2001 Husqvarna 610 Engine Teardown

Discussion in '610/630' started by Flynn, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Figured I'd post this pics.

I had a great 18 months on my 2001 610 SMS.

I had dual sport wheels and S/Moto wheels for it so I rode it off road and on road and, kinda fittingly, it died during my first trackday

The lump seemed to have started burning oil at some point, which had gone largely unnoticed by me.

I know it was doing it a month before my trackday but it didn't seem too bad.

Anyway the rocker arms seized but it was still running so I rode it back to my garage gently.

That was the 8th of july and the bike has sat in my garage since then.

Pulling the head confirmed the motor had been burning oil.

A LOT of oil

I guess it was the valve stem seals and or piston rings, still gonna tear the head further down to check the valve seals.

Not sure what normally makes a motor burn oil, although the air filter was quite dirty.

And the carb boot never seemed to seat properly, so perhaps some dirt got into the motor during my off road riding.

Attached Files:

2. mg94 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    How's the cylinder? Partial seizure there can lead to oil in the combustion chamber slipping through the rings. It seems odd to me, those pistons have very thick rings...
    Since you seized due to low oil I would recommend splitting the cases, check the bearings health and connecting rod clearance
  3. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    It was only the rocker arms that seized, the bottom end is fine, still oil on everything.

The cylinder bore looked polished, I will take some pics next weekend for you.

Due to the wonders of eBay I've sold the rolling frame in less than 24 hours for £200!

So that will free up some space so that I can look at the engine in more detail and post some pics for ya'll.

I will get some pics of the bore and put them up for you!
  4. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Turns out the guy who bought it thought the engine and knobblies were included but I didn't intend them to be.

So I threw in the knobblies and askef for an extra 50 for the engine, do it's gone now.

I didn't plan that but it was getting dark and I was also doing something on my Triumph at the time so didn't have time to negotiate and didn't wsnt to seem an asshole.

So sadly I won't get to update this thread with anymore pics:(