1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1988 Husqvarna Wr400

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by HuskyKurt, Aug 4, 2011.

1. HuskyKurt Husqvarna
    B Class

Well, I've added another one to my addiction room (garage). This one runs but is pretty ugly. It has come with a steel Yamaha rear wheel and disc brake setup. My first goal will be to collect the parts to put the rear wheel and brake back to stock. Then we'll see if we want to restore it or do something else.

I will be doing most of the shopping on ebay so I was hoping to get some good information here. What I need to know is what bikes and years shared the rear wheel, hub, and brakes with the 1988 WR400?
  2. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Any pics?

You'll always be well advised to ofcourse cross check actual measurements once you think you might have found the right animal, but if it is like my '88 510, then a whole bunch of bikes down through several years. The CR's used a floating brake, with the appropriate bar/rod, if I recall correctly. Then, the WR's, XC's, etc., non MX bikes all simply held the hub with a tang on the swingarm, to keep it from rotating when hitting the brakes. But down by model year '85, the non MX bikes I've seen had the same floating type hub/brake backing plate, they just held it fixed with the bar/arm/rod being short and also attached to the swingarm.

I'd advise finding a pic or pics of your bike in here, or via Google searching, to see which general style seems correct. Then hit ebay, and hunt more specifically. Cross checking as you browse to double/triple, etc., check as you look. That's a big MO I have used with success for a long time.
  3. 1Tuff500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Lots of interchangeability on these bikes, as long as you know what animal/part your looking for.

I'd bet I could find a wheel for that easy on the bay, get drum/hub braking area measurements, and find a brake backing plate, axle with spacers, what have you real quick that way. And that's if somebody here doesn't pop up real quick.