1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2003 TE 450 Parts U.K & Repair Questions

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by crotchrocket, May 2, 2017.

1. crotchrocket Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2003 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    yep
    Hi All,

Proud owner of a 2003 TE 450, which I picked up at the beginning of march. Having done a few days of green landing and a couple of trips to Salisbury Plain the old girl needs a strip down and some sorting. Where do you guys get parts for older Huskys in the UK? Below is a list of issues / parts any help on the issue or parts would be gratefully appreciated.

.Front Wheel bearings to be replaced
    .Front right fork seal is weeping.
    .Valve shims need replacing on both exhaust and one intake as the gaps are out. Where do i get individual shims from to save buying a set?
    .Chain tensioner rollers on the top and bottom of swing arm need replacing
    .Head race bearings, slight knock. Presume they can just be tightened?
    .Throttle is on/off. It chokes itself a bit, 2 stroking at constant speed, gets a bit bogged down then you give it full throttle and it goes like hell for leather which makes it a bit of an ass to ride. The last trip out the bastard was a nightmare to cold start. Short of cleaning out the carb completely and checking the base settings for the needles is there anything else to look out for here? assuming the cold start issue and throttle bogging / delivery are linked.

Now the main / more involved issue. There are two issues with the bike, which I now believe are both related. The bike has a very noisy starter, sounds really nasty when turning over but works fine. The bike also has a clattering coming from the engine under gentle load in the upper gears. Sounds something like the clutch basket rattling. So had a look and there is a small amount of play in the clutch basket, but only small. Then i pilled the starter motor. The cog on the engine side wobbles from side to side and is showing signs of damage where the starter is chewing the edge of the cog because of the play. Could the rattle all down to that?? Isn't that cog idling all the time as its on a one way bearing? I'm guessing the bearing is toast which is why the cog is moving and the starter sound is noisey. The bearing in the starter motor seams fine.

Any help advise much appreciated!! Put a picture of the bike in the 'show us your bike' thread but its awaiting approval from admin.
  2. One-speed Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gsxr1000 k4
    Hi, I have used moto4 (uk) and they have been great, fork seals are pretty easy to replace you can buy shims individually or buy a set of hotcams shims and you will be set for years, the huskys don't seem to move much too be honest.head race bearings will tighten but worth greasing them before you do that, as long as the head race isn't notched you are fine. Regarding on/off throttle I got a jd jetting kit and to be honest can't recommend it enough, make a huge difference to my 510, easy to fit and gives you a few options.
    Not sure about the rattling as not 100 percent about location / sound but worth pulling the clutch basket, the rivets on the 04/05 are known to back out and cause minor or total engine failure problems depending on where they end up. Easy done and will give you a bit of peace. Pull the stater and have a look at it if you think it's on its way out,
  3. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The jd jet kit is for the kehin carb not the mikuni on the 2003 models.
  4. One-speed Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gsxr1000 k4
    Apologies half reading a post error!
  5. oneal Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 wr 250 returned home.
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 TE 450 2005 TE 450 1999 CR 125
    I use Husky Sport www.huskysport.co.uk and Motosupplies www.motosupplies.com for all of my husky parts. and oro2u.com for all my other the bits and pieces. I'm sure that the valve shims are 9.48 mm same as the Japanese bikes. https://www.crfsonly.com/calculators/crf450-valve-shim-calc.php to help you with your shim measurement.Your fork seals may just need to cleaned out you can use a feeler gauge and some WD 40 and take your time and a lot of clean rag. I had the sprag clutch just fail on my 05 450 which took out the the intermediate gear so pulling the case to to have a look might be better to do sooner than later. as i had the same type of noise you've got going in your motor. here is a link for a manual if you haven't got onehttp://www.husqvarnafactory.nl/pdf/2003.htm. hope this helps some what.
  6. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Oneal the valve shims should be 7.48mm on a 2003 model, husky didn't go to 9.48 shims until 2005.
  7. crotchrocket Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2003 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    yep
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and helpful links etc. Looks like its time to get the thing stripped down and see whats what! Cant wait to get it up and running right, its such an amazing bike.