1990 510TC

Discussion in 'Older Single cams' started by Krudd, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    Yesterday I bought what I think is a 1990 510TC.
    Can't find much info on the model but it seems there were only 50 made. Can that be correct?
    No frame no. is stamped on the frame only the prefix 9T.
    PO reckons the cam bearings are shot and that's why he stopped riding it.
    Bought it very cheap as parts bike for my '89 510TE but getting second thoughts..
    If there indeed were only 50 made it's kind of unique. I have the tank and seat and shrouds too. Rear wheel in pics is wrong of course! :)

Any info you have on this model is appreciated!

a1990TC510.jpg b1990510TC.jpg DSC_3590.JPG
  2. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It might be an old race bike.
    robertaccio likes this.
  3. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    I hope it's not. Hope it's not rare or valuable either.. On huskyclub.com the 9T is listed as a 1989.

Skärmklipp.JPG
  4. daftmate Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x '89 TC510, 1x '89 TE510 +7 more.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BSA 10, Matchless G3LS, Yamaha HL540
    Think you made a great buy. Your right that 9T is for TC (crossers) and 7T is for TE (enduro). I think of the 1990 510 as kind of the link model. I have a 1991 with the same body work but by then the engine grew to the 610 model. As you probably know the 1989 510 come out as A and B models with the B’s being the first ones out of Italy after the sale of Husky to Cagiva but design was unchanged. So that makes the 1990 model really interesting as the first husky four stroke with Italian design input. How much of the changes were already in the development plan back in Sweden would be grea5 to know. Things like putting the water pump on the cam were already tried in Sweden. Also it had the rear disc which was long overdue.

I like the swoopy bodywork of these early Italian ones and you can get nice graphics for them. Lots of us also prefer the 510 motor over the 610, it’s just such a nice motor.

The blank frame number gives cause for thought...maybe
    1. The original frame got damaged and this was just a new spare
    2. Or this a development hack and some of the old husky guys still in Sweden helped out with early development work ? But the key guys were off to set up Husaberg, can’t imagine everyone in Sweden was happy with the Electrolux/Cagiva deal and the closure of the Husky factory in Sweden. Who knows....
    3. Or its a bitsa someone bought a new spare frame for as the start of the build.

Really be a shame just to use it as spares for your 89, think it is worth the effort to restore. Production numbers for the 1990 TC may well have been 50 so it’s quite rare, you really don’t see many about. Seems pretty much all there, apart from getting the correct back wheel as you’ve already spotted.
    DM
  5. daftmate Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi, but the numbers 9T start again with the B production in Italy. So think bikes 9T 000001 thru 000050 are the last Swedish ones 1989 A then they carry on as 1989 B models same bike new graphics made by Cagiva in Italy. My 89’s are 9T 000079 and 9T000116. I saw an estimate of total 250 TC’s and a lot more TE’s like 700+.
    DM
  6. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    Thanks DM, that's interesting info.
    I won't be chopping stuff up or part it out. Might borrow the WP4054 fork for the '89 though..
    The parts are actually in rather good shape and all the plastics are ok.
    I'll definitely need to open the engine to see the extent of the wreckage. Fingers crossed..
  7. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    I don't think this bike is one of the fifty 510TC's I mention in the first post. More likely one of the 1989 B model that DM mentions. Or a bitsa.
    There are too many "italian" changes on it I think and the forks and shock are stamped as '89 and '90 parts.
    But anyway, I took the engine apart and it was mostly junk. Cylinder was scored and piston even more so. Head seems ok.
    The left hand case half is cracked near the gear shaft bearings. Clutch is ok, and the 5-speed gearbox shafts and gears look good.

The PO had had a camchain break and there were still parts in there from that. He didn't open the engine up when fixing it apparently so I found some debris.
    Pic shows a tappet adjuster and remnants of an oil screen and also what I think is part of the spring that sits behind the front primary transmission gear.
    There were lots of brass and steel particles too.

