1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1985 250 XC

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Houseofmoto, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Houseofmoto Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 250 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 KTM 200 XC, 2003 BMW F650CS,
    My first Husky. I'd found a pair of bikes at an estate sale, both an '85 and an '86. My buddy took the '86, which has the 411 number plate. We had been talking for several years about finding a pair of similar bikes to try some vintage racing. That way we could share parts, resources, and setup information.

Both bikes run. My goal is to go thru mine to get it ready to race. Functional and adjusted correctly is my plan for this season. It won't be a beauty queen this year. Hopefully, I can try a few of the AHRMA regional cross country races and enduros before the end of the season.

I'll have a ton of questions for all of you. I'll post up my progress along with questions. If you have suggestions or setup tips, I'll be glad to hear them.

IMG_2237.JPG
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    nice, looks like a good pair. swede huskies are great bikes but their quirks must be heeded!
  3. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Nice find. One is good but two is better. :cheers:
  4. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    Nice find...here is a basic how to I put together for another guy setting out on a journey of discovery.......

methodical process is all you need from here. bag and label everything....carefully. photograph everything, especially wiring + cable positions etc. see if you can get a parts manual online. print it off for the workshop. is invaluable for sorting what bolts went where.

then once the frame is bare, decide on your cover..powdercoat or paint. then get the repairs done and then prep it for a new coat of glistening whatever. [IMG] powdercoat needs to be grease free, spray degreaser up all the little frame drain holes and pressure wash carefully other wise it melts when coating and poohs the job. also, cover threads and put dummy bolts in threaded holes etc as the PC fills them up. painting is self explanatory.

make a list of parts then start shopping. dont put anything back on the frame till your happy its right for combat. check husqvarnaparts.com and HVA Factory for bits

I would go buy a box of 6mm and 8mm nylock nuts and get all the bolts that are still serviceable plated. pick up new 10 and 12mm where required.

as your making a rider, find a "how to prep the 250 for enduro riding" article and follow the tips. obvious things but essentials are new tyres, new chain and sprockets (unless they are in good shape) and new brake shoes.

Wheels, are the spokes tight and the rims ok? wire brush the inside of the rim back and run 3 or 4 turns of duct tape in the spoke well. cut out the rim lock and valve holes. I file the valve hole a bit so the valve can creep around a fair bit and not be pulled out of the tube.

Get the shocker serviced and dismantle and clean the forks before giving them a new set of seals and oils. wheel bearings front and back. get good ones not cheap ones. flick the plastic seal off one side and pack with waterproof grease. pop the seal back on. oil the cables (or fit new ones ) grease the lever pivots and clean and grease the backing plate pivots on the brakes.

strip the motor to fit new engine seals at a minimum. match the transfer ports in the cases to the barrel, open the transfers out to the gasket line on the barrel and clean up any daggy bits in the ports. assess the top end for serviceable parts. if your lucky, a light hone and a new set of rings might be the go.

replace the needle rollers in the kick start system as well as the roller behind the idler gear. NOTE...the clutch case comes off with all the bits on it...don't take the gear lever or the kicker off.
    replace the water pump seal and bearings while its apart.

look at shrinkfit tube over your electrical wiring from the stator to the backbone. get a new spark plug cap.

everything else should be straight forward refitting.
    check your reeds for cracks and splits, I recommend boyesons if you can find some. these can help smooth the bottom to mid / top transition.

check the inlet manifold for cracking and splitting. look carefully, they can split along a seam. consider a new carb if the old one looks worn out. nothing harder than jetting a leaky carb.

get the exhaust de dinged and straightened and make sure the muffler is freshly packed.

chuck the old plastics on and hit the track!

Special areas to check on those single boinger huskys are the pivot hole for the swing arm bolt in the frame, they can elongates and also pooh the engine case inserts as well.
    the needle rollers for the linkage can be an issue but lots of info here to help.
  5. 87husky500xc Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 tx300i and a few vintage bikes
    Other Motorcycles:
    77 honda xr-75..
    Check the swingarm for cracks while you're completing the other list haha they crack frequently in the linkage area. Both the 85s I had were cracked in that area.
  6. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    I forgot about that ...around the needle roller positions....I should get one then I would remember all this stuff
  7. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    All of the above is great advice and not to be considered optional, make sure you follow these tips thoroughly, these guys know what they're talking about!
    These are awesome bikes for their intended use.
    Tony.
  8. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85/WR 400,86/WR 240,83/430 is mates
    Other Motorcycles:
    69@71/TS90-76/TS100-72/DKW-78/PE
    Nice looking bikes the pair of them.
    If you feel that the front brake is atrocious , buy a Left Hand fork slider from a 87 and a caliper as well.
    They are 2 spot calipers and work well.
    The reason for the fork slider is because they use different mounts.
  9. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    75,82,83,2x84,85,3x86,87,88 and 89
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    The front rim would need to be changed as well, need a solid mounted rotor hub.

Nice score!
    justintendo likes this.
  10. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85/WR 400,86/WR 240,83/430 is mates
    Other Motorcycles:
    69@71/TS90-76/TS100-72/DKW-78/PE
    No problem with a floating/floating only problem and I've seen it is when you put a fixed/fixed.
    That's a floating disk and a floating caliper and a fixed disk/ fixed caliper.
  11. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I had checked the parts lists for the front hubs for both 1986 & 1987s. Same hub number used for both years but the disk numbers were different
  12. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    So why would i switch hubs if they are the same? They are different.
    The 1 not in the rim is the 85/86 style that has buttons to hold the rotor and they wear out fast as they are alum against cast iron. Thats a 87 rotor with bolt holes, 86 style has no holes.

20170408_151348.jpg
    justintendo likes this.
  13. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    hubs are different for single and dual piston caliper set ups.

thanks for the pic...i was too lazy to take one
  14. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    Technically the both styles have 2 pistons :thumbsup:
    Solid mounted calipers on any car or bike have a piston per pad.
    You can not run a floating caliper and floating rotor. The flutter in the rotor will knock the pads back too far when not in use and the first application on the brake will be like a brake pedal going to the floor. Scary.
  15. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

the 86 uses the same single piston caliper from the 85, in 87 they switched to the 2 piston caliper and use the modern style master you still see today
  16. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    I can count lol, small pad caliper has 2 pistons though. 1 per side, i rebuilt them before.
  17. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    Not trying to argue but 2 is 2 cheers

IMG_4469.jpg
    2premo likes this.
  18. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Then someone should have updated the part number for the 1987 hub. It does match the part number for the hub listed for the 1986. If an item changes, the part number should as well.
  19. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    I do know the 87 TE and maybe the 87 TX have the 1986 small pad floating rotor front brake still.
    So not all 87s have the solid mounted rotor with bigger pad caliper.
  20. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I was looking up the wheels on my 86 400WR and checking against a 87 430WR so it is certainly Husqvarna tradition that WRs and 4T models get the leftovers from previous years.