450/510 replacement is more of a priority to the engineers at Husq than a 250 2 stroke.