1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1985 500 xc non shifter

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Four Digit, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Four Digit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 250 WR 1986 500 xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    Finally got my Beast to start with a reasonable amount of kicks but now I have run into a shifting issue. Basically it won't shift past 2nd gear!

I am aware of the pin in the clutch case and that it must go between the legs of the return spring. That being said, I have aligned the case properly ( on numerous occasions) i.e. pin between return spring legs. While on the stand it will shift up and down through all 6 gears and seem to function properly. However, once off the stand and after starting the motor the bugger won't shift as it did while on the stand. Perplexing as heck, to say the least.

Since I have three old motors, I had sufficient old parts to swap out the the return spring, kicker and hook link, three times. All looked good but still have the same problem.

Besides the shifting problem two things standout that I have found: 1. When I tighten the case screw next to the gear shifter it will bind the return spring action. In other words, the shifter won't return to center until I loosen that screw. 2. On occasion, I have found one of the pins in the shift drum protruding approx. 1/16 -1/8 inch out from the end of the drum. Is this normal?

Appreciate your input and thoughts regarding this.

Thanks
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I have never dis assembled that side cover or a whole engine and seen pins drifing out as you describe. I couldn't get worn ones out and changed the whole part to a better one.

What happens if you put the bike on a center stand and wiggle the back wheel while trying to get past 2nd?

Thre are two rods the shift forks ride on. The one with two forks on it I have found bent a little on two occasions maybe from crashing on the shift lever.
  3. Four Digit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 250 WR 1986 500 xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    None

Nothing happens..! I mean it doesn't improve or allow the the shifter to go into another gear.
  4. Four Digit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 250 WR 1986 500 xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    Think I found my problem. There is a pin missing from the shifting drum. Don't know how I missed it before but it is definitely missing. Question can these pins be replaced without splitting the case?
  5. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    On my 87/88 430, I bought new pins at fastenall & replaced them all without splitting the cases. I had to cut the pins down in length because they were longer.

Attached Files:

6. Four Digit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 250 WR 1986 500 xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    Found out they were replaceable. Luckily, I have a 2nd drum shifter and the pin was harvested from it. What was missing from my rig was the washer that holds those pins in place. Nothing like taking on a project bike to test one's resolve.
    oldbikedude likes this.
  7. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Those are the lessons we remember
  8. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    We learn as we go. I've seen worst things happen in the past when we purchase project bikes.

One 83 430wr the PO had the clutch cover off and told me it needed a new clutch. The clutch looked like new. The fiber discs were thick. I reassembled the clutch and shortened the center release rod so the clutch release lever on the case had 1/8" of play. The clutch was perfect.

On my 86 400 WXE the PO had the clutch cover off and didn't align the spring to the pin on the clutch cover. She ran and shifted perfect once I fixed it.

I like the bikes with easy fixes. Plus the hands on education we get.
  9. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Make sure your washer over shift drum pins is adequate to hold pins in.
    If not, is that pin in the engine? I just did a bottom end and guy had washer on there and was wrong size. So when he tightened it. Pin was almost ready to come out.
  10. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The pin is in the transmission. Just under the clutch cover in the clutch basket area.
  11. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Stuck in the 80's vintage
    Hello, I have the same problem. What was the fix?
  12. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    Same on my 500LC, here is what was found, one missing pin due to the wrong size washer, the pin was in the gear cluster area:

16900242_657962254408843_738309427_n.jpg

Here is what it should look like, notice the washer covering part of each pin to stop them working loose:

16900322_1492611994096236_1727281443_n.jpg

Replacing the pin will get it working again, bu where is the pin? Most likely in the gearbox like mine was. You might be lucky and never have an issue with it, but if it moves around.......
    Tony.
  13. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S

If you have a small telescopic magnet you could possibly poke it through the hole where the finger is in the above photo, you might just get it out without splitting the crankcases?
    MikeDi likes this.