1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1981 430 CR Restoration Thread

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by steve1970, May 23, 2023.

1. steve1970 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 430 CR, 84 500 XC, 2023 501 FEs
    Other Motorcycles:
    1997 YZ 125
    I brought home a mostly complete, non running '81 430 CR (see my other intro thread). I've got it taken apart/organized. The plan is a full restoration as time permits. I'll update and ask questions in this thread. I'm starting on the Ohlins piggyback shocks. They're pretty rough and like the rest of the bike, will need a full going through. I sourced the Ohlins maintenance procedure as well as the archived magazine article from links here on this forum (thanks!).

Any tips on prying these circlips out of the shock body without scuffing up the inside of the shock body? I pretty quickly got to this point and then stopped. I tried a few sizes of screwdriver but I can't get much leverage and I don't want to slip and gouge the body up. Tips?

Attached Files:

2. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    You will need to press that seal head down to give you room to get that c-clip out. There is a special tool used to hold the shock and lever arm to press that seal head down. But sometimes you cand press the seal head down without the tool. I just use a sharp scribe to get in behind the clip and then use another scribe or very small and very sharp screwdriver at the same time to lever the C-clip up and out. Did you find a manual for rebuilding the shocks?

Marty
  3. steve1970 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 430 CR, 84 500 XC, 2023 501 FEs
    Other Motorcycles:
    1997 YZ 125
    Thanks for the reply Marty. I ended up fashioning some tools out of small cheap screwdrivers similar to what you describe using my MAP torch and bench grinder. Much appreciated. I got the clips out and the bearing below them without damaging anything. Ran out of time after that. Next up is the washers and the piston, which I will have to fashion another tool for based on what I've read in the manual and the old cycle world article on rebuilding. A threaded rod with a t handle, or maybe I'll get away with just using a long machine screw.