1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1980/1979 XC/OR rebuild

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Murph, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Murph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi, at last I have managed to start taking a few pictures of the rebuild. The first two are of the bike when I got it, with the original 1979 OR frame. I decided to change the frame and found a nice 1980 XC frame, although to be honest I was a bit hasty. Anyway, I now have a modified and repainted XC frame waiting for the motor, which is currently being rebuilt by Rod Spry.

I have cleaned up and repainted the Works Performance Magna shocks and they will be serviced shortly. I will also have the wheels rebuilt with a pair of Sun rims. I am sticking with a 17 inch rear rim, simply because it meant I got the rims cheap, and I like the look of the rear wheel with the 17 inch rim. The only problem is the lack of tyre choice, but they are available.

Front end will be a pair of 36 mm forks off a YZ. The original forks would have needed a lot of work [read:money] to rebuild and I am doing this bike on a budget. I had the YZ forks in the garage doing nothing so the yokes were taken out to 36 mm and on they will go.

Once I get the motor back I will take some more pics. Hope you like the work so far.

View attachment 6300

View attachment 6301

View attachment 6302

View attachment 6303

View attachment 6304
  2. Murph Husqvarna
    AA Class

A couple more pics

Here are a couple more pics of the chassis. Tank and seat in position, forks installed and airbox in place. One shock body holding the swingarm in position, but the shocks are still not yet serviced.

Pleased with how the frame is looking, and also pleased with my front brake stay, made out of stainless steel with a few holes drilled (important to save as much weight as possible ;) )and then sprayed black.

Sorry the pics are not that good and the garage is in a right mess at the moment. Hope to get the motor back in a couple of weeks, so will put a few more pics up then.

I have had the rims anodised black and they are at the builders now, so things are starting to move. :applause:

View attachment 6684

View attachment 6685
  3. tommie d Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Twenty one and counting
    Other Motorcycles:
    Two Honda's
    Murph,
    I don't know if it's just me or not but I can't see your pictures. It's telling me "Invalid Attachment specified"
  4. Murph Husqvarna
    AA Class

That is strange, I can't open them either, even when I am logged in. They were definitely there when I put them on, if you know what I mean. I will see if I can put them on again later.
  5. HuskyT Moderator

Still not working... link to images does not work...

T
  6. Murph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Latest on the project

Here are the latest pics of the 390 rebuild. Sorry I cannot re post the ones that have disappeared as I don't have them on my PC now. :banghead:

Certainly not a show winning rebuild, but hopefully one that most people will like. Forks off a YZ and M Robert guards. Flat slide carb off a 1984 Husky CR250. Everything is coming together nicely now and all I need is the ignition and a silencer and chain and that should be it.

Update on the ignition. I have had it tested by Steve Hardaker in Spain and the stator is perfect, however the coil I bought is the wrong one. It is from an early Husky and will not work with this stator. Luckily Steve can help me with a suitable coil for a reasonable price so soon will have good sparks.

Hope you like it. Sorry my little garage/workshop is not up to the standards of some of you guys. :notworthy:

View attachment 8117

View attachment 8118

View attachment 8119

Attached Files: