1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1984 250 XC Update - resto LeadvilleHusky's bike

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by LEADVILLEHUSKY, Nov 5, 2010.

1. LEADVILLEHUSKY Husqvarna
    A Class

its coming along! got evry thing cleaned up! motor in ! waiting on shock rebuild from my friends at the clinic in minturn ,colorado.just ordered plastics from dc. anyone have any ideas on were to find tank badges and side decals, 1984 xc.

Attached Files:

2. Svenskbike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    510 TE's , 430 WR , 500 XC
    Here's a good address for your decals http://www.vintagehusky.com/products/decals/d0016.htm

Regards Kay
  3. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    http://www.eurodirt.com
    I got decals and badges for mt 84 250WR from them on eBay a couple years ago. Check them out
  4. LEADVILLEHUSKY Husqvarna
    A Class

thanks for the input. euro dirt, he is down in silt. last time i talked to him, darel.. he onley had pre 83 stuff left, but he does have tank insert badges. thanks!
  5. LEADVILLEHUSKY Husqvarna
    A Class

thank s for the link to vintage husky!!
  6. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I am getting ready to finish stripping (3) 82 WR frames, 83 CR frame, 84 250WR frame and 86 400 WR frame. I am stripping the frames because I was told the 86 frame was powder coated and found out it was not when the paint chipped and found 3 color coats underneath. Did you match the white you used for the frame to original? I purchased PPG Concept with flattening agent to soften the high gloss but got generic white and have concerns about matching original if different
  7. LEADVILLEHUSKY Husqvarna
    A Class

im a body man, so my painter mixed it up the best he could .used industal single stage . very tuff. spray clear bra also. im not to worried about perfect match its gonna get raced!
  8. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sounds like music to my ears.. Glad to hear you will ride it

you picked a good time of the year to do your restoration..
    Leadvillle... Brrrrrrrrr !

keep posting up...
  9. LEADVILLEHUSKY Husqvarna
    A Class

This bike is kinda of a test to see how things go, i got a 83 500 cr thats gonna get all my attetion.just wanna do the 250 and see what works
  10. LEADVILLEHUSKY Husqvarna
    A Class

i got the forks done, very easy compared to my beta rev 3!still gathering partsalmost there! might paint the plastic tank,cant seem to make it white enough. if i paint plastic bumpers on every car i repair why a tank! anyone had luck with this?got lucky with the seat little bite of clean up and looks new.fired it up to heat the ehaust paint second kick! gota replace origal kill button ,shocking!a couple more weeks and i will have it just about done!

Attached Files:

11. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nice work. I will be starting my restorations soon once I get electricity in my barn/workshop. Room for several Huskys and a pair of convertibles( Jag and Saab)
  12. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Good decal sets. I have used both the 1983 and the 1984 sets. 83 needs some claer on the tank over them for protection. 84 set is easy on but the thinness of tank will be fragile without clear vinyl protection and the tank inserts are not the thick plastic ones.
    Joe
  13. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Gas these days is horrible on its "sweating" through the tank. Even with sealers (that you would not think required on a plastic tank!) graphics will bubble. The 84-87 tanks werent really plastic either. The were a nylon resin. Must use a sealer or graphics will suffer on the tank.
  14. oldhuskychuck Husqvarna
    A Class

will be making some red neck over built heat stoves for Leadville Husky....yea...
    if you cant over do it , it aint worth building right....
  15. LEADVILLEHUSKY Husqvarna
    A Class

good! cold day out there workn! allmost done!

Attached Files:

16. HuskyT Moderator

Looking sweet!

Updated your thread title to list year model type of bike...(.for people searching teh restoration forum in the future)

Thanks, T
  17. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I checked with my PPG dealer before I bought the PPG Concept for the frames and plastic. It is flexible enough for the plastic and the key to painting fuel tanks is to seal the inside with something like Caswell I bought for my Montesa Cota fuel tank and use an adhesion promoter on the outside. When I got my Cota, someone had over-painted it with the wrong paint and the fuel wept through the plastic and bubbled it. I think it is best to coat the inside of an old plastic tank because it also reinforces them structurally. Some have split apart from UV damage.
  18. LEADVILLEHUSKY Husqvarna
    A Class

ive heard bad things about coating, the feul up here just eats it away, i scrubed it down with comet cleaner, than 600 grit all the way up 3000 wet looks ok not perfect but it will do, would like to find a nos tank thats been sitting on a shelf but thats probeley gonna cost more than i paid for the bike, i should have it all done by the first of the year. will post some finshed pics very soon
  19. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Actual if you look around,you'd be surprised what you can find. I found
    a N.O.S. 84 tank last year at Mid Ohio, last day of the swap meet,don't
    know how i missed it, i walked pass it a hundred times for $60.00 :eek:.

Problem is, I don't want to put gas in it, so it sits on the self while my 500CR has a similiar semi cleaned tank on it , crazy ain't?

Husky John
  20. LEADVILLEHUSKY Husqvarna
    A Class

well this bike isnt gonna be a show piece, just a clean xc 250, still got org. tires and brakes ! was just a little un loved .after racing my 500 cr last summer its hard to wanna ride that little 250. back to back motos are hard on a guy