1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1978 CR250 steering stem bearings

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by edgo897, Apr 19, 2009.

1. edgo897 Husqvarna
    B Class

Can I get a whole new set somewhere or convert it to tapered bearings?

Thanks,
    Ed
  2. rajobigguy Administrator

Welcome to Cafe Husky.
    If you get the bearing #'s off you're existing bearings I can check the bearing exchange to see if there is a direct replacement. Short of that a good set of angular cantact bearings should acheive what you're after.
  3. edgo897 Husqvarna
    B Class

Who sells angular contact bearings for the conversion?
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold

You will probably (hopefully?) get more of a response in the vintage section so I'll move it over there.

2st -> vintage
  5. edgo897 Husqvarna
    B Class

I was given a 1978 CR250 frame and the plan is to put a Yamaha TT550 motor in it. I want to put a Japanese triple tree and forks on it. Can this be done? I really like the frame, it has enough room for the big four stroke motor. I just want a better front end on it and I don't want to deal with ball bearings.

Thanks,
    Ed
  6. HuskyT Moderator

You can get brand new sets at any of the suppliers listed in the Vintage parts thread http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12

New sets are also available on ebay .

You can also take your old bearings out, reference the PN# and go to somewhere like Applied Industrial and get new bearings

In my experience so far, pricing is usually higher at a bearing house rather than what you see with the vintage parts suppliers....

T
  7. HuskyT Moderator

See this thread.....http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1688

Triple trees/forks from an 81 Husky are a direct swap onto a 1978 Husky .

T
  8. edgo897 Husqvarna
    B Class

I attached a pic of the frame and motor. The first step was will it fit. Making some mounts should be easy. It just needs some beefier forks. This frame has ball bearings. When did Husky switch to roller type bearings and will they work on this steering head? This is a 78 frame right? It is an ML series.

Thanks,
    Ed

Attached Files:

9. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

Try Motion Industries if there's one in your area. Motion is part of the NAPA group of companies and they sell most bearings known to man and lots of other industrial machine components. Good pricing too. Bring what you have or your steering stem and steering head diameters with height dimensions and they should be able to locate what will retrofit.
  10. edgo897 Husqvarna
    B Class

The way this frame is set up makes retro fitting tapered bearings a chore. The bearings are set up like a bicycle. On a 1979 Suzuki RM250 that I restored, all I had to do was remove the trust bearing races and install new races in the head and slip the tapered bearings on the stem. This Husky has no cups to hold the races. I'll probably have to weld cups to the head to make it work.
  11. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    Husky put the Timken bearings in the 79 frames. There was some late ML series with Timkens in them but they were for Autos those frames had longer rear tabs on them for the shorter 420 Auto. Then the next series frame had the differn't style air box and Timken bearings.
  12. edgo897 Husqvarna
    B Class

13. edgo897 Husqvarna
    B Class

Japanese forks grafted.

Attached Files: