1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1984 500CR - Resto to Race

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Husky37, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 CR500, 85 CR500, 89 TE 610
    Well....... I must be mad. Have now acquired a 84 500CR (a model I used to race) so that I can do some Twin Shock meetings next year...

With my 85 500CR at a point that I can race it... I thought what the hell, 84's do not come along often so I thought I would get it while I could. It may take a while to sort out but I think it will be worth it.

The frame has already been powder coated but having done that to my 85 I wish I had stuck to regular paint so I might redo the frame but it depends on the funds.

Tank is the usual off-white but I'll give it the same treatment as I did on my other tank which will bring it back to white.

I intend to split the engine to give it the once over, check bearings and replace seals as a procaution.

So let's see what I can make of this one.

Stu

Attached Files:

2. NZHusky Husqvarna
    B Class

looks like some fun to me !!
  3. HuskyT Moderator

Stu.....

I don't think it is fair that you have two "Milk Trucks" .... you best ship that new one to me.... I will give it a brand new home, where it can bask in the hot desert sun and won't have to put up with any of those cold English Mornings.... it is old after all... you don't want it getting cold or anything...

T
  4. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    T. You are right... it's not fair. Your offer seems fair and genuine but I have decided to get some councilling. I have signed up for HA (Husqvarna Annoymous) and hope that the therapy includes track time :)

Until the results come back all I can do is to cope the best I can with the guilt.....

Stu

5. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    welcome to the club

Stu,

Welcome to the Twin shock 500 club, is yours a 4spd or 6spd?

Mines a 6, it's cruise missile :eek: now that i've got mine running
    correctly, it's time to see which is faster the Husky or my lastest
    toy a 1981 KTM 495.

Now get back in the garage there's NO cure for what you've got :D
    i've got the same sickness LOL

Attached Files:

6. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hi Ruwfo,

Thanks... I'm glad to be back in the club :) Mines a 4 sp which I believe all the CR's were in the UK. WR's had 6sp but I can't remember seeing any XCs.

If I get mine looking as good as yours I'll be well pleased.

If I remember correctly that KTM packed some serious may I say brutal power. I remember seeing Magoo ride a KTM 495 at Farleigh.... I think he was the only one nuts enough....

Is yours powder coated or straight paint?

Stu
  7. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Whoa! Having ridden both the KTM is the missile/bomb if you're a big fella, under 5'11"- NO WAY!

As for the Husky, if racing moto, go with the 4 speed- everything stays together.
  8. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Stu,
    Here's a copy of a 7/84 Dirt bike test on the 84 500CR, they only mention the 6spd, but i know the brochure only says 4spd. So i'd
    guess the early 1984 bikes were left over 83 motors?

Mine are all just paint, no museum pieces for me i ride them :thumbsup:.

And yes leftcoast you need a tall inseam, for most of the 80's MXers,
    i'm 6'2"

Attached Files:

9. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    As far as I am aware... in the UK they were only 4 sp. My 85 is also a 4 sp and are both CRs.

Thanks for posting those mag pages... I need to look back through my collection of MX Actions and Dirt Bike of that era. Tucked away in a couple of boxes somewhere.....

Stu
  10. LEADVILLEHUSKY Husqvarna
    A Class

Yes it is a sickness! 83 500 cr 84 xc 250, my 83 is a five speed. Realy tall first gear ,like they just took out first!
  11. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hi Guys,

I have had and still have some family issues that have taken a lot of my time....

Will put a bit more effort into it and post up some pics soon..... really need to get a bigger place to build this one.

Stu
  12. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    First of all the bike is now finished. There has been several reasons why I haven't posted in a while.
    One of which was the passing of my Father-in-law in March and having to deal with not just the emotional side but also the financial. A good man who is sorely missed.

I didn't take as many photos as I would have liked. I don't think I have done anything special to document as most of the other restorations have covered.

As you can see from picture 1 in the original post the start of the project was with the bike in bits... but not with all the bits. Frame had been powder coated which I thought would be a problem as it was with my 85 but it didn't seemed to be too much of an issue with the 84 frame

List of parts replaced:

Frame:
    * Forks re-chromed due to pitting
    * Steering head bearings
    * Swinging arm bearings
    * Chain tensioner
    * Wide foot pegs
    * Seat recovered
    * Plastics
    * Tank - Sprayed with Krylon

Running Gear:
    * Front and rear wheels rebuit with s/steel spokes and powder coated hubs
    * Rear brake shoes
    * front and rear sprockets
    * Chain

Engine:
    * Liner and piston
    * New Pipe
    * New Silencer

Misc:
    All cables, levers
    * Con rod
    * Main and crank bearings and seals
    * Clutch

My biggest problem was that when the engine was stripped we found that the liner had cracked down the skirt... It took a while but I had another liner made and inserted so it was then back to standard bore size. I also fitted a new con rod and more.... so I hope the engine will last for some time to come.....

Panic came when a race (Farleigh Castle Twin-shock) I had entered for finaly confirmed my entry... three days before the race the bike was almost complete. Complete enough to try and start it. Then disaster.... 4th kick and the kick start shaft sheared off. I don't stab at the kick start, never have so on closer inspection I could see that a fracture had been there for a while so was just bad luck. A trip down to HVA Factory sorted the issue (Thanks Andy) and she fired up late afternoon. Just enough time for me to get back home, get some kip and then off to the race on the Friday.

I must admit that I'm feeling quite chuffed with myself as not having any practice time due to circumstances and not having the bike ready to try it out... Last for race/enduro was in '87 (can't count Farleigh last year as I didn't complete 1 race lap) I was not the fastest but also not the slowest... I survived the weekend.

Enjoy the pictures.... I'm sure I might have left out some detail..

Next project.... looking out for a 1984 510 4 Stroke... but might do some mods to this one while waiting....

Stu

Attached Files:

Rossik likes this.
  13. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Two pictures from race day....

Attached Files:

pvduke likes this.
  14. dirtaddict23 Husqvarna
    AA Class

You and that bike sure look great! What did you use to whiten the tank?
  15. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I have heard that you are able to bleach the tank but I have never tried this... I have a spare tank so I might try it.

I used Krylon paint (Satin finish) to bring the tank back to life... I first rubbed the tank down with fine wet and dry then put a couple of coats of the Krylon on and to my mind it's not a bad finish. I haven't sealed this tank like I did my 85 due to time but I will because I don't think the Krylon provides a barrier to the fuel vapour.

Hope that helps.

Stu
  16. dirtaddict23 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thx :)
  17. roffe Husqvarna
    A Class

Hi Guys.
    We are on are way to paint a Husqvarna 500 83. Do you guys know the paint # of the white color?
    The blue and yellow? By the way what is Krylon? I know it is some kind of color but never heard about it in Sweden.
    OK guys try to help me out!
    Thank you very much.
    rolf
  18. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hi Roffe,

Krylon is a spray paint (in a can) which is used to spray plastic items such as Garden Furniture etc so is only useful for 84,85 tanks.

Not sure what colour code/name is used for the White/Blue/Yellow. I'm sure somebody else on the forum knows. If I find out I'll post it.

Stu
  19. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    god that bike looks nice, on and off the track. good on ya mate!
  20. xphippyx Husqvarna

"The white I use is Colormax Solid Chip number SA 003.50, Husky Red I use is SR 001.50, and one of the blues is SB 232.20.
    These can be found at any BASF paint suppliers in the qualities listad above. Bring in your parts and they can show you the chips to match the codes. i am also currently in a restore project and found this info contributed by endurokids. hope this helps.