2 Questions: Head Gasket, Backup Parts, Valves.

Discussion in '610/630' started by Sharakov, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Sharakov Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm610
    2008 sm610, 6700miles - few questions. Getting some differing opinions from mechanics.

1). Head gasket: I noticed a moderate amount of oil coming out of the head, but when I took it to a local husky shop for a 10k kilometer service he basically said "yeah these bikes are pretty hard to keep from seeping some". Later I take it to another shop and the guy is pretty adamant that it should be taken care of. Any comments on this?

2). I've also heard it suggested recently (by second shop guy) that it might not be a bad idea to stock up on some of the more unique hoses and other parts on this bike if I plan to keep it for awhile ( I do) in case they start getting hard to acquire. Anyone else doing this? Any recommendations for what to consider stocking up on?

3) valves:. First shop (dealer) basically listened to he bike running and said "nah it's fine". 2nd shop "you can't tell shit from listening, you should you get it checked while we fix that head gasket"

So what do you guys think? Is the dealer (1st shop) being too lazy/easy-going about stuff? Is the second shop just gunning for work/money? Thanks for your input!
  2. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    I would put money on the oil leak coming from the joint between the rocker cover & head.
    The water pump housing needs to come off to take the rocker cover off & seal the joint using a light smear of instant gasket, easy job.
    Checking the clearances is an easy job, should be done after sealing the rocker cover to the head
  3. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    What he ^ said, rocker box leaks on all of the bikes with similar design, like KTM LC4, I use Hondabond (ThreeBond) grey sealer to redo it every few years on KTM, then check valves and it's good to go for another 10k
    There are many grey color sealers out there, what I found from personal experience that whatever Honda uses lasts the longest, it's made to their spec by ThreeBond, so you might get something similar from ThreeBond but not exactly same, they also make YamaBond and many others, I'm sure it's all good, but I always used HondaBond with good results and my thinking is why mess with it if it works
  4. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    6700 miles? Start worrying when there's another zero behind that number. My 07 has 92k on it and running strong as ever. Just make damn sure that you grease the countershaft sprocket splines every time you lube the chain.
    Guns N Husqys likes this.