1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1982 250xc

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Husq.fleet, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Moved this over to projects

I have said before hauling a Husky around leads to more! At local track Sunday am and guy comes over to look at my 82 CR250 and ends up telling me he knows were another one is and can be had pretty cheap. I say "cool" let me know. He shows up at my house Monday evening with it. He was nice enough to go get it from his friend who just gave it to him! I ended up knowing the family that gave it to him and have known their life struggles. I sent him back with a $250 check.

So what is it? 1982 250XC with headlight and WR rear fender. It is a very low hour bike with hardly a rockchip in the lower frame paint. Engine is siezed, clear gas in tank-no pre-mix. Brand new tires, only two small dings in tank. Pegs have no noticeable wear. Bonus was seeing it also had a Asche pipe on it also! Not even a small rock ding or nothing in it. Forks still have the factory crosshatch in them that hasn't been worn off with the seals/grit either. Checked shocks, no leaks and still charged. Pics below were as it showed up, weeds and a few yellowjackets. Throw a Husky in the truck for bait and go "fishing"
    Attached Thumbnails

Attached Files:

2. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Discoveries

Was told engine was siezed when I got it and kicker did nothing but "freewheel". Considering its former home I suspected no pre-mix but it had mixed gas in it. Pulled clutch cover to find out whhy kicker wouldnt engage, found pawl toasted from someone trying to kick it. Pulled pipe and had look into cylinder, could see piston and it looked good? Pulled jug and no siezure but found some corrosion in bottom end- white magnesium "fuzz" Tight crank cheek fit to case and some corrosion has it stiff. So I'm pulling engine for a case split.

Thats the bad, now the good. Found out it does have a very nice Asche pipe on it which is cool- I guess? Pipe was still very tight on exhaust spigot. Very nice standard bore and piston which I'll reuse. Having clutch over off I pulled clutch and it looks brand new, no plate "hammer marks" on basket. Kicker gear and Idler on clutch look factory fresh.

I wish I knew more history on this bike as I had never seen it before. Someone and not the previous owner had a specific intention for it with the WR headlamp and rear fender. Wiring is very nicely done and fully wrapped with tape. Kickstand "foot" is not even bent or hardly rock chipped. Tensioner roller arm is still straight? It has sat for a long time though somewhat under a cover but not enough to keep elements off.

Project tasks will be to go through engine. While engine is out repack swingarm bearings with grease, steering head also. Check brakes and wheel bearings. Put XC rear fender and number plate on and whatever else I cant stand not to do.
  3. Trailridernut Husqvarna
    A Class

So where's the pic's??!:cheers:
  4. Trailridernut Husqvarna
    A Class

:doh:Ooops... it's amazing when you look! LOL!!
  5. oldhuskychuck Husqvarna
    A Class

i own that bikes twin sister... she,s a little nicer,...id sure like that pipe,,,
    My 82 WR is a little faster then this XC... loose motor vs tight motor

Attached Files:

6. Trailridernut Husqvarna
    A Class

Looks Nice! I just picked up a 430wr and a 250cr, both '82 this weekend - sold the 430(already have one) and plan on doing a nut/bolt resto on the 250 for next seasons ride. I've owned Huskys a long time and have NEVER ridden an '82 cr and heard they run very well... hope so, it's a basket case.
  7. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a 82 CR 250 and love it, hope you like yours.:thumbsup:It was a basket case also. It got only a mechanical restoration as riding season was fast approaching! I did a few upgrades on mine, pipe,porting, new generation Ohlins with crossover, 18" rear wheel, DLS front. Other than some heavier front fork springs to match the new Ohlins I'm done other than running alot of gas through it. Here is a pic, I'm the fat guy on the right.... Start a resto thread on it for all to enjoy!

Attached Files:

8. mattmcphail Husqvarna
    AA Class

9. Trailridernut Husqvarna
    A Class

I would be more than happy to "exersise" it for you!:D
  10. boulderbasher Husqvarna

1982 husqvarna xc 430

hey guys ,, my buddie just picked up a 1982 husky 250 xc also today!!! i found the bike about 6 months ago and the owner kept going back and forth over selling it .. i knew the original owner and it has low hours also.. just figured i'd chime in and see if anyone would would be interested in my 1982 husky 430 xc .. i got it from the original owner who bought it at malcolm smith husky new in 1982 and had a monster ms tank installed at the dealer.... he left the tank there too (duhhh) .. i installed a 1983 tank and was planning on painting it black but haven't got around to it... this bike has the original trlleborg front and rear tires and the rear is at least 60% front 70% if that says anything about the time on this bike... i am asking $1999 if anyone is interested.. call me 973 670 1496 eric i am putting all my time and money into a 1983 honda cr 480r and this bike is too nice to vintage race i think... see ya
  11. boulderbasher Husqvarna

pics of 1982 husky 430 xc

oops sorry forgot pics!!

Attached Files: