1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1983 wr 250 muffler home made?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by fe600racer, Dec 31, 2019.

1. fe600racer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250 wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    husaberg
    Hi. Has anyone made their own muffler at home for their husky particularly 83 year? Has anyone found a good cheap after market one? I was thinking I could use copper pipe for the internal then wrap with an aluminium pipe attaching the copper core with rivets. Copper would be easy to braze.....is copper a problem.....most cores are steel is it just expense or does copper have other problems?
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Copper is not as rigid. The inside perforated steel part of the silencer is actually pretty light. The problem with creating something else is the mounting. I would modfy something, like a new take off sold on ebay or swap meet. There may well be aftermarket inexpensive silencers, chain saw parts and lawn mower spindles are shipped in from China for silly little money.
  3. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
    Talk to Darin- Dartyppyt. He welded a bunch up and may be able to steer you in the right direction for your year. But i haven't seen him here for a while.
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    FMF makes a universal muffler/SA that can be ordered in two different inlet diameters to work with smaller or larger dirt bikes. I bought one for a 1986 Kawasaki KDX 200 , and got it to fit with the supplied inlet pipe.
    [IMG]DSC_0019 by Paris in the springtime, on Flickr
  5. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
    Sorry i missed the MUFFLER part:p . Happy New Year:cheers:
  6. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    If you're riding on public land, as well as some private tracks, you'll need to have a spark arrestor incorporated into the silencer which will add to the build cost. The silencer/spark arrestor dirt dame mentions looks like a good one. Theres also a couple of aftermarket ones that have a 70's vintage look if you're thinking of equipping your 250WR. AMS racing and Speed and Sport both have them to fit the Husky 40mm stinger and the ones from Speed and Sport have the centrifugal spark arrestor incorporated, taking after the JR Krizman design. Last I checked they were in the $115 range.

If you still want to create your own you can find a used Answer on Ebay. They acquired JR Krizman decades ago so they have the centrifugal spark arrestor incorporated. You may have to change the inlet size to fit the Husky and they're a little long but it sounds like you're a tinkerer so modifying one shouldn't be an issue for you.
    DeathFromAbove and Steve-F like this.
  7. fe600racer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250 wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    husaberg
    Thanks all. That gives me some ideas to follow.
  8. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    you can go to a muffler shop and they will have a length of 3.5" exhaust tube and lengths of preforated tube in different sizes. you will need to measure the stinger diam and make sure your pref tube will fit over it. cut some 3.5" diam circles to make end plates and bore inlet and outlet holes, weld the pref tube into the outlet and then make sure it fits into the inlet cap. all you need then is to fix the end caps and fabricate a mount and the joiner pipe
  9. fe600racer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250 wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    husaberg
    I bit the bullet and bought an HVA muffler. Well built and light. Have not started the bike with it on yet but it looks good. The seat bolt does not clear the muffler lug though so I will need to grind the lug down a bit or just put the bolt in the other way.

I need to get or fabricate a speedo cable wire protector next.

Attached Files:

10. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    The fork mounted wire cable protector/guide is the same from 1978 to 1987. Part number 15 17 306-01