1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

1st ride on TE449...shifting issues!

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Walt Hastings, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Walt Hastings Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC449, 2013 TE449, 1972 450CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Victory Cross Country Tour
    Just bought a 13 Te449 with 370 miles on it. Rode it around the neighborhood yesterday for the first time, ( after getting the ZipTy oil kit installed), bike worked great, no issues.
    Today rode up to the local mountains; rode about 20 miles pavement and then about 10-15 miles on fireroads, with no problems. However, on the way home, (streets), I started havering problems shifting gears. 1st to 2nd was no problem, but 2nd to 3rd did not want to happen. After trying three or four times, it would finally get into 3rd gear...then 3rd to 4th was the same thing. Tried shifting wihout the clutch and it seemed to help... intermittently. Then, at the next stop light, I would take off and it would shift nicely thru all the gears! The next stop...problems again!
    Got back to my truck, loaded it up and drove home. After unloading, I started her up and took her around the block a couple of times.... tranny worked perfectly..shifted thru all the gears several times without a problem! WTF?

Thoughts??

Thanks,

Walt
  2. danny318 ___________

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    TTR230, '72 CT90
    Something jammed under the shifter maybe
  3. Walt Hastings Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Shifter moves, lots of travel.....it's like when you are in 6th and you try to shift again. (Shifter moves up , but no more gears!)
  4. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Is the shifter loose on the splines?
    Lots of threads about loose/stripped shift levers.
    Mine slipped up one spline & wouldn't downshift correctly.

If it is stripped, get an aftermarket one.
    The splines on the original part have a machined gap in the centre, aftermarket ones go all the way through.
    danny318 likes this.
  5. Walt Hastings Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks, Ill take a look but I don't think that is the problem.
    I rode the bike again this afternoon after washing it and it shifted perfectly...no problems!:):confused:
  6. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    :excuseme: Curious.......
    Walt Hastings likes this.
  7. Walt Hastings Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Disregard...I figured it out. I'm embarrassed to give the details!:banghead:
  8. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Now you have to lol
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Give it up man. We tried to help now you need to spill the beans :D
    Walt Hastings and Dangermouse449 like this.
  10. Gerald Vincent Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    In the past: XL600R, CX500, KAW H2,
    Were you using the correct foot each time? Just Kiddin....Tried to think of the most unlikely scenerio.....
  11. Gerald Vincent Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    In the past: XL600R, CX500, KAW H2,
    All kidding aside, sometimes ny bike shifts soo smooth, sometimes notchy, always 1st to 2nd. Doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason.
  12. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Not using the clutch????? :D
  13. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    C'mon Walt, give! You can't be the only guy to have whatever happened happen. So you went from TC to TE huh?
  14. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Was the shifter mounted too high on the shifter shaft? If its one position higher on the splines, where I would actually prefer it to be myself it won't shift at all. It will rub on the bulge around the output bearing support on the case behind the sprocket and cannot be shifted.

Tell us what happened to your bike?

I run the Husky 449's Shifter lever on my BMW Chassis as the BMW shifter is shorter in length and has about the same problem. Its mounted too low for my personal taste and Big foot.
  15. Walt Hastings Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well.... I took the TE out for another test this morning. Rode around the neighborhood for about a 1/2 hour....NO shifting issues. I was wearing my tennis shoes....... It seemed strange that only when I wear my MX boots do I have problems.
    So.... put on the BIG MX boots, (size 13) and took her out again. Starting having problems again.... discovered that the boots are twice as tall as the tennis shoes, so ... when the boot is positioned under the shifter tip and my foot is in "riding position", the boot is slightly lifting the shifter.
    When I pivot the boot up to shift and leave it under the shifter, the shifter is not allowed to go back down..all the way...so no more up shift! If I slide the boot out from under the shifter after each up shift....no problems! Pretty stupid huh!!:doh:

I was thinking about taking the shifter off and rotating it up alittle....until I read Big Timmy's post....

Shouldn't be a big deal now that I see what was happening....just have to pivot my foot out from under the shifter after each up shift.:o
    Motosportz and LandofMotards like this.
  16. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Thank you for the laugh! :). We all could fill pages of dumb crap we've done. Always better to hear someone else's story though lol
    Brandon Bodine and Walt Hastings like this.
  17. Walt Hastings Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, TC to TE..... was close to getting a TE after selling my BMW last yr, but got the MX bug and bought the TC instead. Have been racing with the Old Timers club since Feb and came to realize that it is not for me., (I'm not 18 yrs old anymore!)
    Just too bloody hard, (20 minute motos!) and too many injuries...... kind of took the fun out of it. Had a great time yesterday with Mark Hochman on the fireroads and trails ....lots more time in the saddle and no injuries!!
    So, the TC is for sell..... (It will turn out to be a rather expensive endeavor...:banghead:)
  18. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Walt, I like a boot with a welt type stitched sole old school style. Like a work boot not a tennis shoe or not the new molded soles like many newer boots are. I use the edge of my boot half the time or more to upshift. Hardly ever actually poke my whole foot up under the shifter.:banghead:

Nothing to feel stupid about Fella.:naughty:

You and I just have big feet.:cheers:

I'm over it.:lol:

I have recommended the Husky Shifter to many of the G450X riders as well because it is about 5/8 longer in length than the BMW shifter lever is. It only partially solves the problem though in my (size 12) opinion but have gotten used to it.:thumbsup:
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    If I had some extra money I'd grab that TC449 from you, i want one. But running a company seems to be kind of expensive. :D Well that and I have way to many bikes right now. Want to trade for a XC500, TT500, KLX250, XT200 and a semi parted out KX500? he he he
    Walt Hastings and LandofMotards like this.
  20. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Good to hear it was an easy fix Walt! Not laughing, all good.

You should be able to go up one spline out of the standard shifter ok without contacting the cases, that is how I ran mine till the original stripped.

Getting at the bolt isn't easy but is possible. I dropped my chain off at the joiner to get a little more room & bent the ring end of an 8mm spanner to get at it. Had no trouble then at all.