1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1986 CR435 - any info out there?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Murph, May 13, 2012.

1. Murph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi guys, not been on for a while, after falling out with my 390 and selling it. I just had so much trouble getting it to start and in the end it let me down one time too many so I decided enough was enough.:cry:

But as you all know, the Husky bug is difficult to shake off, so within a few weeks I was trawling the depths of evil-bay looking for another Husky to try my patience and drain my bank balance. :rolleyes:

I have decided that a later 80s bike is the way to go as this class of racing here in the UK is getting bigger all the time, and I have found a 1986 CR435 which looks like it has real potential. It is complete and according to the seller it is running, but it clearly needs some TLC.

Can anyone shed some light on this model? I am familiar with the CR430 from this period, but I am struggling to find any info on this one. Did Husky really make a model with a slightly bigger engine than the more common 430, or was it just a marketing exercise and the engine was in reality the same as the 430?

I found a bit of You Tube footage of a guy in Sweden starting his 435 up. A fantastic looking restoration and what a crisp engine!
    View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWmhJmXbYh0

Thanks for any help with this. :cheers:
  2. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

435 CR 85-86.jpg 435 CR 85-86.b.jpg

This 435 cr was for sale on french " Guide Vert" some months ago by an Italian guy !
  3. Wildebeest90210 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Did you get it? There is what is called an 'ex works' 84 435 on Ebay right now, took some finding. Claims to be a bike supplied to Ewan Syme(?) back in the day in Scotland. Looks very interesting, a runner, I hate Ebay................ !
  4. Murph Husqvarna
    AA Class

That is the one I am watching, it has only been on there for a day or so. Taking the "factory bike" bit with a pinch of salt, the 435 was a production bike, it just doesn't seem to be very common. It isn't an 84, he is only guessing that, it is definitely an 86. I have always liked the 85/86 bikes, but the 250 engine was a bit disappointing and the 500 was too much of an animal, so this might be just the ticket..
  5. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    I've been watching her as well, but no doubt evil bay will distort the price!!:(
  6. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300, 87 430wr, 86 430ae, Tr650
    Can you post a link? I've been tring to find the ebay post but haven't had any luck finding it.
  7. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300, 87 430wr, 86 430ae, Tr650

Attached Files:

8. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

Murph,
    Sorry to hear you threw in the towel on the 390....sigh.
    I'm still fighting mine. I recently pulled the pipe to get my dial indicator in to verify the timing.
    When I turn the pipe up to hang it on a rafter, raw fuel spilled out. Turns out I my floats where screwed up.
    Some how I guess putting the bowl back on, I pushed the tangs way up and it was causing a constant
    drip, drip, drip of raw fuel, whenever the petcock was open.
    I also discovered the timing was advanced, when I actually thought it was slightly retarded.
    Also in hopes of better starting, I installed Boyesen Dual Stage reeds. Supposedly the thinner top reed is more responsive and helps starting.
    Well long story short, after kicking a million times it won't start. Not even a pop.
    It has spark and is getting fuel (plug is wet when I pull it out).
    At this point, I think the bottom end is full of fuel and is washing out the spark.
    Wer'e going to have to take it to the desert and try towing it. If it starts and clears itself, I think
    the starting problem may be solved. I'm still hopeful.
    Otherwise, I may throw in the towel also.
    My son has enjoyed a few rides on it, but it is becoming more trouble than it's worth.
    Sure looks good in the back of the truck though.
    Ron

Joe\'s 390 Ready to Race 007.jpg
    390wr Jon likes this.
  9. Murph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi Ron, I had a sleepless night after I sold it, wondering if I had done the right thing. Should I have persevered with it? If I had done this it might have been ok. All those sorts of thoughts. But you have to draw the line somewhere and I was getting so stressed at meetings when it was giving me problems. I was losing my temper in front of the kids and suddenly I realised it wasn't worth it. I had to get rid of it and move on to something else (hopefully something a bit more reliable).

I had problems at one stage with fuel in the cases as well. I ended up turning the whole bike upside down to drain it all out. It takes two of you and a lot of care, but it does get the fuel out of the cases without stripping it down. I found that this was being caused by massively over rich jetting, and by the time I got it running reasonably well I had gone down to a 370 main from the 430 it is supposed the manual says it should have. I think the pilot was a 40 or 45. It was never easy to start though and that was why I gave up in the end.

It is a shame as they really are one of the best looking Huskies around and when the motor did go, it was great to ride. If I get this other bike, I hope it starts a lot easier and rides half as well. ;)
  10. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    I always pull the pipe of the carb when the bike is stood even if it is only an hour or so, I never really trust the tap, and its not very easy bump starting an Auto:rolleyes: I have not had to strip the engine yet but when I do I am going to try and install a drain screw in the bottom of the cases ala Villiers.
  11. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I take it no one has found a parts supplement for the 435.

As to some of the other stuff this thread got diverted to.
    A new needle and seat that the floats operate and check the weight of the floats should take care of the flooding of the lower end. I figure we are discussing the round slide micuni here. An in line fuel filter of course. Visually the needle and seat can appear fine but just doesn't work properly all the time. Perhaps just another needle with a rubber (rubber like) tip. It would seem the gasoline should go out one of the little tubes instead of into the lower end.

I wouldn't count on that 435 starting too easy, well kicking though that easy. I am pretty close to going to the 500 head on my chassis modified 430.
  12. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

The float bowl vent tubes on the 38mm Mikuni are above the float bowl part line, they are not overflow tubes.
    If the needle and seat leak, the fuel has nowhere to go but into the lower-end.
  13. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I put a case drain in all the Husky engines I have built. Big bores are easy, be careful on the 250"s as the crankcase is doublewalled in some areas.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    See if you can find a 86/87 WR400, great bikes. mine starts real EZ and it has a sweet motor.
  15. Wildebeest90210 Husqvarna
    AA Class

£535 finish, good price I think? Anyone here get it?
  16. John Archer Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 cross country 400 94 wxc250
    Other Motorcycles:
    tecate 250 honda trx 250
    i just bought an 86 400 xc with the 500 crank and head. it starts up very easily (just be careful of kickback). All everyone says is how fast the 500 is and what a monster. While true it's not a cr 500 but a husky and it is very tame when short shifted with all the torque. when the rpm's go up the road does go away rather quickly.
  17. Iveanoldhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1972 WR250 & 1977 360 Auto
    Other Motorcycles:
    Norton 1952 ES2 & 1976 Maico MC250
    .........Did you get it? There is what is called an 'ex works' 84 435 on Ebay right now, took some finding. Claims to be a bike supplied to Ewan Syme(?) back in the day in Scotland. Looks very interesting, a runner, I hate Ebay................ !

Hi all, I'm new on the forum, but this post is probably genuine as Ewan had a bike shop dealing in 2nd hand bikes in Selkirk in the Scottish Borders and the Husky you mention would be an Ex Doug Ker one also from Selkirk a Husky sponsored rider for the ISDE in back in the day. We all used to frequent the shop in West Port.......a blast from the past hearing the names.....
  18. Bjorn Lindgren Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    HVA
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    I have one as well! https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1610194882450416/