1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1980 Husqvarna 390 Or > Questions

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by gnlkrmz, Aug 9, 2020.

1. gnlkrmz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 Husqvarna 390 OR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1971 BMW R75/5
    Hello everyone,
    Since i picked up my 390, I've been learning a lot from cafehusky forum. Thank you all !!:cheers:

I would like to ask couple of questions + get your thoughts ;

1) Right now machine is jetted / tuned for 4500ft - I am at sealevel, do you guys think it would be fine or would it run too lean? Do i have to rejet it ?

2) Bike had been ran with 80:1 Ratio (Amsoil Synthetic 2-stroke Oil Saber Professional) and im thinking about continuing same too. I know this oil topics are getting bit complicated. But looks like bike is running very well so far, and previous owner suggested for me to continue same way.
    Please let me know if anyone else using the same ratio + Amsoil oil and what their experience is.

3) This question is electrical ; Im still trying to understand differences of ignition systems on these machines , (I believe i have Motoplat CDI.)
    Im thinking about adding headlight on my bike. Does this year already have the setup for it ? or do I have to upgrade my ignition for a light kit setup?

4) For the parts and finding the right part pdf- Is my model has mostly the same parts beginning from 1977 to 1981 ?

and I thought i should add couple of images of the machine:)

Thanks in advance,

1980_Husqvarna_390 OR_1.jpeg 1980_Husqvarna_390 OR_2.jpeg 1980_Husqvarna_390 OR_3.jpeg

1979_OR_250.jpg
    Steve-F and 87husky500xc like this.
  2. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Just sent you a PM.
    gnlkrmz likes this.
  3. 87husky500xc Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 tx300i and a few vintage bikes
    Other Motorcycles:
    77 honda xr-75..
    Sweet bike man! That’s one of the best looking huskys built imo.
    gnlkrmz likes this.
  4. gnlkrmz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 Husqvarna 390 OR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1971 BMW R75/5
    Thank you !! I do love this era too...
    I found it very close to your area, you might even see it before...who knows :)
  5. 87husky500xc Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 tx300i and a few vintage bikes
    Other Motorcycles:
    77 honda xr-75..
    Quite possibly. Know a few guys out this way who ride vintage plus I race the Grand Prix up here every year and the mrann series. Doesn’t seem to bring up any exact memories but who knows haha I have a 79 390 or that I was planning on building this year but with all the craziness going on those plans have been slightly halted for the time being. They are awesome bikes. The motoplat ignition coils should have a plug for lighting. At least the ones I have seen do.
  6. gnlkrmz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 Husqvarna 390 OR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1971 BMW R75/5
    Just wanted to mention about him when i noticed your location :)
    You do have a very nice project for sure, basically identical to what i have.
    yes, im gonna check everything this weekend. including the ignition.

Thanks to grouty he was a huge help...he answered all my questions and im still in conversation with him.

Right now machine is jetted / tuned for 4500ft​ - I am at sea level, do you guys think it would be fine or would it run too lean? Do i have to rejet it ?

i had little bit of chance to go couple of blocks today in my neighborhood ( Couldnt do a proper test ride yet. )....I noticed bike didn't start when it was hot. Kicked bunch of times but no start...
    But looks like its running lean and i do need to rejet ( Idle Circuit)
  7. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Old Motoplats don't like being hot ! Also worth doing a leakdown test, just to make sure it's not sucking air when hot. Check the cylinder nuts are torqued down correctly as they have a habit of coming loose.
  8. gnlkrmz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 Husqvarna 390 OR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1971 BMW R75/5
    ok, Im gonna check those too, and l am looking in to upgrading motoplat too.