1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1986 WR 400 Fuel problems

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Neil Youngblom, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Neil Youngblom Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 WR400
    First post. Restoring 1986 wr400 from a friend it started and ran. Took bike down to frame put back together and when I kick it gas POURS out the exhaust manifold. Took carb apart and cleaned all ports. When restoring didn't take carb apart just took throttle cable and carb off as one. Did take crankcase cover off to fix a leak. Any thoughts?? Skill level below a lot of the people on this site any help greatly appreciated.
  2. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    The petcock is either NOT shutting off and or the carb float is stuck. This allowed the cylinder to fill with gas. See if the
    petcock shuts off 1st, then gently tap the carb float bowl with a plastic end of a screwdriver to unstick float. The take the plug
    out & pipe off kick the bike thru for a while, should be gas coming out. I usually let it sit over night to let the gas dry up,
    & of course be careful with all the gas over everything you don't start a fire. Fairly common with old bikes.

Husky John
  3. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    yup, what he said
  4. Neil Youngblom Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 WR400
    Thanks had a friend look at carb says he thinks the floats seem to be working (like I thought) ill check the petcock. Appreciate it.
  5. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    happens a fair bit. I just hold it wiiiddee open and kick like crazy. fuel off, choke off. when it fires, it shoots stale fuel everywhere so don't point the pipe at anything expensive.