1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1983 wr 250 gearbox oil?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by fe600racer, Jan 15, 2020.

1. fe600racer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250 wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    husaberg
    I was wondering if there are better oils now for my 83 gearbox instead of the SAE 20 per the manual?
  2. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Yes, there is. Without wishing to open yet another oil debate ....
    I have been using Silkolene Medium Gear Oil for the last 35 years, and I've never had a gearbox or clutch issue.
    Everyone has their favorite.
  3. moto_surfer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430XC/ Silver Streak/TE300
    I like a hybrid mix of 300ml. Coconut oil, 900ml. 90 wt. Royal Purple, & 400ml. KY lubricant =1600ml. But I hear a lot of guys swear by ATF type F
    stormer254 and wrx like this.
  4. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    SPECTRO golden gear. 80w
  5. fe600racer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250 wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    husaberg
    Thanks. I have heard also that atf is used in the gearboxes.....I recall ATF in forks but is ATF a bit light for gearbox?
  6. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    In my experience, using ATF in straight cut motorcycle trans results in quite a bit of visible metal in the oil... Several years ago I contacted Maxima Oil... they sell ATF and wet clutch gear oils and they told me due to the popularity of racers using ATF they tested both side-by-side in their Supercross team bikes and measured significantly more trans wear with ATF. Their ATF was the more expensive product but they recommended not using it and using their MTL line of gear oils. They said that straight cut motorcycle trans gear teeth are narrow and highly loaded compared to planetary and helical automotive trans gears and the motorcycle trans has different lubrication requirements ATF can't meet.

That said, many swear by ATF and I think KTM specifies it in some of their new bikes. :excuseme:

Then I found the original letter I received from Malcolm Smith Motorcycles with my new Husky several decades ago and they recommended Torco gear oil... I've been using Torco MTF-L since and have been very happy with it.

Note that the SAE uses two completely different rating scales for motor and gear oils... a 75w gear oil is equivalent to a light weight motor oil.... Maxima says their 75w is approximately 10w-30... I think Torco told me their MTF-L is equivalent to 20 weight motor oil but I don't remember for sure... it's what they recommended. The Torco stopped the cold "clutch drag" completely.
    Vinskord likes this.
  7. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    Viscosity Grading System Chart for reference:

Viscosity-Chart - Copy.jpg
    markt2 and DeathFromAbove like this.
  8. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    ive been using briggs and stratton oil in the 400 lc, no probs, great clutch action...have used Atf F as well with good results...the trick with ATF is to change it regularily
  9. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    Atf but change it often