1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1982 430 WR starting build, ADVICE please!

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by IMvintage, Jan 24, 2011.

1. IMvintage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 KTM 350 XC-F 2002 Gas GasEC300
    Any lessons learned from you guys that have done a 430 rebuild?
    I know I want repro side covers for clutch and ignition, and a compression release.What else do I need?
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I would really have to access how much use is on the bike you have in order to give you a good answer. How much you intend on riding it and how hard you intend on riding it might also be a consideration. One of the first things to assess is the condition of the kick starting components especially the condition of the small gear on the back of the clutch. I think the holes for the swingarm pivot could be through thicker material if you wanted to use it a lot and they may be larger than origional. As for your reproduction clutch cover, you can get good used ones if you will pay more than the next guy, buying stuff other than in person can prove less than satisfactory especially if you use a payment method you don't understand how returns work (not that I do). I assume you are looking for that extra fastner never on the air cooled clutch covers is why you want reproduction? The ignition cover is just a plastic thing with three bolt holes isn't it?

Since you asked what else you need and it is the woods racer model, you need some woods to ride it in where no one is going to come up with a sound meter.
  3. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

May also want to pick up the extended clutch actuating arm from phil at husky parts. makes the clutch easier.

Joe
  4. IMvintage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    It's gonna be a crank up rebuild as the Gomer (previous owner) who used to own it wrung off ignition rotor nut trying to remove in wrong direction,nice huh?
    That will give me a chance to inspect inside cases, already know kicker gear is broken along with clutch cover.
    Couldn't hurt to have stronger sand cast clutch cover and cast ignition cover and compression release.
    Couldn't pass up with a basket case I could get some parts from, not the clutch cover of course it was broken also!
    Do have a good crank and an extra set of gears,extra clutch...
  5. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    You can get good sandcast clutch and ignition covers from DC Plastics. The OEM clutch cover is near impossible to find on eBay or else where. Ask me how I know...
    http://www.dcvmx.com/xcart/product.php?productid=19196&cat=304&page=1 The clutch cover is attractive while not being OEM and is made from aluminum. Much better for a rider because cheaper to weld

Jim...
    I am moderating this post due to the supsect issues with the HVA supplied covers. Not known at this time if HVA has corrected or addressed this problem. I invite them to post up if so....

HuskyT - Moderator
  6. SA63 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 510, 500 auto , 86 510
    Not meaning to jack this thread but on the covers, I see a few places are still selling the repro clutch covers in the uk and US. Have the tolerance problems been addressed yet? Really Unfortunate for all concerned.

I went through the process of machining and bushing a flogged out kickstart to get a usable cover for a 4/t. Basically when it was done it was misaligned, and I spent a long time marking/ sanding to to get a non binding kick action.I essentially had to ovalise the hole to make it work, but no leaks, and having look at several other covers now it is a pretty sloppy fit in general. It looks like the alignment is pretty bad on the repro units though if the shaft doesnt clear the plate though. I see the bolt misalignment as pretty minor, as I am guessing the original holes are close to 7mm.

Has anyone made the repro cover fit (by increasing tolerances) or is it too far out?
    Though if you are selling these it should fit straight on (esp in these days of CNC machining)

Its a damn shame the product is 90 % there and obviously the problems can be rectified, but I assume the guy who made them ran out on it (no money?or whatever) Has HVA factory bought out the original guy?
  7. IMvintage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Great advice guys, this is the kind of useful info I was interested in!
    I would also invite HVA to post because I believe there to be some redeeming qualities to a heavier cast aluminum cover if the fit issues are addressed.
  8. oldhuskychuck Husqvarna
    A Class

a decomp????man up, and start that bike,....lol..
    still cant see any 2 stroke that needs a decomp....
  9. IMvintage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    No doubt whether I can start it , just don't want it to hurt itself again!!!
    Having trouble finding a replacement clutch cover as it is, the original looks like somebody tried to weld it with a stick welder or something definitely not fixable ???
  10. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Why make it harder than it needs to be? Even my old John Deere model D had decomps!
  11. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Did you moderate Huskydoggs video also of the three covers get got from HVA that wouldn't fit? Thought it was on this thread.......
  12. IMvintage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    It was on this thread,saved me from possibly making expensive mistake?
    Still like the concept,but they've got to fit properly!
  13. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I am a little confused about the source of the mis-aligned covers. Is it the source of the DC Plastics supplied cover or did someone buy the rights to replicate the original Husqvarna air-cooled cover from Hus/Cagiva or Hus/BMW?
  14. IMvintage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    If there is a good source for these covers that would back up their product, I'd sure like to know?
  15. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The original covers are magnesium. I have 2 that have been welded and am missing a cover for my 82 430WR engine. It came with a plugged W/C cover. I have 1 excellent cover on my 84 250WR that I am toying with the idea of using it for a model to cast a plastic model to send out for casting. The critical part is the machining of bolt , shaft, and seal holes
  16. HuskyT Moderator

Gentlemen,

This cover is made by HVA ( UK source) . As far as I can tell ( open to correction if I am wrong) the same part is sold in the US by DC plastics. DC Plastics Link-
    http://www.dcvmx.com/xcart/product.php?productid=19196&cat=304&page=1

To allow HVA time to respond to Steve's problems on his specific three covers , CH moderated the original Specific HVA Cover thread. At this time I am still unsure if HVA has solved any of the problems Steve had. As such, I have restored the specific HVA Case Cover thread. You will now see it as a sticky at the top of the Vintage Left Kickers Forum.

HVA as well as Steve(huskydoggg) and anyone are welcome to reply in that thread with the intended result to get a good quality part out there for everyone or come up with fixes for the existing product.

HVA Case cover Open Discussion Thread - http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/hva-aluminum-case-covers-open-discussion-thread.16581/

T
    Flying Trash Can likes this.
  17. HuskyT Moderator

18. HuskyT Moderator

IMVintage - I would like to say that I am sorry your thread has inadvertantly been diverted to discussing HVA case covers.

My apologies. T

Gentlemen and ladies: future post regarding HVA case covers should be posted in the appropriate thread. Let's give IM his Thread back
  19. IMvintage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    This is the biggest problem that I have with the bike at present, so it's my fault!
    I obviously struck a nerve of sorts so some things needed to be said on this topic anyway.
    Anything that develops from this will help my build !!
  20. IMvintage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    I am now waiting on a water cooled cover to show up (Ebay purchase) so I can make a nice block off plate.
    Gotta have something to use until this thing with the clutch covers can be resolved.