1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1979 CR 390 - Engine re-build

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Bengt Husky, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

My good mate's 1979 CR 390 came to a grinding halt at Farleigh castle last year and I've been asked to strip her down to find out why ?

Basically the gearbox has sh1t itself....see pics, but I've found a few odd bits that I would like to share that I've not seen before. The piston has two rings for a start, but the main issue is the crank half shaft isn't a mail thread, which is what I was expecting to see. I've not looked at one of these for years and I'm not sure if the Motorplat hasn't been changed as well.

The old man is coming down at the weekend to give me a hand but I thought I'd ask the fellow Husky experts for their opinion.

Picture 009.jpg
  2. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not seen this type of motoplat before...is this an update from the original ? Also not plane shaft end..?

Picture 005.jpg
  3. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

5th - 6th Gear well and truely shagged...!!!

Picture 013.jpg
  4. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

one possible culprit for the gearbox crapping itself. The circlip holding gear 411 (6th) in place wasn't properly located allowing gear to lift.

Picture 010.jpg
  5. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Twin ring piston..

Picture 002.jpg
  6. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Yes: i'd say your gear box sh1t itself. Someone probably snapped the mag side crank end off because they didn't know it has reverse threads. It looks like it was repaired with a female thread end, take the mag off completely & see if the repair was done professional repaired.
    Nothing wrong as long as it's keyed correctly.

As far as a 2 ring piston, it's probably a Wiseco , good replacement, stock Husky ones are single ring, i've got a Wiseco in my 390CR .

Husky John
  7. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    Its interesting how that c-clip came out of its groove. Those suckers are pretty stout and when they are in, its permanent.
    It may be better to consider picking up a complete transmission. I scanned Ebay this morning and found this '81 250 CR transmission that someone is auctioning off. It has a blown 1st gear but Tritrophy in Oregon may have one on hand. Here is the link:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-HUSQVA...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f14755dbf&vxp=mtr
    Husky transmissions are pretty interchangable with other models and years as long as they are six speed. In other words, the case holes are the same for the CR, WR, and OR. They changed the countershaft to more serrations in '81, but I'm pretty sure the entire transmission will fit into a '79 case.
  8. Wildebeest90210 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Twin ring on my Wiseco too. Small W in an oval underside on wrist pin casting.
  9. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the input chaps.

The piston issue is the last of my mates problems at the moment. However, the Wisco piston has a couple of quite big washer / spacers to pack out the small end of the conrod (if that makes sense)

With respect to the motoplat....the guy who did the mod, did a brilliant job of loctite (ing) it one...stuck like sh1t to a blanket. My only real issue is that he used a torx cap head screw with a washer to hold the mag on...? As a result the cap head screw and the mag have made a nice trepanning mark on the mag cover.

IMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG
  10. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Motoplat ? I've never seen one like that on a Husky ?
  11. Wildebeest90210 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm seeing the piston being a minor issue at the moment. As for spacing washers either side of little end, I'm just having some made up in ally bronze for mine as we speak, needs 0.3mm min clearance. If you PM me the dimensions when you finally get back to the top end I'll m/c some up for you. Good luck with the rest !
  12. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Cheers for that mate....I don't need spacers, I was just questioning the use of them. Without measuring them I say they were a couple of mm each side ?
  13. Wildebeest90210 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Probably will be that thick. Check the clearance on re-assembly. You probably know they control the float on the big end ? Worth checking when rebuilding, don't suppose you have checked big end/ crank/mains yet...?
  14. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Only checked mains play by hand (not measured)...no great drama's with that.

No takers on the Magneto I.D ?