DSC_3606.JPG

The reason it was taken out of action last time was not failing cam bearings as the PO thought. But rather that the big end had seized solid.
    This engine has the external oil line to spray oil to the rods big end.
    But to make that work properly, the hole used previouosly for the same purpose then needs to be plugged.
    I think the plug went missing when the cam chain broke and that eventually led to the big end seizing up when he started riding it again.
    All the scrap metal in there didn't help either.. :p

DSC_3602a.jpg

So chassi and plastic parts go to the back of the shed and WP fork goes on the 510TE instead.

This bike was so cheap that I could almost get my money back just by selling the kick starter, so I'm still happy! ;)
  8. daftmate Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hiya, Can I politely disagree....don’t think it’s an 89. A few key points:
    - The water pump is on the cam
    - The frame has mountings for a rear disc master cylinder
    - The air box and rear guard are just like my 91 610, 89’s very different.
    - The radiator mounts are different to an 89, just like the 91...

Do you have the tank and rad guards ? If you do a picture would confirm.

So I do think you do have a 1990 TC 510, worth restoring when you get around to it. They seem quite rare and first sign o& Italian mods with more to come.

DM
  9. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    Please do, all info is appreciated! Photos attached of tank and rad guard. I have both sides and they're in ok shape.

DSC_3609.JPG
    DSC_3608.JPG
  10. daftmate Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yep, those are not 1989. First of the new style of tank and rad guards which came out in 1990. It must have been a good set up because with a few minor tweaks it stayed with us the next 10 odd years. And won a world championship with the great Jacky Martens aboard.
    DM
    robertaccio and Krudd like this.
  11. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    Too many '90 parts for it to be a '89 I think.
  12. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    Yup, I agree.
  13. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    It's an interesting bike Krudd, it appears to have the genuine tail light/indicator mounting plastic, headlight is different to my original one though, so most likely non genuine, I am unable to see a voltage regulator, same plastics as my 91 610, 90/91 style exhaust except the TE had another silencer after yours, my 91 has a WP shock but I'm not sure if the 90 models did, it also appears to have much larger diameter header pipes than my TE, which would also indicate a TC, and as previously mentioned, it has a rear disc master cylinder bracket and water pump on the cam instead of the clutch cover, which is also a cover I've never seen before, the later models had a removable section but very different to yours.
    This bike looks like a TC that was converted for dual purpose or at least some road use.
    I'm sure others will find more clues, I'd be interested to hear about them.
    I'd love to see it restored, I think you may just have a very rare bike there!
    Tony.

I think this is what your bike would have originally looked like, except for the 610WMX instead of 510TC decals.

e7af936ff9f883358c79e6b0a8c56e26.jpg
  14. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    Thanks for your comments Tony. Headlight is Acerbis but doesn't look original. Rear shock is WP.
    The clutch cover is just a repair unfortunately. There's a big hole under that cover... :p
    I think the bike was converted for enduro, as you say. I really like the look of that 610WMX.
    But my pile of parts are to far gone for me to restore it. I'll try to sell it instead, to someone that can.
  15. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

That's a real shame Krudd, but I understand your decision, I just wish it were a few thousand kilometres closer, I'd tackle that!
    This is my 91 610TE (still not cosmetically restored) at a recent Vinduro event close to my home in Australia, I've fitted a 50mm Marzocchi front end and rear drum brake to fit the rules of the Vinduro club I'm a member of.
    These are great bikes, just a blast to ride! Still fun after getting off my 400WR!

Yaouk Vinduro 2019.jpg
    Eurofreak likes this.
  16. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    Pictures and comments like those make me want to get the '89 510TE in shape. :cheers:
    Hoping to get more garage space soon for that project!
    ajcmbrown likes this.
  17. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too rare not to be restored, I really hope it is resurrected to it's former glory!
    Tony.