1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1980 390 OR + Lectron Overflow

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by gnlkrmz, Sep 25, 2020.

1. gnlkrmz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 Husqvarna 390 OR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1971 BMW R75/5
    Hi Everyone,
    I finally decided to get Lectron for my husky, Im opening this thread because i have an overflow issue and my bowl is full to the top all the time after a quick ride.
    i thought maybe someone else might bump in to same issue, or it might help someone when i actually resolve the issue for future reference.

husqvarna_390or_Emrah (1 of 18).jpg > This is after i stop the bike, the bowl is full and some fuel is dripping from the vent line.

PHASE 1
    A) I did install the Lectron and turned on the petcock, Fuel flowed nicely. and float bowl was at perfect level.
    B) With a bit of throttle and couple of kicks, bike started right away...
    C) Then i took the bike for a quick test ride.
    D) After 5 min. my carburetor started to overflow. I stopped and checked my float bowl, and it was full to the top. i couldnt see and gap / space...
    E) I did empty the bowl by idling the machine, and tried the WD40 + Compressed air trick . (just in case maybe something was in
    F) Then i tried to run the bike again. it seemed leveled in float bowl but when i took it for a ride. It started to overflow again
    PHASE 2
    So, after talking to Lectron ; they mentioned it happens because of vibration and to resolve the issue they will be sending me a new "Needle Seat Valve"
    I got the new part and installed it today. Took it for a ride. Bike was running pretty good, response was very good too.
    But soon as i stopped to check the bowl, i noticed Vent line was trying to get rid of fuel, and float bowl was full again :(
    I will be calling them again, but i like to know if anyone experienced the same issue with their lectron, and maybe experts here might have suggestions.
    husqvarna_390or_Emrah (7 of 18).jpg
    Replacing Needle Seat Valve
    husqvarna_390or_Emrah (11 of 2d18).jpg

Thank you
  2. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Did you check the float height ?
    gnlkrmz likes this.
  3. gnlkrmz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 Husqvarna 390 OR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1971 BMW R75/5
    That will be next, but i didnt wanna touch the floats at the moment because Lectron is sending me one more Float Seat Valve (3.5mm 6 Holes)
    which should arrive this weekday. Hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Grouty, do you happen to know what kind of Float seat valve you have on your Auto 390 ?
  4. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Sorry, I don't. I have never had the need to remove the float bowl yet.
  5. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    On a 390, the carb is tipped a little towards engine. If i set my VM at correct float height, level with bowl, it spews gas. If is set the float a little lower, then it is fine. Should be in your float adjustment.
  6. gnlkrmz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 Husqvarna 390 OR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1971 BMW R75/5
    Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for your replies.
    quick update;

Lectron sent me another Needle seat Valve (3.5mm 6 hole)
    For Gravity or very low pressure, High Flow

Click > for Needle Seat Valve Image > Looks like this needle seat valve is totally different then what i had on the carb before)

Today i went for a test ride, and bike was running great !! It was little bit on rich side but didnt mind at all because pick up was very good no matter which gear i was.
    No overflow, and after the ride float bowl level was perfect. Looks like problem resolved after replacing to this needle seat valve.

Only problem i have left is starting the bike probably.
    What happens is i have to Turn the idle screw in (about HALF or 1 turn in) to start, then bike warms up and idle goes crazy high and i have to get the screw back again to get it in balance.
    This isnt the best practice to keep adjusting idle screw in and out to start the bike.
    But i am in touch with Lectron about this topic too, and hopefully we'll find a way to fix it.

--------------------------------------------------

[IMG]
    (For admins; I can not upload image or embed image via google photos) - When i try to embed it shows a broken image icon.

Im noticing that you are working on sorting out things on the forum, Thank you.
    But If you guys are thinking about disabling image upload, that would create problem for future ( i think image upload size / dimension limit would help to keep bandwidth low as possible) - I noticed from other forums when they dont allow image upload, after a certain timeframe all the images and content gets lost, and all the useful information gets lost with it, and it turns in to duplicates of topics without solid information.

[IMG]
    Prairieboy43 likes this.