1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1980 390 wr

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by james remmert, Jan 18, 2017.

1. james remmert Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390 wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 triumph t12o
    HI, first attempt at this from a new member. 1980 390 wr leaking trans oil from counter shaft behind countershaft sprocket. I removed sprocket and cover hoping to find a seal but nothing. I hope i dont have to split cases for a internal seal! any help would be appreciated. THANKS JIM
  2. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09

Attached Files:

84scrambler likes this.
  3. james remmert Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390 wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 triumph t12o
    THANKS for the help ruwfo but still have the problem. the pdf was a big help. the problem i have is a nylon spacer that goes over counter shaft from engine case to sprocket it is almost the same diameter as the seal holder, cover. i dont see any room for a seal. the od of the shaft and the id of the cover is tight, maybe 1 mm difference. miss matched parts? dont want to take up your time, but your help is greatly appreciated. luv the huskys. iv,e owned a 70 400 cross, 74 250 mag, 76 400wr, 80 3900r 82 430cr, 87 430xc. you can see i,am addicted. boy i wish i had the 400 cross and 82 430 cr back. now at 71 years old i got this 80 390wr to putt around on, trying to sort out some problems. THANKS again Jim
  4. fredB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 Husqvarna 250 OR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1991 Honda XR600, 1980 Yamaha YZ250
    I'm Fred and this is my first ever post so please forgive me if I violated any protocols. James, my bike has the same issue yours does. It is a 1980 250 OR with the MN frame prefix and 2081 engine tag. My bike's kickstand bracket broke recently so I leaned the bike against the garage wall, tilted to the right. Soon after, a growing pool of oil collected on the floor. This was not the usual drips but a large amount. I removed the countershaft sprocket, spacer, and the four screws holding on the cover/plate, or whatever the correct name is, that surrounds the spacer. With the four screws and cover removed, oil readily drained out the lower two screw holes when the bike was tilted. I put the lower two back in to stop the leaks for now, while working on the bike. I may put the other two in, fill up the crankcase, tilt the bike and see if oil drains out between the shaft and seal. As you can see in the photo, assuming I posted it properly, the 1980 engine parts look different when compared to the 1979 parts pdf shown. I have read that the 1980 engine has some changes from the 1979. So, like you explained in your post, I don't think the seal for the 1979 model will work. It would not fit into the 1980's cover as shown in the pdf for the 1979. This is my first Husky so I am no expert and could easily be missing something. I hope this can be fixed without taking the engine apart, but if not, a rebuild wouldn't hurt, except in my pocketbook. I love the looks of this model and hope to get a 1980 390 OR or WR someday.

I read somewhere that a guy corrected this problem on his bike by lathing a groove in the back side of the spacer, and inserting an o ring in the groove.

Attached Files:

5. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The seal on the bearing is weeping oil. I silicone the four screw cover on then silicone the spacer to the shaft. It will cut down on the leakage. Or you could buy a new bearing and remove the plastic seal on the bearing and replace it on the bearing in the case if there the same brands. Carefully remove the seals. So far the silicone trick works for me.
  6. Houredout401 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '77 CR250 '78WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '76MR250 '83IT250 '84 IT490 '69CT70
    No seal on the CS???!!! What kind of design is that? How the heck would that collar, on a splined shaft, seal? Oring sounds like a smart fix, modern bikes use that design.
  7. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    typical sweedish fix..don't lean the bike over on the sprocket side
  8. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Maico did the same thing , rely on the seal on the bearing .
  9. SnoDrtRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 WR 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 BMW F 800 GS,1974 Yamaha TY 250
    Automatic Chain Lube...
  10. GreySeaEagle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    74 CR250, 77 360 Auto, 79 390 Auto,
    I had this issue on my 390Cr - from what I could work out it was a sort of hybrid from the 77-79 model and the 80 390 motor. It had the tag on crankcase designating 77-79 model (2061) and came out of an MM frame, but had the following differences:
    The drive shaft was the larger size found on the 80 model (the 77-79 models had a smaller drive shaft) and had the splines coming through the bearing - leaving gaps. This was filled by the nylon spacer you referred to...... but like yours was a poor solution and leaked oil. I found a later model drive shaft that had the no splines where it sits on the bearing - problem solved.
    One other oddity about the motor - I had to replace the base gasket and found the 77-79 gasket didn't fit. I ordered the gasket for the 80 model and it fitted!
    Hope this helps - confused me at the time!
  11. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Remember what I posted before they changed the size of the transfer ports. We need to double check when we buy used parts. They also switched from a 36mm bing carb to a 38mm mikuni also. Makes sense larger transfer ports more fuel flow.

I believe there was a problem with the smaller out put shaft so they upgraded to the larger diameter shaft with more splines.

To cut down on the oil seepage out of the splines I put silicone on the spacer were the splines are. I also silicone on the four screw plate.
  12. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    I had to replace the base gasket and found the 77-79 gasket didn't fit. I ordered the gasket for the 80 model and it fitted!

The 80 390 top end is a single year only part, they spread the cylinder bolt further apart so the could increase the bore for the 430 in 1981, but the bottom end should be the same as the 79, except as you noted.
  13. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Yup my Husqvarna '81 250 was different on the base gasket. I think it took the newer one we use today in the 80's bikes. The rectangle transfer ports, not the smaller angled ports.