1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1986 430 Auto resto!

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by husky jim, Nov 26, 2011.

1. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300, 87 430wr, 86 430ae, Tr650
    craigslist 112.jpg Bought this Auto about a year ago, when I got it and fially started to get serious about working on it. I am well awhere of Autos being a money pit, but I still plan riding this bike regularly in the woods. I've been collecting spare parts off of CL and Ebay. I did buy new primary, 2nd/3rd gear clutch drums, shoes and springs. I plan on using 87 tank, plastic, brakes, as well as WP4054 forks. Just waiting on a few new shock parts ( seal,bushing, scraper,Orings) and should have a roller in the next week or so.

Attached Files:

2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Very cool. First pic is small... I want to see it BIG. Nice bikes. What year? Is it full auto or you still shift? Obviously I know nothing about the autos. Not that you would want to do this but a 99 front end bolts right on, gives far better performance, brakes, control and accuracy over the stock components. Would be EZ to swap back as NOTHING needs modified. Just a thought.

my WR400 with 99 front end...

[IMG]
  3. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'll work on the first pic. Ya totally Automatic 3 speed, no shifter or clutch lever to fool with. I haven't really rode it yet, just put about 1/2 hour on it once I got it running right and then took it apart. The rear suspension was froze solid from sitting I guess. Those 99 forks are off of what size husky are the WP or Showa. How does that headlight work? I would like to do more night riding in the hot summer months but the factory light is to dim with the weak lighting coil.
  4. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85/WR 400,86/WR 240,83/430 is mates
    Other Motorcycles:
    69@71/TS90-76/TS100-72/DKW-78/PE
    Pretty looking bike Jim.
    Nice chain guard:D
    We had a guy here in Aus who was a wizz on Huskys in the 70/80's . [He's still alive but doing other stuff now ]
    The factory used to send him next years model to play with and when he'd finished it went back and they would copy the interesting bits.
    Anyhow he did an article on making an Auto bomb proof.
    Tricky little things like radiusing the sharp corners on the shoes so the springs wouldn't break.
    Now all I've got to do is find it for you:thinking:
  5. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Different article Jim.
    Still looking for the other one.
    [IMG]
  6. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    The auto is a unique concept and hooks up and moves out like nothing else. The first two gears coast and how it "shifts" is when the next higher gear pushes harder than the one you are in then the lower one coasts. The way you ride it, gas and coast can translate into how you drive the hauling vehicle and upset your passengers. Either the complete opposite of a filled crank or losses in the drive line do put it at a disadvantage in a hillclimb situation contrary to what it seems taking off on level ground.

I hope to be riding long enough to re install one of those engines in the future. I did as good on that exact model getting trophies as anything, probably better.

I think the above text in a picture has some grave errors in it. The first gear drum (as you can see since you have one) has a spiral cut into it for lubrication. I did have two springs break on me however both times I was very close to railroad tracks to get out, don't even remember exactly where they broke, they can kind of jam against the lumps which contain the threads for the water pump stuff. It would apppear the earlier type of spring like in the above article have a hole so they can be used I call the springs for that model the pig tail ones as they kind of hang on on a curve similar to a happy pig or hog's tail.

I had come up with the left hand rear brake on my own before recluse was marketing their product. They excel in snow type terrain, strange snowmobiles are automatic aren't they?

Fran
  7. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Coming along slowly but surely. Picture 124.jpg

Attached Files:

8. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The first time I saw one of these race I was stunned by the traction.
    The auto made every thing else look ordinary going out of my checkpoint [ I was working a checkpoint in a 4 day ] and up a steep greasy hill in the rain.
    I remember thinking " OH! " :)
    Saw another one in deep sand at a one day and got the same impression.
  9. Rowan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 430 auto
    Hi Jim. That certainly looks pretty.
    I am not certain but I am under the impression that the ´87 model was a ´face-lift´ year and so used a different tank mounting system. So maybe the later tank will not fit on your bike.
    I ride my 87 430 auto regularly on organised trail rides over here and find that it often draws attention in the pits, Like ´what happened to your clutch lever´ : I thought I would leave it off to make the bike lighter and go faster - LOL.

The riding style is either on the gas or off the gas !! If you slip the clutches too much the will cause a lot of heat and also wear out faster.
    I have lots more tips if you want them.
    Rowan
  10. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Started working on my auto project again. Getting closer been looking for parts.
    Thanks to Phillip at husqvarna-parts.com for the hard work on finding the skid plate. Picture 304.jpg Picture 303.jpg
  11. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    75,82,83,2x84,85,3x86,87,88 and 89
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    Nice job! Like those forks (drool)
  12. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Worked on the bike again this weekend, finally starting to look like something.
    Ordered the rest of the parts yesterday from Phillip at Husqvarna-parts.com.
    Picture 316.jpg Picture 315.jpg

Have another 430ae project on the way. I purchaced from the original owner.
    Plan on keeping this one stock.
    5I85G85H13G33I43Lac1ab00c4820ac6e1ef8.jpg 5Lb5S55M43Fd3L33Nec1a792a4a14669d1164.jpg
  13. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Well, no need to try to find some 430 AE. They are all in your garage !!!:)
  14. Xanadu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 - 250 WR
    [IMG]

Please excuse my ignorance, but I see a protective cage wrapped around the waterpump housing, was that made by Husqvarna or is it an aftermarket product. I don't have one on my bike.

:)
  15. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I pretty sure the water pump guards were made by HuskyProducts.
    Look on ebay should be able to find one there.
  16. Xanadu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 - 250 WR
    Yes, a search on eBay found just one but, the $67.00 price tag is quite a lot and adding customs charges on top of that makes it higher still. I guess it's time to borrow a welding machine and make one myself.

Thank you for your answer. :)
  17. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Picture 366.jpg Picture 363.jpg

Started up it for the first time today and rode up the street. It seems to run fine and shift well from 1st to 2nd. I don't think I got it goig fast enough to shift into third gear. I can still hear the drums and shafts turning in the transmission after I shut it off. Sounds like it is winding down. I'm pretty sure that is normal,but it just sounds weird.
    Picture 364.jpg Picture 367.jpg
  18. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  19. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    75,82,83,2x84,85,3x86,87,88 and 89
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    Bike sounds and looks great Jim!
    Hope to see it bangin off some gears @ WOT next. ;)
  20. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    I rode a twin shock auto years ago and found it facinating. the one thing i took away is how much time in any corner on a normal bike you spend using "engine braking" to set up for a gassing up session. On the auto with no engine braking you spent an eternity inching to the point you could open it up... thus it really helped you focus on brake -turn -power with as little time in between each action.
    great bikes, wish id picked up a new one. back in late 90's a container load showed up in aus of brand new ones and at ~4k ech each, they were cheap then!