1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1985 CR 500 idler gear question

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Will W, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Will W Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85 CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 XC 430 89 KTM 500MX
    My 85 CR 500 chewed up the needle bearing assembly on the idler gear, what a mess. The shaft this gear rides on looks somewhat galled. I have purchased another shaft but am not sure how to remove the original. What do you think could have caused this assembly to come apart (circlip, washer, bearing cage). Thanks in advance. IMG_1554.JPG
  2. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    I know talking to one of cafe guys here who has done it. He basically grabbed the shaft by putting circlip and heavy washer on the shaft and grabbed it with puller.

I think it will take some doing because were are you going to place the shaft of the puller ?? Make a plate and lay or mount across the cases?

Cases would have to be heated as this is press fit in the mag case. Maybe a bearing puller that has a sliding weight somehow could work.

These are just ideas ? I pulled one out just to see one of these shafts- out of damaged case , be careful that mag can crack all along the fit of the shaft.

Those bearings take a lot of stress when kick starting or on kick back. Again just ideas - but case has to be heated.

Did not know they sell these shafts ?
  3. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    may have been no reason for the bearing going bad other than the it just going bad. i try to replace the bearing as part of "normal" maintenance.
  4. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    You can also pull it out without buying a puller . Used a bolt , ground down the head but left a tab to catch inside of pin . Shimmed bolt to one side of hole . Slip a socket big enough to go over pin . Mine had a step on it where it was pressed into the case . Heavy washer with a nut on it and tighten nut until it comes out . Keeps the pressure right on case outside of the pin . Pulled 2 so far using this method . Good luck .
    RUF likes this.
  5. Will W Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85 CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 XC 430 89 KTM 500MX
    Thanks for all the help.