1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1984 500 AE Wont Start

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Terrence, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Terrence Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1984 Husky 500 AE
    NEw top end, rebuilt ignition system by reputable Vintage Motoplat expert and still I can not get the bike to run. The longest it has run was about 30 seconds. Anyone have any suggestions?
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I once broke a reed and could start the bike but it wouldn't do anything but idle or die. It probably wouldn't have run all that long without stalling if I gave it a chance. That is the closest to what you describe I have had happen. It was about 15 to 20 miles after getting it started from flooded by pulling with rope which I never did again and never broke a reed again. It was pretty much that cylinder and reed cage you have.
  3. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    Pull the flywheel off to see if you have sheared off the woodriff key. You will still see spark and a wet plug, but it's not going to start because the fire and fuel are not dancing together.
    Iva likes this.
  4. Terrence Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1984 Husky 500 AE
    Flywheel key is fine, gettting spark, but looks weak to me, but Im told these old Motoplats dont put out much. By chance I checked the compression.... only 65-75psi.... I think it's supposed to be 150psi. Now I am tjhinkingi need to have the head ground to get a good seat as I think this is where it is blowing by. Does any of this sound correct?
  5. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    Try laping compound before doing any machining. Not sure what psi is supposed to be.
  6. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300, 87 430wr, 86 430ae, Tr650
    Are you sure your getting fuel? Did you try a few good squirts of starting fluid directly into the carb?
    To get an accurate reading you will have to be giving a real good kick but 75psi seems to low, my 430s run about 130psi. Who put the top end together? Did you have it bored or honed? Did you check the ring end gap? Did you install the piston with the arrow pointing towards the exhaust port? Did you install the ring correctly on the piston with plenty of lube? Did the ring move freely on the piston?

You should be able to find more info in the Vintage Tech Ref and Parts section. If you can't find the exact shop manual, you should be able to find one for a air cooled 500 close to that year.
  7. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Terrence,
    If you only got 75psi max, with fresh top end, there's something wrong, a 500 has a ton of compression. I'd pull the top end off & double check the
    items Husky Jim advised. What Fran mentioned you could also check while the top end off. Does the motor have a new base gasket? My 84 500CR has
    major league compression, so there something not right.

Husky John