1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1984 XC500. Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by flyarmy, Jan 16, 2009.

1. flyarmy Husqvarna
    B Class

I am looking for my next project this winter and have come across a 84 XC500 that is in pretty decent shape. It does need a need clutch cover and new kick starter return spring, as most of them do at one point in their life. Has anyone had one of these Huskys and would you recommend owning one. Good and bad (+ and -) comments are always welcome. Do they start faily easy? Will they shake your fillings out of your head? Thanks and great site. Mike
  2. rajobigguy Administrator

They are horrible machines that should have never been produced. You should forward the guys info to me so that I can see to it that it is properly disposed of.:D

OK- seriously it was one of the best bikes that I ever owned. The torque curve was nice and flat, blindingly fast and pulled like a tractor from down low, even the suspension was as good or better than anything at the time. About the worst thing you could say about them is that some of the dogs on the transmission gears wore prematurely and after enough miles they would start to pop out of gear under heavy loads. You could usually take and back cut the dogs and get quite a few more miles out of them. Really a joy to ride with pretty nice manners for an open class 2T but definitely not a bike for beginners.
  3. Fritzcoinc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes they are rubbish.
    Let me know when you are done and want to sell.
    Here's one in Texas:
    http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/991078159.html
    Good bikes. Very robust. EZ to fit up compoents from other bikes.
    A TON OF POWER
    Sorry, power was understated, more like 16 tons of power.
    When I start up my 400, stuff is rattled from the shelves of my garage!
    The only trouble is that they are just not worth much.
    So keep fix up cost on the cheap.

Forgot to tell you this: Always kick start with plenty of head room. The kick starter lever should have a NASA sticker on it.
  4. mxpappy711 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Top speed

You guys forgot to mention an honest top speed of 104 stock. The CR went 94. Man is that fast on dirt, maybe not to you West coast guys though.
  5. flyarmy Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks for the comments so far. So I take it the bike likes to kick back a little when starting and it will vibrate the dishes off the shelf. The top speed is incredible, 104 mph is just an accident waiting to happen. Any other comments on these beasts? I have yet to buy it so I am still trying to decide if it would be worth owning. Thanks. Mike
  6. rajobigguy Administrator

I don't care who you are or what area you ride in, once you break the triple digit barrier on dirt you know you are living on the edge. I remember getting separated from group one time when I was on the XC, It was one of those days when it seemed like I could do nothing wrong, leading the pack by a large margin when all of a sudden I realized that I wasn't just leading they plain weren't their anymore. I tried back tracking to find them but no luck so I headed for the road back to camp. When I got to the road I realized that I was about 10 further away than I thought,so I began picking up the pace so I could get back to camp before dark, I got into a good groove blazing down the trail and really began wicking it up. I had it close to pegged out in 5th and was just glazing the tops of whoops then I dropped it into 6th (which is like a fire road overdrive) and pegged it. Right about the time I hit the triple digit mark reality sank in, middle of the desert, all alone , no one knows where I'm at and I'm doing 100. The rest of the ride back to camp was done a t a very sedate pace.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Ether that guy has a big offer or he is yanking my chain. I was looking at that bike as well.
  8. flyarmy Husqvarna
    B Class

Any more thoughts on the 84 XC500 before I pull the trigger on my next project?
  9. flyarmy Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks everyone for the comments. The Husky 500 is one of the biggest and baddest open class bikes ever made and if it is somewhere close to the fun factor of a 81 Maico 490 it will be great. Besides, my wife bought a new sofa during my last trip to SW Asia so why not spend a little on a classic. It will be a fun project.
    Thanks, Mike
  10. Fritzcoinc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well???????????? Got pics????????????