1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1988 WR430 Restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by NYWR430, Dec 30, 2009.

1. NYWR430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

This bike was purchased in pretty rough mechanical shape from craigslist. The bike was complete but did not run. I purchased with the intent of running it in a 100-mile woods enduro within a few weeks (August 2009). I replaced the kickstarter & idler bearings, reed valve, carb boot, and water pump shaft/seal with parts supplied by husqvarna-parts.com in time for the race. Got her up and running and finished the 100-miles without any major problems. This is my first Husky and it felt so unique as compared to the more modern bikes I am used to. I determined that the old bike deserved a complete rebuild. I've previously posted some pictures of the homemade bearing separators I built for tearing down the engine. This build will include a complete electrical upgrade and HID lighting as it will be a street legal dual sport. Progress will be slow, as I don't have a lot of free time. I'll begin this new build thread with some pics of the bike from the enduro run back in August. The older vintage husky in the second photo is not mine. It was part of a collection we stopped to admire...

Attached Files:

2. HuskyT Moderator

Great to see another new restoration hitting the forum!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:. Great bike choice. I like the vintage bike in the second pic... looks like a 1978 390 Auto with several parts missing :eek::eek::eek:

Have fun with this and take as much time as you need. I will be watching!

T
  3. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

NYWR430,
    Though I never had one, that year Husky was always one of my favorites. Post up what your doing. I'm watching too.
    Rick
  4. NYWR430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Rolling Chassis

Here is the bike stripped down to a rolling chassis.

Attached Files:

5. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 CR500, 85 CR500, 89 TE 610
    It's nice to see projects on the go.... You are lucky that you have access to a lot more second hand parts your side of the pond.

Look forward to seeing the progress.

Stu
  6. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Did they have a sound test at that 100 mile enduro?
  7. NYWR430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yea, the sound check had me nervous for a while. The rules stated a maximum dB level. I got the bike running for the first time a few hours before the ride, and only then realized how loud it actually was. It was too late to make any changes so I loaded it up and left for the enduro. When we got there I drilled a small hole in a bottlecap and shoved it in the end of the silencer. That made it real quiet! Got through tech and the cap "blew out" sometime later. Back in the pit area I finally managed to get a working clutch with some help from my friend and some WD40 between the clutch discs. Bike ran great after that! First riding experience on the bike was right out of the pit area onto a county road pulling 60mph+ for a few miles then into the woods. Great ride that I'll never forget.
  8. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    that bike will smoke just about any modern bike on the topend. mine does 95mph flat out. when I first got it I guess the chain was too short for the gearing on the bike and the tire swelled up at 95 and cut the shock guard in half right down the middle. I laughed my a$$ off when i saw it.
  9. NYWR430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Haha excellent story, wrx. I was very impressed with the bike's mix of low-mid range grunt with the classic 2-stroke top-end blast. The bike was pretty tired out when I ran it too, so I am looking forward to riding it after the rebuild. Does your 430 have any overheating problems? I had to stop several times in the really slow, muddy sections due to overheating/coolant loss issues. I'm thinking a bashed in radiator and rusty old radiator cap are to blame. I am fabricating a hidden coolant recovery tank for the rebuild.
  10. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I entered my 86 430 auto in a bunch of enduros and found it overheated in situations like you state. I had guards over the radiators. I think if you can't get some air through the radiators you will have that issue even with no guards. Some guys with modern 250 bikes with larger radiators and larger water pumps complain of overheating on these sections. If you are riding by yourself and don't have to wait in line to go through a bad spot it is kind of rare in my experience. My 430 auto had a fluid recovery bottle stock, a few models did not sure of the logic of which ones got it.

Fran
  11. NYWR430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, it was only in the really slow sections that the bike got very hot. I did have plastic mesh radiator guards on both radiators, so that may have had something to do with the problem. As long as I was moving, it was fine. I am planning on an electric cooling fan for at least one of the radiators controlled by a thermostat. I would love to see a picture of that coolant recovery bottle setup on the '86 430 if you have one available.
  12. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    NYWR, sorry for not getting back sooner. I never had any problems with it over heating, but it has always had ENGINE ICE coolant in it. I swear by that stuff. I have a 98 RM250 that used to overheat in the tight stuff , so I dumped the coolant and added ENGINE ICE and never had a problem since. so now everything I own that has a radiator on it gets the EI treatment.
  13. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    [IMG]

I see why you were thinking of that extra mount on the front downtube however that is where the bottle on the bike is. Second one is hanging. The overflow from next to the radiator cap goes into the bottom and if it gets too full it comes out the top.

Fran
  14. NYWR430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Fran,
    Great pics! My coolant overflow tank design is very similar to that stock tank in your pictures. My version is made from aluminum and will be attached instead to the backbone tube just above the engine via a stainless band clamp. I guesstimated the size at around 1/2quart. Initially I thought this might be on the small side, but it looks right in line with the one you posted. Thanks so much for the pics they were very helpfull. I'll post a picture of the finished tank when it's done.

Attached Files:

15. Pairofaces Husqvarna
    C Class

Good luck with the project. I too, just bought a 1988 WR 430 and I'm in the process of bring it up to speed. I'm currently looking for an owners/shop manual. Can you help me with request, (obviously for a fee)?

Look forward to your reply.

Pairofaces
  16. NYWR430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

No such luck, Pairofaces. Let me know if I can help in any other way.
  17. husky-parts.com Husqvarna
    AA Class

pm ME I HAVE WHAT YOU NEED
  18. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Really neat bike. I'll continue to watch, as I have an 85 500XC project, that I'm updating to 87/88 spec, and want to have a headlight setup to use when I need it. Some of your experiences/info will most certainly carry over.
  19. NYWR430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

1Tuff500XC,
    I saw your other posts about possibly changing the front triple clamps to accept USD WP forks. I will be doing something similar, but will probably use modern KYB or Showa USD forks. You mentioned the issue of mounting a headlight to your 500XC. Keep in mind that the stock round WR headlight housing doesn't fit too well over the larger USD fork tubes. I am currently investigating possibly heating the plastic housing with a heat gun and reforming the area that mounts to the upper fork tubes. I would really like to keep the stock round headlight as I think it's got character. Looking forward to seeing your build.
  20. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

How are the modern KYB or Showa's suppose to compare to the WP USD's???? Any info on this? I'm imagining the comparison has come up somewhere.

On the headlight, I got my hands on a well worn plastic headlight plate, with no light parts. Where does a guy get a round headlight replacement, whether OE type, or perhaps an improved version that still fits correct? Another question I have on the headlights you might know the answer to, is why do some Husky's have the round light, while others have the round cornered squarish light???? I'd sware my round light housing is correct for an 87, yet I've seen the square shaped lights more prevelantly on the later Husky's. What gives???? Really like your idea of trying to retain the round light, as I agree, it's part of these bikes and adds a ton of character to a bike that already has alot to begin with. I just love the housing dealy I got, and it needs a whole bunch of refinishing work/love, but it's a roundy and looks to have some history, and it's a Husky eye/light lol, no question. Lots O character. Thanks, I look forward to seeing more of your build as well, real nice bike, real nice.