1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1985 Cr500 4speed value?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by speednutt, Nov 14, 2017.

1. speednutt Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 500 AE, 85 CR 500, 92 360 WXE
    I have an 1985 Husky CR 500 (serial# verified) with the 4 speed transmission. First year of liquid cooling. Complete bike, i like the bike but i might be willing to let it go to finance my 84 500 AE project. The bike has all plastics in decent shape. Just looking for a ball park price to see if worth letting go or not. I would say the bike is good condition for the year, its not even close to show quality but it isnt missing anything either.

If it isnt worth much, i might save the transmission to run in my AE until i get the auto sorted out.

I would even trade it for an AE transmission if it is complete
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    no idea without pics.
  3. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    Or location....
  4. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    First off I would say the 500 auto project would be the one to deal off.

To me without knowing if the rear of the engine is sound and the holes in the frame are still fresh certainly would have to low ball any offers.

Could look it up on line there was a thread on here I followed a link to determine what values might be when a few 83xc500 were for sale.

"If it isnt worth much, i might save the transmission to run in my AE until i get the auto sorted out."
    That is not a bad idea either but more complex than just typing it. You will need to put the air cooled top end on including the studs and all the way to the airbox. You will need to get the rear of the engine ready to work with a smaller swingarm pivot,

5 to 20 % of what a new 500 class Husky or ktm goes for is my guess. KTM 500exc-f msrp $10,999
  5. speednutt Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Here are some photos. I will take more when i get home tonight. Just have these for now.
    [IMG][IMG]

6. speednutt Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2nd try at photos

Attached Files:

7. speednutt Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    i have all the plastics and the seat, just had them off for a few inspections, normal maintenance
  8. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    4 years ago, I paid 1500.00 for my 1983 500CR. Running when I bought it. It needed forks and shocks rebuilt, tires, intake manifold and engine seals. Good tank, seat and plastics. Came with complete additional tank, seat and plastics for an 84. Of course, this is air cooled and twin shock, but thought it might make a reference point for you.
  9. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

$500 to $1000 in USA ?
  10. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Odd that it would be a 4 speed Correct ??
    Humm 500s and single shocks are not selling at as high of valve as twin shocks and 430s.

Good core 81 to 82 s un restored around $1800 to $2600 Restored $5000 to $6500. Prices are higher this year. My recent sold bikes
    are getting this on average and depending on final fit and finish a little more price than that - on last bike sold. Rick is getting up to $7000 a bike.

I have three sets of new cases left. and one new half case. Plus my main 430 with new cases used for last three years. (yes others still new and not exposed to oil ) I will ask for top prices on these bikes with new cases, these will be never available again. Note, I will be building one new bike for me for the spring. I using one set for me.

I sold 4 bikes so far this year and have two outstanding orders for two more built bikes. I am getting deposits of 50% on last three builds sold. Sorry to all , build time is slow, its just takes time.

Good to really nice non restored twinshocks , good nice cases, good kicker, good tanks, good Ohlins 250s and 430s are selling and being purchased around 2800 to 3800. these are well cared for bikes. Was real surprised at the number of nice huskies at last Arhma in Houston this last weekend.

Single Shocks core price is a bit lower 1200 to 1800. These are ones that are not in good shape and water cooled. I follow prices closely
  11. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    nope not odd at all. 500 cr's of that year came with 4 speeds. and 250's with 5 speeds.
  12. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Yeah still thinking big bore had same year , just put in a 5 speed in a 250. Really just had a gear blank in place of one gear in set.
  13. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Key is cases and kicker area. On water cooled of course the potential is the water damage. You can really take a bargain bike that looks bad and turn into
    a great looking bike. See about cases

Case s right now is the bigger problem. Cracks ( someone didn't not tighten swing arms ) moisture rot, and of course clutch gear, idle gear area cracks cans stall
    or ruin that good buy Look at Michels before and afters. Great work by him. Ran into some bearing bore problems , checking all bores with dial bore gauge of all bearing areas now. Finding some hidden cracks under front top mount of cases. Again someone not tighting front mounts too.
  14. speednutt Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks for the heads up guys. I will pull my 500 AE apart and see how all the cases are and go from there.

thanks
  15. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    The 500 ae has aluminum cases it may have issues but the cases are not one of them. At least not that I have seen in any auto. The design does not have a head mount so sure if things are not really kept tight problems will arise. Chances are problems will arise with a mono shock 500 in my opinion. I suspect the linkage creates massive stresses there more than before with dual shocks. Issues on them (auto, 430 and 500 specificly) are the first gear shoes and drum and spring kit that only lasted so long and nla for the most part. The taper on the drive side of the crank. Breaking springs on the first gear clutch, I suppose one way devices often called sprag on the shaft that the front sprocket attaches to. Might have forgot something. One of the bearings that sit into the primary drive cover is pretty undersized.
  16. speednutt Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks for all the help folks, i have spoke with a fine member of this site and it looks like i might finally have some parts to finish the 500 AE. I am all grins.
    2premo likes this.
  17. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    a guy in Reno NV had an 85 XC500 for 2500
    he was the original owner according to the listing
    it's not there so assume he sold it?
    looked pretty decent too
  18. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I picked up a non running cr500 LQ complete for $350 a two decades ago++ she had that piston to cylinder squeak that told me she had a air leak and seezed. That dry piston squeak. Remember that when looking at a non runner. It could get costly. Fact. The rear shock was shot. But it was repairable. But I was burned out turning wrenches as my health was failing. The cylinder was a .001” over the last bore spec. Remember at that time we didn’t have a supply of piston over sizes like we do now.